Bennett Ironman

Wanna build this beast

Guys currently hooked on this build ....but cannot find the grey style mesh decals to run on the sides of the body shell ??

Found this build on You Tube thinks it's superb the paint is PS 7 I believe the wheels are Carson ....tried e mailing the owner but he's German 😬

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like carbon fibre vinyl, plenty of it on ebay

58 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Looks like carbon fibre vinyl, plenty of it on ebay

Thanks mate also was looking for the grey mesh that's actually on the chassis itself 👍 

It's possible to airbrush it too.

From memory, use something with a mesh pattern like a pit mat or tool box liner as a 'mask'.

Lay black, remove the mask, then lay gunmetal and silver?

There is a technique to it, but I'm sure a Google search will yield some answers.

It looks like chicken wire of some sort???  I think a trip to the hardware store might be in order???

Terry

57 minutes ago, Bennett Ironman said:

Thanks mate also was looking for the grey mesh that's actually on the chassis itself 👍 

Are you after actual mesh, or decals?

• Thanks 1

That mesh material is called "expanded aluminum" or "expanded steel".

It can be found in security screen doors, Bondo automotive patch kits (with adhesive backing), some hobby/craft stores, hardware stores, and metal/piping supply shops.

• Thanks 1

I have seen other photos of the model in question - it appears that the chassis is decorated with a decal that accurately recreates the look of expanded aluminium/stainless steel mesh, rather than the mesh itself. I may be wrong, but I think it may be this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carisma-Stainless-Steel-Decal-Sheets-Wire-Mesh-A5-Cooler-etc-SCA-1E-CARI15993/292946245809

The wheels and tyres are indeed Carson products. Specifically, these ones here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carson-All-Terrain-BLACK-wheels-tyres-2WD-for-Tamiya-DT02-DT03-Frog-Madcap/254639930397

• Thanks 1

As i'm from germany I can give you first hand details :D

In the video he said, the carbon fiber is a normal carbon decal cutted out from a big roll.

The mesh is the same as used on car parts for optical tuning. Mostly out of Aluminium.

And she 'Runs' 😁😁 first well ok second ever Tamiya kit build ....first was back in 1984 when my dad bought me a Grasshopper (more on that later) 🙈 anyway so my lockdown DT03 build under the watchful eye of my wife 😟 ...I planned to really take my time with this build and not rush...I work on Aircraft Jet Engines for my job so thought I would give this build the same attention 🥰...whilst waiting for my kit I scoured the forum and it cost me £££ 😁😁 ordered a decent amount of 'hop ups' just enough to keep me smiling and not get too much grief 😳...

Went for =

Full Turnbuckle kit

Carbon Front Shock Tower 

Alloy Servo mount 

Full Ball Bearing upgrade 

Moved into the building... Took my time and really enjoyed it..did a bit day by day could have smashed it together but wanted to enjoy my journey back into the hobby ...plus I had loads of time on my hands 👍..

Went really well and got massive enjoyment out of it. Couple of things during the building i noted ...the amount of play in the joints etc..does anyone know of any shim kits for all the suspension joints ? ..gone with standard Torque tuned upgraded motor and the CVA shocks for now.. completed the build and thought she was ready for a couple of batteries and she how she blows 😂...

Excited I was as my other RC is a 4WD Absima buggy which I have 'bashed' on both NIMH and 2s Lipo ...

Chucked a 3500 pack in and took her around the garden 🤔 first impressions wow 'wheelies' on standard Torque tuned and Nim battery 😁 loved the way the DT03 handles and loved the amount of steering movement compared to my other buggy 😳..and the 2wd is so much more fun 🥰..so after I ran her and got to grips with the DT03 chassis ...it's so much fun even just outside on the road ..loads of power and torque..pops the front wheels up for fun..so I shall digress ..having took her back inside and gave her a good look over I came up with the following ..

The rear suspension is way way too soft with the standard springs and oil 🤔 

Should I go Brushless ? 

I have 2s Lipo battery 😁

Front tyres are 'pants' and look wide and 'blocky' 

So guys and girls I am hooked on my Neo Fighter but need too address these issues above ...so hit me with your recommendations and oh yer the Grasshopper ...well that's my next build around October time apparently according to my wife 😟...gonna be a total standard out the box build as my dad bought me in 84 🥰

Really hope you liked reading my journey back with my DT03 and the anticipation of a Grasshopper build 🙈🙈

Help me I am hooked... please tell my wife 

👍

IMG_20200714_192426.jpg

sorry Mrs. Ironman, your husband is lost to this cause. Expect lots of small packages to start arriving in great quantities, the creation of a "workshop/man cave" in the very near future, and a sudden interest in shelving and display cabinets ;) 

• Haha 2

At last I have finally sourced the aluminium mesh that goes along the lower chassis tub 👍 basically I needed to find the right description 😂 thanks Google