Sign in to follow this  
67CamaroSS

Thorp Clod Diffs

Has anyone ever used a set of Thorp Clod diffs? I just came up on two unused sets. According to the directions, they are a direct replacement for stock.

I just want to see if anyone has experience with them. I’ll post pics in a bit.

• Like 1

I have only vague recollections of them. They weren't out as long as a lot of Thorp's other diffs. IIRC, you adjusted them by turning the large knurled section on the end of them (6001 in the pic, I think). This made them hard to adjust as you had to tear the whole gearbox down to get at them to adjust them. I *think* I recall some folks complaining that they would come loose, but then again a lot of Thorp diffs would come loose. It got bad enough that Thorp bent the adjusting screw on their conventional diffs (not like the Clod diffs you have) to try to get them to stop backing out. On one occasion I remember them telling a customer to intentionally "gack" the threads on the screw with pliers to keep it in place. At any rate, Clod diffs didn't self-destruct like ORV diffs so I imagine that plus the difficulty with adjustment made them shorter lived. You could try searching other monster truck specific forums for possibly more in-depth answers. Hope this helps.

• Like 1