Mad Ax

SCX10 G6 - Jeep Cherokee Rebody

Really nice installation! I've been considering Rock Lights... Particularly on my Wraith. Being nutty like I am - my debate has been WHAT Color Lights!!! 😜

Like Rock Lights on real Rigs, it does make a difference at night.

Of course, every good trail rig needs actual lights also.  Rock lights along are simply not good enough.

I figured a flat-sided body like the Cherokee would be easy to make some light buckets for, but I quick search on thingiverse found me this thing:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3614699

Loads of detailed scale bits for the 'rokee, including various designs of light bucket!  This is the kind of thing that my resin printer is quite good at.

Printed in black standard resin and sprayed with chrome paint from the local auto store:

P8230177.jpg

Glued in place with hot glue and wired in with the roof light

P8230181.jpg

2pin plug for connecting to the chassis

P8230182.jpg

nuff glue

P8230183.jpg

• Like 2

View from outside (including my rubbish masking)

P8230185.jpg

P8230186.jpg

P8230187.jpg

P8230188.jpg

• Like 2

For now I have only added head and tail lights, connected to the switch on the chassis.  I have the option of adding turn signals, sidelights and foglights later, but I would either have to waterproof an Arduino board or buy a waterproof lighting system to make use of them.  For now the ports are taped over so they don't get water in them.

I also haven't added the decals yet.  Coming soon...

P8230189.jpg

P8230190.jpg

P8230191.jpg

P8230192.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The curious among you will have noticed that the Thing posted above also contains some arch extensions.  I have had the first set printed by a friend in PETG - rears fit well but fronts need extending.  Photos to follow when I get around to finishing the job :)

• Like 1

OK, here's the 7 photos that I managed to take in the hole of Sunday.  I literally spent the entire day in the workshop and achieved only this.  Some days are just slow days, I guess.

Arch extensions printed in PETG by a friend:

P9093221.jpg

Drilled out and fitted with impact adhesive and stainless screws

P9093223.jpg

Fitting was close as I'd already done a lot of cutting - just need to tidy this up:

P9093224.jpg

fin.

P9093225.jpg

• Like 2

As you can (sort of) see in my (badly-lit) photo, the front arch is too short.  There was a downy bit that I hacksawed off.

P9093226.jpg

Problem - I had foolishly sanded a recess into the back of the arch to better fit the shape of the body, but the result is a badly warped body.  I will be having new front arches printed and will not make that mistake again.

P9093227.jpg

• Like 2

Made this during a long meeting yesterday.  Updated front arch extension, longer and without the downward curve.

Modifying an existing STL file in Fusion 360 is not always an enjoyable process but it's piqued my interest for designing in 3D again.  I've got so much 3D stuff to do it's about time I got on and did some of it.

arch-design.png

• Like 3

Got a bit more done on the G6 Cherokee this weekend.  My friend brought over my new front arches, nicely made in PETG.  PETG isn't the most attractive material, but it's very tough, perfect for something that's supposed to protect the body as it's gouging through rocks.

Here's where we started: the small front arch partly-fitted up front and the rear arch already in position.

DSCF1197.jpg

Here's the new arch resting on the front:

DSCF1198.jpg

DSCF1199.jpg

I used a sanding drum on a dremel to take a bit of meat out of the back of the arch, to help it lie a bit better over the side mouldings

DSCF1200.jpg

• Like 2

After re-fitting, I used some black silicon sealant to try to hide the gap.  This was a complete pain in the backside and I wished I hadn't bothered.  First it took me ages to clear the blocked nozzle on my silicon tube, then the stuff just went everywhere and made an horrific mess.

DSCF1201.jpg

DSCF1202.jpg

DSCF1203.jpg

DSCF1204.jpg

• Like 2

I decided not to bother with the silicon for the other side, instead I opted to build up the gap with hot glue and worry about how it looked later.  Well, that turned out not to be the best idea either.

In the end, my solution was to fit the arches with the gap in place, then heat up the lower part of the arch with a small gas torch, and bend the arch into place.

I wish I'd done this right at the start - PETG actually heats and bends very well, doesn't bubble too much and doesn't transmit heat back into my fingertips when I'm bending it into place.

I used a lot of hot glue under the arches to keep everything in place and to lock up the nuts, which I couldn't do up fully tight without distorting the body.

DSCF1207.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg

DSCF1210.jpg

DSCF1211.jpg

• Like 3

Final truck - I think it might be ready to hit the trails..?

DSCF1212.jpg

DSCF1213.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Final truck - I think it might be ready to hit the trails..?

DSCF1212.jpg

DSCF1213.jpg

It certainly LOOKS the part!!- 👍👍

• Like 1

While I was busy tending to my wife's various orders, some impressive things were going on!  

That is one handsome Jeep! 

• Haha 1

Today I logged on to 25 notifications and thought something had seriously gone wrong with Tamiyaclub :o 

Thanks for the support - I haven't really been pleased with the look of this rig since the I painted the body, it's good to know some others like it :) 

I was hoping to take it out on the trails tonight with a mate, but my wife is currently bedbound with a bad cough and apparently there is some virus doing the rounds, so we're going to stay home for a couple of weeks :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here on the other side of the pond, my friend's husband got flu-like symptoms just the other day.  He did the test and it was negative on the corona, just garden variety flu. I'd say, you can never be too sure what you have these days.  I hope she feels better soon.  

