Seanster43

TRF201 Motor/Esc Recommendations

Had a search and couldn't find much info, so seeing who has what experience with different set ups etc.  I have a Hobbywing 1060 and GT Tuned motor just now in the TB-01 and it does the job nicely. However with the TRF201 being lighter just wondering if I should go brushless or use a different motor and just use the same ESC.

Cheers, Sean

• Like 2

Are you racing, in which case you need to meet class rules, or just want it set up for fun?

If not racing I would go for a 10.5t sensored brushless setup.  Ideally a programmable ESC, something like the SkyRC TS120 would be great, but there are a lot around that are similar.  The TS120 is US68 delivered from RCMart, I've got a few of them and they work well. 120a, rated down to 4.5T on 2S, can handle 3S as well.  You can dial in turbo and boost for more speed if you like, but a properly geared 10.5T should be plenty fast enough.

As for a motor, I like the Surpass Rocket as a good bang for buck option.  They can keep up with the best from other manufacturers but are quite a bit cheaper.  I have the V4S, but the V3 is even cheaper and if you aren't racing it won't matter.  But any motor will be fine, even an older one like a Speed Passion or Trackstar will be fast enoguh.

Or you could get a cheaper Trackstar combo, they do the 80a Turbo ESC and 10.5T motor for about USD80.

Whichever ESC you go for, get the program card too.  And run lipo.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Seanster43 said:

Had a search and couldn't find much info, so seeing who has what experience with different set ups etc.  I have a Hobbywing 1060 and GT Tuned motor just now in the TB-01 and it does the job nicely. However with the TRF201 being lighter just wondering if I should go brushless or use a different motor and just use the same ESC.

Cheers, Sean

If you use the 201 body then you need to be a little careful because there is very little vertical space where the speedo sits. So something low profile...

I'm using the cheapy Absima thrust brushless / unsensored combo in mine with 2s lipo. It's plenty fast. Gets hot. Would probably be wild with 3s. Would not fit under the 201 shell, fits fine under the zahhak shell. 

• Like 2

If there isnt much space then the Trackstar combo is out as you'll need the fan with a 10.5T motor. The SkyRC TS120 should be ok without a fan though as there is a lot of headroom, until you add a lot of timing.

If you drop to a 13.5T motor then you could use a stockspec ESC which are really small, like the Hobbywing XR10 Spec oe Muchmore Euro v2. They don't have turbo and boost but are small

• Like 1

Good to hear both responses as i thought there wouldn't be a lot of room. Sky rc have some good combo deals too. Plenty options I guess just a bit more homework to do then will see what I can get ordered as needing some paint for another project. Will size it with the 1060 just now and if that fits then it gives me an idea for dimensions etc. Cheers for the info guys. Roll on pay day😂

Sean

14 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

If there isnt much space then the Trackstar combo is out as you'll need the fan with a 10.5T motor. The SkyRC TS120 should be ok without a fan though as there is a lot of headroom, until you add a lot of timing.

If you drop to a 13.5T motor then you could use a stockspec ESC which are really small, like the Hobbywing XR10 Spec oe Muchmore Euro v2. They don't have turbo and boost but are small

Does the boost/turbo work like in the real world or does it just give a bit oomph from take off or certain throttle points?   

40 minutes ago, Seanster43 said:

Does the boost/turbo work like in the real world or does it just give a bit oomph from take off or certain throttle points?   

You can adjust it to give a mild boost through to a massive amount. Have you read about timing in brushless motors? Turbo and boost are dynamic timing from the ESC, rather than just the fixed timing on the endbell. Its like having 3 stages of timing so you can set the endbell timing for low rpm, then add in boost at higher rpm, effectively increasing the timing, and then turbo for top end (i might have those around the wrong way). NiMH won't provide the power, you need a decent lipo to get the full benefit of it.

• Like 1

I understand the basics I guess after coming back to the hobby after so long that a lot has changed, it gives me more to read up on though which I have plenty of time to do so. Still need to take the lipo plunge as well so been reading up on that as well. Its good having alot of options makes the hobby more interesting.

• Like 1