hedge

TT-01 front suspension upgrades / mods

So I realised today that my TT-01 is not seeing the full suspension travel, the shocks bottom out before the bumper/chassis hits the ground - about 10mm before! I have raised the ride height so its not a stock issue, but I am sure I am not the only one to do this? Has anyone added shock extensions to the stock shock mounts or are there after market options available.  Photos would be great, I have tried searching but nothing is showing up.

I think shocks should bottom out before the chassis hits the floor.

If you went over a big bump, launched it and the chassis could hit the floor on landing it'd cause it or a gearbox casing to crack.

If the shocks take the hit it will do less damage, if any given the shock towers should be strong enough to cope with a bit of abuse.

Ideally the shocks/springs are stiff enough that the car through its own weight can't actually bottom out anyway, thus the vehicle is always suspended.

In an ideal situation you want the chassis to bottom-out first, this will reduce the likelihood of damaging the dampers or the parts they're mounted to. The TT01 has quite brittle suspension towers front and rear, rectified by the TT01-E version. 

By raising the ride height you're running out of damper travel before this happens. Unfortunately there's not a great deal you can do, as fitting longer dampers just means you'll need to fashion a new damper tower to accommodate them. If you switch to the Type E plastics this could be made easier however.

Of course the answer is always to buy another car :lol: I ran into the same problem myself and I'm now seeking an XV-01

2 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

In an ideal situation you want the chassis to bottom-out first, this will reduce the likelihood of damaging the dampers or the parts they're mounted to. The TT01 has quite brittle suspension towers front and rear, rectified by the TT01-E version. 

By raising the ride height you're running out of damper travel before this happens. Unfortunately there's not a great deal you can do, as fitting longer dampers just means you'll need to fashion a new damper tower to accommodate them. If you switch to the Type E plastics this could be made easier however.

Of course the answer is always to buy another car :lol: I ran into the same problem myself and I'm now seeking an XV-01

I’ll go check out the TT-01e stuff. Thanks