P.S. I like orange color to start with. And you took it to whole another level with that black and orange color scheme!  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Juggular said:

Here on the other side of the pond, my friend's husband got flu-like symptoms just the other day.  He did the test and it was negative on the corona, just garden variety flu. I'd say, you can never be too sure what you have these days.

Going slightly OT, the test results came in yesterday afternoon and it's not the 'rona - just a regular bad cold (she says flu, but she was walking around and using her iPad; if my one and only brush with flu is anything to go by, it wasn't flu).  She seems to be on the mend, just in time for me to start feeling rough ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went to Target store to get some ball point pens, and they had a pharmacy inside.  When I was milling around looking for potassium, the pharmacist asked if I wanted a flu shot.  I said yes unusually fast. (I am one of those annoyingly slow people who takes a second to answer anything)  Coming back to TC today, I think Mad Ax's story was the controlling factor (subconsciously).  I do my best to avoid both, but at least flu would be less of a worry.  So thanks for subconsciously weighing on the matter.  

When I started to sniffle last month, my wife got me a glass of vitamin C powder dissolved in a glass of water, and a little scoop of manuka honey.  Vitamin C is already in the B-complex I take. Extra won't do much in my case.  She had told me that manuka is expensive, especially something with high number (apparently they have some kind of a rating system).  I said, "why should it be expensive? it's just honey." (I said it in a tone that was like: "haha, you got fooled!")  But the sniffle was gone almost immediately. (I got humbled and rightly so)  

I hope you feel better soon. 

Remaining off-topic, here in England the government are really hammering to us that we should get flu jabs if we're old or young, and have said they're extending the free flu jab to a wider range of people.  My local surgery wrote to us a couple of months ago to say our 3 year old could have the flu vaccine for free.  So we've been calling weekly since then, and so far haven't got any lower than 30th in the queue.  Gah...

Anyhoo, I'm feeling much better (a few good walks in the fresh air and some vit C dissolved in water every morning has helped).

In other news, I took the truck out for a spin on Sunday morning.  The weather was dry and a little chilly and I'd been stuck at home all week so I decided to venture out to the countryside.  45 minutes away is a place called Draycott Sleights.  It's on the same plateau that forms Cheddar Gorge, which is basically like our 1:100 scale version of the Grand Canyon, but it's in England, so it's made from carboniferous limestone and it's got grass growing in it because it rains so often.

Anyway, this is what I found once I'd parked up and gone through the entrance gate.  It really is every bit as steep as it looks (I climbed it in full winter motorcycle clothing and had to strip down to my T-shirt at the top).

PA180076.jpg

This is the perfect sort of rock for some challenging driving.

PA180077.jpg

PA180078.jpg

PA180081.jpg

PA180082.jpg

This is the view from the top.  In the Westcountry we have a saying: if you can see that hill, it's going to rain.  If you can't see it, it's already raining.

Those distant rocky bits were the far side of a little chasm, to get there I'd have to descend and climb the other side.  I figured I wasn't really dressed for it so I packed up and went home.

PA180100.jpg

• Like 4

..... They're doing the same thing to us here in the Colonies!!! 😖  I've never had a Flu Shot - and I've NEVER had the Flu!  Get Strep Throat too often though. 😷😂 

What a great place to let her run!!! Beautiful. 👌👍👍  I need to get my Crawlers out soon. Don't have any spots that nice though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carmine A said:

..... They're doing the same thing to us here in the Colonies!!! 😖  I've never had a Flu Shot - and I've NEVER had the Flu!  Get Strep Throat too often though. 😷😂 

What a great place to let her run!!! Beautiful. 👌👍👍  I need to get my Crawlers out soon. Don't have any spots that nice though.

I had flu once, when I was 28 years old and lived alone.  7 days I can barely remember, besides being so hot I thought I was melting and so cold I couldn't stop shivering, and the feeling that my eyes were going to come out of their sockets.

The best thing about having flu is the day you wake up and realise you don't have flu any more.  It's like being reborn.  Honestly, I have it down as one of the best days of my life.

If Covid is worse, then seriously, I don't want it.  All the deniers who say "it's just flu!" have clearly never had flu :o 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I had flu once, when I was 28 years old and lived alone.  7 days I can barely remember, besides being so hot I thought I was melting and so cold I couldn't stop shivering, and the feeling that my eyes were going to come out of their sockets.

The best thing about having flu is the day you wake up and realise you don't have flu any more.  It's like being reborn.  Honestly, I have it down as one of the best days of my life.

If Covid is worse, then seriously, I don't want it.  All the deniers who say "it's just flu!" have clearly never had flu :o 

I've so far had three Friends who got COVID. One didn't make it. 💔💔 One I kept in Video contact with. She looked AND sounded like BADWORD on a Stick! 😭  She's going to make it, but there were moments.... 

I still only get really sick once every 2-3 years. But it's VERY sick!!!😷  104-106 temperatures, and I was reduced to a BLOB. Then it passes, and it's like nothing ever happened!