Sign in to follow this  
Fabia130vRS

Toy boat upgrades?

I have found this Nikko Hydroboat Torpedo.

I feel like I could upgrade it to fit a 3s brushless system to it?

what do you guys think? Since I dont have any expirience with boats in general.

n8aZnUo.jpg
yJGLLOA.jpg

UDUVJ6y.jpg

f8ZhgtF.jpg

f8ZhgtF.jpg I1Qbqps.jpg

i can say for certain, these type of boats are generally not easy to upgrade, everything thing in, on and around are too hard of a plastic (yes it can be done and you'll just have to take many measurements of every thing you think that might fit and specified plastic epoxy where needed (CA GLUE DOES NOT GLUE WELL TO THESE TYPES OF PRODUCTS)

now how long is this boat? 

These type of boats were not meant for excessive speeds they are not forgiving like fiberglass, CF or even ABS that's just their inherent properties.

i can not stress enough how much boats take a beating more so than you can imagine.

If you are really serious about anything related about boats go to Offshore Electrics OSE, i'm really good with boats i have around 17 of the flotation devices. Over at OSE they are  Gods' it's where i learned, and one thing i learned there's more to a boat than any On Road Rc, that was my first lesson. there's a a lot of factors involved, we can get into it later if you wish.

you could put FE parts in there, but it does not mean it will perform as you may think, sometimes faster = catastrophe.

There's a whole list and everything you see screwed down and moves in that boat and perhaps even the stuffing tube gets replaced.

you'll find it gets involved, never mind the money.

This forum needs a boat thread but that's what OSE's for.

After thinking about it... I had a look at our club members Amewi Genesis, just not worth it to play around the toy boats.

aw! you are learning,

i have a couple of pool toy style boats and the Mini Rio i was able to upgrade fairly easy but it cost as much as the boat was when new.

get a nice RTR or ARTR boat, there are many kinds and sizes, very good and super fast ones and up grade from there, that's what i did at first. 

The horror stories that could be told around a camp fire.

I have an Atlantic tug boat i use for retrieval for the stranded boats a drift. 

And get a sail boat, people really do not know just how fun they really are, it's like flying a kite on the water.

i have four of em'

• Like 1

I will admit I have no experience converting or upgrading toy boats like the Nikko, but looking at the existing drive set up it doesn't look up to the demand.

Gearbox outdrive and prop shaft looks like it will wear/melt under the stress and increased RPM.

My son has a little RTR and that thing scoots along at a good pace.

12 hours ago, ACCEL said:

And get a sail boat, people really do not know just how fun they really are, it's like flying a kite on the water.

i have four of em'

Sail boats are great fun!

I have one of these, but doesn't like anything more than a gentle breeze.

Century-750-RTR-Segelschiff-26101_b_0.md

Apparently they are quite a nice little boat but the keel is too short. Upgrade to a longer keel and they are quite capable, handle a lot better without laying over.

I was a member of an RC sail boat club a while back. Great club, friendly and welcoming. They sailed hand built custom designed boats in a control class.

Their build night was once a fortnight on the same night my wife worked, and was difficult to make it as I looked after the kids.

Didn't get far through my build before I moved interstate.

I'd love to finish it, I had made a little bit of progress since these photos were taken.

IMG_20140410_174846_966.md.jpg

IMG_20140410_174824_026.md.jpg

IMG_20140410_174738_272.md.jpg

This is what they look like on the water.

0358.jpg

• Like 1

i first purchased the VELA ONE METER (found it it's too long for the sanctioned regatta's, it's actually slightly longer.), then wanted a kit and did the Kyosho SeaWind, then a few years later came across the CF Graupner Micro Magic and last year for the pool the lil' ZT Model Voyager, sailboats are just tranquil to me, they're magic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Falcon#5 said:

I will admit I have no experience converting or upgrading toy boats like the Nikko, but looking at the existing drive set up it doesn't look up to the demand.

Gearbox outdrive and prop shaft looks like it will wear/melt under the stress and increased RPM.

My son has a little RTR and that thing scoots along at a good pace.

Sail boats are great fun!

I have one of these, but doesn't like anything more than a gentle breeze.

Century-750-RTR-Segelschiff-26101_b_0.md

Apparently they are quite a nice little boat but the keel is too short. Upgrade to a longer keel and they are quite capable, handle a lot better without laying over.

I was a member of an RC sail boat club a while back. Great club, friendly and welcoming. They sailed hand built custom designed boats in a control class.

Their build night was once a fortnight on the same night my wife worked, and was difficult to make it as I looked after the kids.

Didn't get far through my build before I moved interstate.

I'd love to finish it, I had made a little bit of progress since these photos were taken.

IMG_20140410_174846_966.md.jpg

IMG_20140410_174824_026.md.jpg

IMG_20140410_174738_272.md.jpg

This is what they look like on the water.

0358.jpg

Dirt bikes and Drums I LOVE YOU!:wub:..........................😎

• Haha 1