markkat

Turbo Optima Frog Funco Buggy project

I have a lot of spare parts for two 1/10 RC cars: the Kyosho Turbo Optima, and the Tamiya Frog. My quest is to build a performant 2WD buggy that looks good, relying heavily upon the parts I have. My goal is to have something that looks like a late 70’s Funco buggy:

cMt9g0H.jpg

This will likely be some time in the making, but I'll post my progress here along the way.

The Optima has great motor placement compared to the Frog: low, rear, and centered. I only needed to seal the gearbox where the chain/belt feeds out, as I will be forgoing 4WD.

My first requirement for this buggy is that the battery is as low as possible and centered. With a new bottom, the Frog chassis accommodates a lipo lying flat right down the middle. I bent and cut some aluminum sheet for a bottom plate to arrive at this setup:

mJr0I7C.jpg

The Frog chassis already has much of the shape I want, but I shaved off some protruding parts, including the side mounts for the antenna. I’ll probably dye the plastic later in the process.

The way that the Optima rear arms attach provided a simple opportunity. The arms swing on pins that insert from the rear of the gearbox. All that was missing was holes to support the front of those pins. To both join the Frog bottom plate to the Optima gear box, and to provide holes for the rear arm pins, I cut a piece of square aluminum rod, and drilled holes for the pins and the screws coming in from the sides:

bp6UgT3.jpg

RYTcvdu.jpg

E1c5BOn.jpg

Aw yeah. Frogtima!:

A1nZovz.jpg

The next step was to solidify the hybrid connection. To do this, I trimmed some of the Frog’s upper body mounts back and cut some aluminum strips to create a bridge to the top of the gear box. I used a threaded aluminum spacer, and put it together:

OQtPNJB.jpg

UVLhsTA.jpg

The connection has no wiggle in it at all. It’s almost as if it were meant to be. 😊

My next goal is going to be getting the rear dog bone axles inserted, and the upper connectors for the rear arms installed. After that, I’ll be adding the rear suspension. I still have the Turbo Optima gold shocks, but I will probably get some that look more appropriate for the 70’s style I am after.

To be continued…

• Like 16

Well this is not something we would see every day, loving your work here

• Like 3

I'm liking this idea , Great job .

• Like 3

Thanks, @mtbkym01 and @matman.

The Frogtima Buggy project continues. The next step was to attach the dog bone axles and the upper rear arms. As I had previously chopped up the Optima mount that holds the upper rear arms (and rear shocks), I had to create a new solution. I found the placement for the arm mount attachment could be matched by extending some aluminum spacers from the Frog chassis.

I drilled some holes:

V21zxMt.jpg

and attached the spacers on M3 screws coming from the inside.

P8Ngylz.jpg

Y1ipiJb.jpg

Slightly hacky, but not terrible. The ball mounts for the arms screw nicely into the spacers:

91x3EBK.jpg

Thus the rear arm was mounted.

The arm doesn't take a lot of force, but I wasn't crazy about the leverage it had on that spacer, so I added some screws (and aluminum tube sheathing) coming from the gearbox into the spacers. This firmed up the mount, and also increased the strength of the Frog/Optima connection.

NoobTqG.jpg

RzqgIZO.jpg

Not too shabby.

The next step it to figure out how I am going to mount the shocks. I have the Optima Gold shocks on hand, so I might start with those, and replace them for style if I can find something more suitable.

If anyone has suggestions on for good performance shocks, I'd appreciate it. Extra points if I can find some that are white.

I'm starting to dig the Frogtima! :)

• Like 3

Great to see some good old craftsmanship instead of 3D printing B) but, IMHO, that long upper link mount may create much lever for a single hole fixing ;).

• Like 1

More Frogtima Buggy!

My first step was staring a this for a while and trying to figure out how to join the two:

oMNxP89.jpg

I cut off the top of front Optima gearbox, but left the lower swing arm portion. However, it didn't make sense to keep the Optima knuckles and axles, so I ordered some Ultima SC6 knuckles, and was pleased to find that I could add them with just the addition of an aluminum spacer.

UPwnqUE.jpg

I also did some cutting into the Frog chassis, and finally figured our how the Optima front could be attached.

wDKkE1W.jpg

The front was a bit too pitched up, and it took some working to get it right. However, once I had it figured out, I extended the bottom aluminum plate to fasten to the front assembly, and ran some aluminum bands from the chassis to the top. It is solid as a rock, and lighter than it looks.

