Grumpy pants

Best Value Rally or Road Chassis New or Used?

I’ve become a bit obsessed with the notion of a road car recently or possibly something that could handle light rally runs-

I’ve had quite a few over the years but they always get sold on as the ability to use them is quite limiting for me, but I’d like 1 or 2 for the odd tarmac blast or track day.

I’ve had nitro Minis and a Golf TT01E amongst others that I have really enjoyed.

But working on a budget of £100 give or take a bit, plus parts then what would you recommend.

It can be new, used, 2WD, 4WD, FWD, RWD, belt driven it’s an open book.

Parts need to be easy to source and sensibly priced, reliable and easy to maintain is important as well.

I recently had a TA03 FS? Which I liked as the motor was at the front and it was 4WD, but the short chassis made body shell options difficult, so it got sold on.

I like Minis, 911’s, E30 M3’s EVO’s a lot 😊

The budget in time could stretch to 1 road car and 1 rally, but I don’t think I can justify the highly rated XV01 to be honest. 

For 4wd shaft, I'd recommend TB-04/Pro,/Pro 2/R

For 4WD belt, TA-05

For FF/FWD, it's the FF-03/Pro/R. This chassis is so versatile and can be set up to on-road or rally with a few modifications.

Not a fan of M-chassis so I'd let the others speak for that. 

• Thanks 1

Second an ff-03. There's a few fans on here and I'm super impressed with mine. Only mods it really needed was the CVD'S.. Just for the better steering angles and to eliminate shudder and Schumacher Sst tyres. Got my Honda Civic from Timetunnelmodels, was around £115 I think. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

For 4WD belt, TA-05

For FF/FWD, it's the FF-03/Pro/R. This chassis is so versatile and can be set up to on-road or rally with a few modifications.

Great tips, thank you.

I really like the FF03 with the Honda Civic body shell in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_C said:

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=111226&lang=eng

Will break budget by the time you get electric and a body on it.

L&L models do various E30 shells. I think you need an M series chassis for a mini to get wheelbase right ?

Funny enough I was looking at that Tamico offer about an hour ago 👍

I think you are right about the M chassis as well.

2 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

Second an ff-03. There's a few fans on here and I'm super impressed with mine. Only mods it really needed was the CVD'S.. Just for the better steering angles and to eliminate shudder and Schumacher Sst tyres. Got my Honda Civic from Timetunnelmodels, was around £115 I think. 

That’s decent @ £115 or there about a I’d be happy with that.

It was probably yours I was admiring recently 👍

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Funny enough I was looking at that Tamico offer about an hour ago 👍

I think you are right about the M chassis as well.

Note the offer ends tonight if  you want to go that way

• Thanks 1

Here are a couple of options, the Lancia is a TT-02s and the Subaru is an old TGS. The TT-02s is pretty stock with just a Tamiya spring set upgrade. The TGS has had a few upgrades, but it ran pretty well in stock setup. All in the TGS running was £130 (69 for car, radio gear and glow start then 60 for a new piston and liner) the TT-02s was new so much more. The TT-02s currently handles much better than the TGS but I am working on it :)

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, hedge said:

Here are a couple of options, the Lancia is a TT-02s and the Subaru is an old TGS. The TT-02s is pretty stock with just a Tamiya spring set upgrade. The TGS has had a few upgrades, but it ran pretty well in stock setup. All in the TGS running was £130 (69 for car, radio gear and glow start then 60 for a new piston and liner) the TT-02s was new so much more. The TT-02s currently handles much better than the TGS but I am working on it :)

I was watching these clips the other day 👍

Love nitro, noise, smoke and action 💥

These are new, the TT-02s motor broke -installation error. So I re-ran the comparison this evening. Once again very close. However once I get the TGS to handle like the TT-02s the the TGS will def be quicker. 

7 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

For 4WD belt, TA-05

I'm interested why you say the TA05 and not TA07, and TB04 and not TB05.  Any reason, or is it just that there are secondhand TA05 and TB04 around so they are much cheaper than the newer cars?

I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on an MO5 kit this week and a Mini body to get me up an running.

I would have liked to buy the TT-02R chassis from Tamico yesterday that was in the sale but I haven't sold my spare Super Champ yet, so it will be for another day.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I'm interested why you say the TA05 and not TA07, and TB04 and not TB05.  Any reason, or is it just that there are secondhand TA05 and TB04 around so they are much cheaper than the newer cars?

