Mad Ax

6x6 Grand Hauler Tipper Truck

That's coming along really well, I'm constantly impressed by how well you fabricate stuff without the aid of a mill or lathe. I'm somewhat jealous that you have an aluminium smelter in your garage, I could do with one of those to turn all my swarf back into usable material. I tried putting a tin can rammed full of aluminium in a garden incinerator, but it just doesn't get hot enough. .

Lol, the smelter is a huge and cheap log burner that eats through wood like it's going out of fashion.  I usually burn scraps but I've run out this year, so we ordered some heat logs and night bricks, on the hope they would last longer.  In two days we got through an entire 20Kg pack of night bricks and 10Kg of heat logs, as well as some kindling and offcuts of fence post that I used to get it started.  I also think it's woefully inefficient - every time I opened the door to add more fuel, I would practically be melted by the heat coming out - but close the door again and it's just balmy.  It seems like most of the heat is being trapped behind the glass and lost up the chimney.

If it's cold next week I'll experiment with running it with the door open once there's sufficient heat in the flue to draw the smoke up.

It was hot enough to melt a scrap of ally when I pushed it into a cherry-red log, but it wouldn't melt when resting on top.  I think if I put the ally in a tin, it might not quite get hot enough.  I did try putting some really small shavings on the top plate - they went soft but didn't melt.

Years ago I found a burnt-out Fiesta XR2i in the lanes near Cheddar, and I collected some lovely bubbleform ally that had once been the front wheels :lol:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Lol, the smelter is a huge and cheap log burner that eats through wood like it's going out of fashion.  I usually burn scraps but I've run out this year, so we ordered some heat logs and night bricks, on the hope they would last longer.  In two days we got through an entire 20Kg pack of night bricks and 10Kg of heat logs, as well as some kindling and offcuts of fence post that I used to get it started.  I also think it's woefully inefficient - every time I opened the door to add more fuel, I would practically be melted by the heat coming out - but close the door again and it's just balmy.  It seems like most of the heat is being trapped behind the glass and lost up the chimney.

If it's cold next week I'll experiment with running it with the door open once there's sufficient heat in the flue to draw the smoke up.

It was hot enough to melt a scrap of ally when I pushed it into a cherry-red log, but it wouldn't melt when resting on top.  I think if I put the ally in a tin, it might not quite get hot enough.  I did try putting some really small shavings on the top plate - they went soft but didn't melt.

Years ago I found a burnt-out Fiesta XR2i in the lanes near Cheddar, and I collected some lovely bubbleform ally that had once been the front wheels :lol:

Melted pepperpots :lol:

@Mad Ax Spurred on by your projects in limbo confession posted elsewhere, I had a good read through this tonight, even if the @MadInventor input made me a little subdued. Great looking truck and the tipper mechanism looks pretty good to me 👍

So going for the Jugular, has the tipper been off the shelf recently? I’m currently acquiring parts myself for an 8x4 plant transporter so when I get my own backside in gear Its all ready to plough on with, so I’m on board with your “acquire the parts first” philosophy. I even bought “it” its own folding 4x2 table/workbench from Costco specially today 😁

• Like 1

This truck hasn't been down off the shelf since the last time I updated this thread - in fact I think I've only been to 2 truck meets since then, and 1 of them was just as a visitor.  The local trucking scene is getting strong again after a significate pandemic layoff, but I haven't got back into the routine of going trucking.  It's something I'll dig out and do once I've cleared some of my other projects.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, Randylandy666 said:

Tipper is looking good!
Do you know which model the body came off?

P.S. if you need a finishing panel for the back for the day cab I make them: https://stegs4x4.co.uk/product/kh-day-cab/ hope this helps!

Do you ship to the Colonies (USA)?

Here's another project I need to get back into!  There's talk of a few of us visiting a local truck meet in January, I'm not 100% sure I've got the tipper mechanism installed correctly so I'll bring the whole thing along and see if someone there can check it over for me.

• Like 1

I would love to go....

But don't have the $2400 for British Airways to fly from Phoenix, AZ to London... 😫😫

• Like 1
  • Haha 1