1XzZ77i.jpg

AibcveU.jpg

Jrs3Rcx.jpg

I think a black Frog chassis would look so good, that I am tempted to replace it with the black version. However, I have some black Rit DyeMore, and I will see what effect that has. Any advice would be appreciated.

You might have noticed that the wheelbase is significantly longer than that of the humble Frog. The Frog has a 250mm wheelbase, whereas the Frogtima's is currently about 268mm. According to the ROAR Rulebook, the max for an off road 1/10 buggy is 292mm, so no issues there. I can actually extend it to 270mm by moving that spacer, and I might just do that.

1BBVAcl.jpg

An odd beast. I'm really starting to like this Frogtima.

The next step is figuring out how I am going to get a servo into the front end. I am going to look into some smaller servos. If anyone has a recommendation for a micro servo with enough torque, I am all ears.

After that I am going to figure out the shocks. I decided against using the Optima Golds. Both for aesthetics, and because there is enough Optima in this thing already. I can use the front shock mounts as is, but am going to have to get creative with the rear shock mounts as I don't have any upper options atm.

To be continued...!

• Like 10

@KalEl63 has tried dying an ORV chassis before, all that happened was it warped in the heat, but didn’t take the dye I’m pretty sure

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

@KalEl63 has tried dying an ORV chassis before, all that happened was it warped in the heat, but didn’t take the dye I’m pretty sure

I second that. I've managed to dye the battery door solid black with just minor (and acceptable) warpage, whereas the frame itself went into the bin after the attempt.  I'm not claiming it can't be done by people with more knowledge, experience and talent, but I have some experience with dyeing of parts and the ORV frame clearly seems to be an unsuitable candidate.

• Like 2

If the plastic is capable of taking the dye, it may be viable to do it with all the ally bracing in place to hold everything where it should be and minimise warping...?

The journey continues!

Some time on vacation and bashing about with my proper Frog, led me to consider more options for the Frogtima. I came back and did a 180, literally:

0ZHqMYQ.jpg

I turned the Optima gearbox around and went for a mid-motor setup.

I also painted the Frog chassis black. I tried Rit dye, but it didn't take very well, except for the spots where I cut and sanded it. I used a plastic-bonding primer. I'm sure it will scratch over time, but I can live with it. I think it looks pretty sharp.

rJlMroM.jpg

To make room for the motor, I needed to extend the bottom plate, taking the wheelbase from 268mm to 290mm. It's still within ROAR's 292mm for 1/10 scale, but just barely. It's not going to be the lightest buggy, but I think it will be well-balanced.

I decided to go with the stock rear shock mount, and I am waiting for a replacement to arrive since I hacked up the original. Next step is the steering.

1YpAhZ6.jpg

• Like 6

The Frogtima project continues!

I've lapsed a bit with taking photos of the process. Since last update, I have added shocks (Team Raffee double spring) on the front and back, and decided to use the Optima mounts. The rear mount was reversed with the gearbox, but it had little impact on the placement. I also used the Optima sway bars, although the back sway bars needed some trimming due to the gearbox flip. I mounted the front shocks to the arms rather than the hubs to make them more vertical than horizontal.

nUAyLop.jpg

pEpMvCW.jpg

I also added wheels and tires. The fronts are Proline Hoosier's (I rubbed the logo paint off), and the rear are some generics I got off ebay. As mentioned, I'd like to get a 70's Funco look to the buggy, so I'll probably replace the rears with a different tread.

CUvXP9Z.jpg

The biggest challenge thus far was the steering servo. I finally went with a AGFrc 8.5kg coreless servo that was both small enough yet provided enough torque. Mounting was a bit tricky, but I eventually got a setup that worked. There's no servo-saver, but direct was good enough for the Frog, so it's good enough for the Frogtima. We'll see how that works out. I'll likely trim the top mounts off to make room for the body. I'd like to get the hood as low profile as possible. I have some bent ball links coming that will bring the steering links more perpendicular rather than sweeping back, which will reduce the impact of vertical wheel travel on the alignment. 

7LLEw5b.jpg

The Frogtima has a healthy amount of ground-clearance. In the future I might get some shorter stocks for a lower optional stance.

GMYF2xM.jpg

I am happy with the look. My next steps are a bit of a rear roll cage, as well as a driver roll cage. After that, I am going to attempt to create a body with a flat piece of lexan and a heat gun. That should be interesting...

• Like 6

More Frogtima progress!

My time to work on this project has been sporadic, but it has been a lot of fun.