I'm not a fan of the bucket/basket type of chassis which are used in the TB05 and TA07. While the TA06 is something I don't really fancy because of its layout and impossible to do a clean electrical installation. I'm still dreaming of having a TB-04R someday and do some more improvements to the kit.

• Like 1

M-05 is good on the street. i have the Kharmaa ghia and its actually pretty fast and nimble

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I'm not a fan of the bucket/basket type of chassis which are used in the TB05 and TA07. While the TA06 is something I don't really fancy because of its layout and impossible to do a clean electrical installation. I'm still dreaming of having a TB-04R someday and do some more improvements to the kit.

I get that, the plastic chassis have all the downside of carbon with all the benefits of plastic. I'm liking the exotek conversions though and have realised they are actually pretty good value. There is a fwd conversion for the TA07 now too...

I almost bought a TB04R and had signoff, then saw the TA07 Pro was cheaper, more recent and wanted belt so thats where i ended up. Hindsight though, the TB04R would've been cheaper in the long run

• Like 1

If you are considering an M chassis, you might also take a look at the M06.

Rear wheel drive M chassis have a reputation for being hard to handle, possibly well-deserved in my opinion considering how difficult it was to tame my M04. However the M06 is a lot easier to drive, and also handles rough ground and jumps surprisingly well.

I was running mine at the last Robin Hood Raceway meet before lockdown, and it was brilliant on the buggy track, easily out-performing my mate's M-05.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

If you are considering an M chassis, you might also take a look at the M06.

Rear wheel drive M chassis have a reputation for being hard to handle, possibly well-deserved in my opinion considering how difficult it was to tame my M04. However the M06 is a lot easier to drive, and also handles rough ground and jumps surprisingly well.

I was running mine at the last Robin Hood Raceway meet before lockdown, and it was brilliant on the buggy track, easily out-performing my mate's M-05.

That’s a great shout- it would make a Mini a ‘Z’ cars Mini 💥 which I would like a lot.

The M05 is a bit cheaper though and It would give me a FWD chassis to try out.

I am thinking about buying the 2CV/NSU/MX5  kit and then selling the body set off. 

Do you know if a 911 body would fit the MO6? I really like the chassis and  engine configuration for the Karmann Ghia, Beetle and Type 2. 

M05-RA 2CV Rally and keep the body?

Of course, I can’t talk - I’ve ditched mine for a Swift!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I haven't sold my spare Super Champ yet, 

Ooofffff, I was reading this thread, got to this bit and suddenly forgot everything else I'd read.....The one that always gets away...anyway the hot water tank just died so there it goes again :huh:. One day maybe.

50 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Do you know if a 911 body would fit the MO6? I really like the chassis and  engine configuration for the Karmann Ghia, Beetle and Type 2. 

I think the 911 shell is 250/257mm to fit the TT02 which is beyond an M06's max 239mm wheelbase.

The 934 body is 230mm but I'm not sure how the width would work?

12 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I suddenly have a craving for croissants........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

The honest truth is I really don’t like 2CV’s.

Other peoples are nice, but it’s not one for me.

I get it and I love French cars, but just no 😳

But I do like Swifts 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

I suddenly have a craving for croissants........

Or eggs 💥

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Ooofffff, I was reading this thread, got to this bit and suddenly forgot everything else I'd read.....The one that always gets away...anyway the hot water tank just died so there it goes again :huh:. One day maybe.

I think the 911 shell is 250/257mm to fit the TT02 which is beyond an M06's max 239mm wheelbase.

The 934 body is 230mm but I'm not sure how the width would work?

I figured the 911 shell might be too long, just a passing thought really.

My wife has said sell the SC then I can buy something else, the SC is a great project but I’ve got the SRB thing covered and I’m hankering after a road based chassis and a new build now.

That phat Mini shell really inspired me 👍

• Like 2

Cool 😎 

I was just having a last read through last night, not sure what happened but the TC server broke or something???

Just a bit more thought to add to your decision making, have looked at the MF01X chassis?

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/chassis/mf-01x/index.htm

It can be 210, 225, or 239 wheelbase, it’s rear mount motor ( may not accommodate a Mini shell ) 4WD but you could possibly take the prop shaft out and be rear wheel drive?

The Rally Beetle uses this chassis and could be a cheaper option than a XV01?

• Like 1