Hi all,

New member here, first post so go easy on me.

I very recently took delivery of my brand new Tamiya CC-01 Land Rover Defender 90.  This is my very first ever crawler (all my previous R/C experience has come in the form of 1/10 Tamiya buggies and on-road 4WD cars) and I'm really excited to get stuck in.

I've done a fair bit of reading and watching YouTube videos on the CC-01, so I'm aware of it's short comes and things to upgrade soon after assembly.  I'm waiting on a ball-bearing set to arrive any day now, and I'll be ordering the Yeah Racing steering upgrade set very soon.  I'm also looking at a 4-link rear upgrade at some point down the line too.

However the reason I'm posting is to ask for suggestions with respect to a steering servo.  I'm not using this vehicle in competition, but I would like a servo that will hold up to general crawling/low-speed dirt trail use.  I've been looking at getting a Savox SW-0231MG waterproof high torque standard metal gear digital servo.  I've never had a Savox servo before, but even though this is a low cost offering I know they generally make very good products.  I also like that Savox servos are serviceable/rebuildable, which should in theory extend it's useful lifespan.  This servo sells for about $39 dollars on Amazon right now, but I was curious if anyone here thought there might be a better option to use in a CC-01 for the money... or if there might be something significantly better for a tiny bit more money?  Just looking to maximize what I get for the dollars spent.

Thanks very much in advance.  Cheers!

I almost exclusively use the Alturn AAS-750MG hi torque servo in my scale rigs.  Well priced, metal gears and I haven't broken one in many years of crawling with heavier and hardier cars than CC01s.

UK stock has been low recently, but sure about the rest of the world.

Others have had good results with cheap servos from Amazon, including 20Kg / 25Kg / 30Kg servos for under $30.  I have a pair of 25Kg servos on my Clod but haven't really run it hard enough to test them yet.

That servo will serve you fine on a CC01; the weakness is in the steering setup and not a great deal of torque can be put through the standard parts - as you rightly point out, an aftermarket steering set is essential. Couple this with a hi-torque servo saver (not a rigid, un-sprung arm, which will damage the servo if you have a failure) and you'll have a great setup (as great as the CC01 can be, anyway!)

I'm a bit of a CC01 addict and currently have 4 of them :blink: