kneesliding

RC Controller for 2 or 3 Cars??

Hi,

silly question, do I need a  2.4ghz controller for each car, or can one control all?

With each having its own Receiver.

Thanks

You can buy extra receivers and just bind them. I use a transmitter with multi vehicles so I can set each one up separately, I'm pretty sure that they can all do the same.

I have an Ansmann W5 transmitter that I use with about 8 cars.

Ive just bought a flysky transmitter as it's  compatible with my receivers but has a 10 model memory.

The receivers are only about £6 each.

Flysky FS-GT5 or Turnigy GT5 are good budget handsets that have a 20 model memory.  They work with the GT5 receivers or the older iA6 receivers, which are slightly cheaper and a bit easier to find in the current climate, but lack the built-in gyro of the GT5.  Flysky and Turnigy are different brands for the same product, they are interchangeable.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, kneesliding said:

so you just bind each time you decide which car?

For the Carson, yes.  I'm pretty sure the Carson handset you've linked to doesn't support multiple models, but you can bind to a new receiver every time you drive a different car.  Unless you'd find it easier to fit your receiver with velcro and swap it over every time you drive a different car - that's what we used to do back when 2.4GHz receivers were £50 a pop.

With the GT5 or any other handset with multi-model memory, you can select which model you want to drive from the screen.  The model memory will also store your endpoints, trim, expo, servo reverse setting and a selection of other settings for each model, so you don't have to re-trim them each time you play.  Just select the model from the on-screen list and go drive.

• Thanks 1

flysky/turnigy stuff will also bind to some other brands - I have an absima receiver that I can bind to my flysky transmitters.

Avoid the Flysky FS-GT3B, it takes 8 AA cells, the new C model has a recharageable battery, which is a far better idea. People have fitted lipos to the B model but by the time you've done that its no cheaper and you may as well just get the C.

Most 2.4g transmitters can be used for several kits. My Sanwa MT-44 have 20 memory (250 with SD card) and Radiolink 4RCGS have 10.

@kneesliding I have a Carson Reflex Pro Stick 3.0 and I use it no problem with 3 different cars, two receivers being from a 3.1 version. No problems with the binding but no screens of course, so you have to memorize your trimmings and reset them every time.

Thing is, as far as I know Carson doesn't just sell the receivers (I'd be happy to be corrected on this one, let me know if they do). In my case, I ended up driving three receivers with one transmitter because the 3.1 versions are so flimsy, with such ridiculously cheap plastics that it was ruining the driving experience, so I ditched those transmitter for the earlier, much better 3.0 version. In my experience their electronics work just fine, the tiny receivers even look great but Carson should cheap out a little less on their materials.

I use absima transmitters - then you can use the flysky receivers and they are £5 each from AliExpress 

Model memory helps (you can remember the steering trim etc)

but you don’t need one as it literally takes a few seconds each time 

JJ

I've got 24 cars on my Futaba 4PX. It's really convenient not having a million transmitters around, and even Futaba receivers are cheaper than a cheap TX/RX for each. Having a reliable, comfortable, flexible, and high performance radio makes even the most basic cars more enjoyable.

• Like 3

Am I right in thinking that to bind a RX to a TX each time, with the 2.4 stuff you need to plug in a little binding cable to the RX? 

So on a fully enclosed car like the fox, binding manually each time could be a bit of a problem, unless I cut a hole in the chassis that allows easy access to connect the binding cable?

40 minutes ago, foz75 said:

Am I right in thinking that to bind a RX to a TX each time, with the 2.4 stuff you need to plug in a little binding cable to the RX? 

So on a fully enclosed car like the fox, binding manually each time could be a bit of a problem, unless I cut a hole in the chassis that allows easy access to connect the binding cable?

Correct, hence we suggest getting a controller with multiple model settings, once bound all you need do is select the correct car on the transmitter and off you go.

You don’t have to bind each each time - once it’s bound it’s bound

the model memory mainly retains trim set up for each model 

it’s obviously does a bit more (I.e. you can switch on 10 cars and only control 1 at a time)

but you don’t have to bind each time you use a car 

JJ

• Like 1

I was thinking more on a basic controller that doesn't have model memory, which I think can be used with more than one car, but needs binding and trimming each time you change cars

29 minutes ago, foz75 said:

I was thinking more on a basic controller that doesn't have model memory, which I think can be used with more than one car, but needs binding and trimming each time you change cars

I use a FlySky GT2b, which has no memory, for two cars. I bought a second Rx on eBay and once I had both “binded”, I was able to use the same Tx for either car. I don’t have to re-bind the Rx every time, but I do have to adjust the steering every time I switch. It’s not a big deal since both cars are nearly identical (both are Blackfoot) and the trim is just a simple turn-knob on the control panel. Probably not best practice, but it works for me...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, foz75 said:

They don’t need rebinding just retrimming

This is the one I have (comes with 2 receivers already)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=434775&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JTF966p6gIVCLrtCh044g1VEAQYBSABEgL67vD_BwE

i have it bound to about 10 cars and the receivers are available for under £4 each and I buy 5 at a time.

£3.76 | High quality flysky FS-GR3E 2.4G 3CH Receiver w/ Failsafe FS GT3C GT3B GT2 RC Car Boat NEW
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d6aYHQe

Good luck 

JJ

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Problemchild said:

That seems perfect for my future needs, thanks for the link.

Only thing, I always go for stick radios as I like that feeling better than the wheel ones. Do you know if this system (with multiple receivers) is available in stick version too? 

Thank you!

You can get stick ones but they are not as common 

but you can get - just make sure the receiver for it is readily available 

flysky and absima will do stick ones and you can still use the receivers I linked above 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-sr2s-2-channel-2-4ghz-radio-control-system-stick-radio/rc-car-products/407387

JJ

• Thanks 1