Manix92

DN-01 diff screw nut plastic replacement

I'm after replacing the plastic diff screw nut on the Zahhak with a steel or aluminium one

Question is does just about any diff screw nut fit?

The TRF-201 number for the parts(s) is 19804409 and is not the easiest item to get hold of.

But would just about any Tamiya nut for diff joints fit??

For instance there seem to be loads of Tamiya 51341 for the TRF-416 about

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-51341-TRF416-Differential-Screw-Nut-TRF416WE-TRF416X-NIP/382003398211?epid=682832152&hash=item58f12d4643:g:uaEAAOSwXYtYyVVT

would the nut from this fit or is there something even cheaper I could get?

I believe the associated b4 will fit, im pretty sure i used one for my dn01 but it has been a few  years ago

• Like 1

Yeah that plastic diff screw is an odd one. That said, it didn't let me down, but now I've swapped out the entire gearbox with its 201 counterpart with the slipper and metal outdrives. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I believe the associated b4 will fit, im pretty sure i used one for my dn01 but it has been a few  years ago

OK I think I found it, is this the one you mean?

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/24592/

Looks like natural nylon with a steel nutsert so it's going to be better if it fits.

3 hours ago, Howards said:

Yeah that plastic diff screw is an odd one. That said, it didn't let me down, but now I've swapped out the entire gearbox with its 201 counterpart with the slipper and metal outdrives. 

Have no idea why they used plastic. Stripped the first one in the kit with force of the spring. The second one in the kit I have been making sure I push a screwdriver against it when I screw the bolt in.

I suspect its a sacrificial part designed to prevent things like the diff screw snapping (Egress I'm looking at you) or the plates getting warped or damaged by over-torquing. 

1 hour ago, Manix92 said:

OK I think I found it, is this the one you mean?

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/24592/

Looks like natural nylon with a steel nutsert so it's going to be better if it fits.

I didnt buy a complete kit, i had just an aluminum nut to fit the diff

4 hours ago, Mozzie said:

@Manix92 did you find a nut to fit by any chance?

No sorry :(

My second one is holding up still. I am considering getting some done on shapeways from aluminium or stainless steel/bronze or even the pure stainless mix, they would need to be tapped post production - I think it's M2.5.

Then because they charge per part I was thinking maybe getting several joined together that need to cut/separated into the individual parts if that makes sense.

I have been busy the last few weeks hence not being on here much. It shouldn't take long though to model in Solidworks when I get a chance.

Hi @Manix92 been doing a bit more research.  The thrust bearing washers on the DN01 are identical to the TRF417

This means the shaft should be the right thickness

Given that the dog bones and UJs seem to be pretty standard across the Tamiya range I assume the nut lugs that fit into the out drives should be fine too.  The lugs do look a little thicker on the picture but pretty confident they could be filled down a bit if that's the case.

I can't find the length but from the pictures they look broadly the same.

They seem to be in plentiful supply and I've just picked one up from Tony's Tamiya parts link below.  I'll let you know if it works!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383481749905

@Mozzie I dont think that will work. the wings look way to thick

part N19 on the tree. i just put an aluminum one in but actually have no idea where i got it

11 hours ago, Howards said:

The TRF201 equivalent part is metal - get that. 

part number is 19804409

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Kugeldiff-Schraube-Mutter-26x22mm-19804409

failing that the Durga uses a plastic part with a metal nut inside, could try that.

The TRF201 part is unobtainium last time I tried to buy one.

Durga could be a option but then again how easy is that to find and is it M2.5 which I believe the DN01 is.

4 hours ago, Manix92 said:

Durga could be a option but then again how easy is that to find and is it M2.5 which I believe the DN01 is.

It uses a 2mm x 25mm hex screw. 

with a suitably sized washer the 2mm screw could work as a replacement for the 2.5mm then you can use DB01 k parts for the plastic part and a 2mm locknut. 

but yeah what a pain. 

1 minute ago, Mozzie said:

Legend, I've been traveling the web trying find one hadn't come across this site!  Thanks mate

Yer welcome.

On 9/6/2020 at 8:46 AM, Jontea said:

Good find but at £27 (seems the correct exchange rate) for a small aluminium nut I'm out.

I will have a browse later see if they have anything else I need and maybe I can justify it then.

25 minutes ago, Manix92 said:

Good find but at £27 (seems the correct exchange rate) for a small aluminium nut I'm out.

I will have a browse later see if they have anything else I need and maybe I can justify it then.

Wow! Postage is insane, find someone on here in Sweden, get them to send it to you in a jiffy bag?

On 7/1/2020 at 3:54 PM, Manix92 said:

I'm after replacing the plastic diff screw nut on the Zahhak with a steel or aluminium one

Question is does just about any diff screw nut fit?

The TRF-201 number for the parts(s) is 19804409 and is not the easiest item to get hold of.

But would just about any Tamiya nut for diff joints fit??

For instance there seem to be loads of Tamiya 51341 for the TRF-416 about

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-51341-TRF416-Differential-Screw-Nut-TRF416WE-TRF416X-NIP/382003398211?epid=682832152&hash=item58f12d4643:g:uaEAAOSwXYtYyVVT

would the nut from this fit or is there something even cheaper I could get?

I have just found a 201 blue diff screw in my spares box and i don't need it. I am uk based. Make me an offer. 

On 9/5/2020 at 2:59 PM, Finnsllc said:

@Mozzie I dont think that will work. the wings look way to thick

part N19 on the tree. i just put an aluminum one in but actually have no idea where i got it

The Egress one fits the thread and  just requires some slight filing on the wings and it's done up nice and tight now with no slipping. Not ideal but I've got the other ordered from Sweden so this will do in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just used the stock screw, put a washer in there, and a nylock nut, stuck a screwdriver down the side to stop it turning while i tightend it. 

been working perfectly for a few years now. 

Agreed, the stock plastic bit is a bit pointless. A proper alloy one would be Ideal though.