kid168

XV01 long damper question

What Tamiya shocks will work with the XV01 chassis kit long damper? I'm looking for the same or similar shocks on the XV01 Pro long damper.  What's the shock length of the pro dampers?

The pro version shocks are too short for the long damper kit if you want to still have decent ground clearance. The shocks needed on the long damper kit are the GF01 damper kit part 54670 (or the identical cc01 dampers 54541) these are easily as good as the TRF dampers on the pro kit as they include the resin pistons, but the They do not include springs, you will need TRF201 front spring kit 54221, hard up front soft out back. If you find the trf201 set too firm you’ll need trf501 front spring kit 53974. Finally if your switching over to the long damper setup you may want to consider the sway bar kit if you have any dreams of running occasionally on grippy surfaces. 

• Like 4

Wow thanks for the info. Will check the parts out.

Just to clarify: There are 2 versions of the XV01 Pro(Rally and TC). Your saying the XV01 Pro Rally dampers are too short? 

1 hour ago, kid168 said:

Wow thanks for the info. Will check the parts out.

Just to clarify: There are 2 versions of the XV01 Pro(Rally and TC). Your saying the XV01 Pro Rally dampers are too short? 

Yes, the Pro Rally dampers are only 55mm. I'm not sure of the TC Pro length, but they're pretty short.

• Like 1

The Pro Rally (Didnt know there was one TBH, I know there is a Pro TC) and the Long Damper are different, I see the first post is talking LD, then Pro is mentioned later

The Long Damper kit requires 65-70mm long shocks, the GF01 set is 65mm with normal eyelet, and 69mm with long eyelet (you would probably use them with the long eyelet) 

the shocks included on the pro rally are 55mm as they are used on the pro rally, with long eyelets you'll get 59mm they use the bodys off 42102 and the shafts vary depending on what car they are on.

Both the Pro Rally and Pro TC use exactly the same shock bodys, but the pro TC uses a longer front shaft (yes the pro TC needs longer shocks than the pro rally due to the reversable suspension arms shock position being wider out and tamiya not making a special shock tower.)

All in all the GF-01 Damper kit is 10mm longer full stop, with about 5mm more shaft stroke. 

Another Option is front buggy shocks, however most of the tamiya options the fronts are not sold separately. 

I've looked at, and tried many options, both aftermarket and tamiya. The GF01 damper set is by far the best option in terms of outright performance and value for money at under $40usd for shocks and springs. You may need to do a bit of trimming on the chassis/arms to get full use of the travel these have, alternatively just put a O ring on the shaft inside to limit that last 2mm of shaft travel you can't use without mods. Forget about what car they are for, they are very very high quality shocks, short of the anodized coating and the gold shafts, they are basically identical to TRF Dampers but a 5mm longer damper body and 5mm longer shafts.

I have tried the yeah racing and 3 racing options, they do not compare, and ultimately a waste of money, I Also tried Gmade XD, while they are good quality they have half the damper shaft travel, and you cannot get soft enough springs.

You'll never go wrong with Genuine tamiya alloy dampers.

If you want the ultimate in performance then 2 pairs of 54504 and 1 pack of 54507 and 1 pack of 54506 that'll set you back about the $100-110 USD Area, you almost certainly need to do some cutting/trimming to squeeze out all the travel they offer.