I replaced the servo head with an aluminum one, and used angled links to bring the arms towards perpendicular. I also shaved the top mount on the servo to make room for the body.

0SjFQ9R.jpg

Next step was a roll cage. I decide that I wanted an actual roll cage rather then the lexan shell, and I went with one from the Kyosho Scorpion. The Scorpion's rollcage is more angled than I wanted, however, so using a vice and a heatgun, I brought the angle more vertical:

qU2N5CB.jpg

XTZXd8q.jpg

ONOgcZO.jpg

I found an interesting way to connect the rear bars to some spacers jutting out of the rear shock mount plate.

EginUea.jpg

The next step was the body. As mentioned above, I tried to create one using a heat gun and a sheet of lexan. That proved far too difficult. The arduous process was leading to something that looked ok, but I could tell that I wouldn't be crazy with the end product. Instead, I decided to chop up a preformed body that was closer to what I was going for. I found this in a BOKI Racing Aftermarket RC10 Protech 2 on Ebay.

Here's the original "fit" which gave me a lot of material to work with:

dWzWIWP.jpeg

Slowly trimming away, I brought it down over the chassis:

m1hET88.jpg

And then I trimmed a bit more:

sCAErN9.jpg

While I was working to get the body on the chassis, I decided that the roll cage coud use some more work. To add some more form to it, and to better secure the back end, I ran some spacers between the rear shock mounts to the roll cage (I also reversed the vertical bar):

tmgMKRz.jpg

I might not be done with the roll cage just yet.

And then the paint:

5d3S76i.jpg

And some headlamps:

MvVQwlg.jpg

I have some decals on order from MCI Racing, and a few more tweaks that I would like to make. I've added oil to the shocks, and greased the gearbox. I have also added an ESC and a receiver.

Next up, finishing the roll cage (I'd like some bars running across the back), adding decals, and taking it for a spin. ATM I have my old Kyosho 240S in there. I'll post that shortly. :)

4Zwo0DU.jpg

tzZXf27.jpg

I think it also might need a driver. I have my Frog driver, but because the wheelbase is pushing the limits of 1/10, he looks a bit small. Are there any places where I might find a 1/9 driver?

• Like 10

Wow, great stuff here! Creative use of parts, and the end result looks terrific. Well done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Wow, great stuff here! Creative use of parts, and the end result looks terrific. Well done.

Thanks! It's been a ton of fun. A few more tweaks left.

Also, I am pleasantly surprised by the performance. Much better than my actual Frog (which I love no less)...

I'll post a video of the Frogtima soon.

A couple more updates...

The lexan body that I hacked up for the Frogtima came with a spoiler. After some deliberation, I decided to channel The Frog a bit more and go for it.

After some searching around, I ordered an Associated B64D Wing Mount, and realized I could couple it with this optional chassis piece from my original Frog (I added the aluminum spacer):

FoLo4X4.jpg

Those two pieces fit nicely against the rear Optima shock mount, fastened with a long M3 screw:

q7gcsQh.jpg

oGpIjPF.jpg

gcHXrgo.jpg

It looked like it was meant to be.

I then cut and painted the spoiler, and attached it:

RKWKuzF.jpg

6yx3UMB.jpg

Voila! I prefer the look with a spoiler. It's less traditional Funco, but imo the proportions are better this way, and it looks more bratty.

You might have noticed that I also swapped the aluminum Scorpion top for one I cut out of spare lexan. Some stress cracks are apparent after the heatgun bending, but I don't mind much. I am sure there will be more to come.

One bonus of adding the spoiler was the ability to sport the Frog's "No Guts, No Glory!" motto :) :

2KYLqMX.jpg

More decals to come, mostly from the Frog, I think. If we didn't have 7 inches of snow on the ground, I'd take a video of a run.

The Frogtima is a beast.

• Like 3

I found an interesting way to simplify the top of the Optima gearbox/Frog chassis connection.

Some time back, I ran some bars between the shock mounts and the rollcage:

tmgMKRz.jpg

However, I still had some roughly cut carbon fiber panel pieces spanning the Optima gearbox to the Frog chassis. It wasn't elegant, I didn't like it, and became a bit less necessary with the mount/rollcage connection.

Adding the wing mount created an opportunity to replace them.

I had a bit of angled black aluminum tubing with a M3 thread. With a headless M3 screw, I capped the tubing with a steering link that fit snug around the rear aluminum cross bar. I then threaded the screw running through the wing mount into the other end of the angled tubing. It was a perfect fit.

qI4D2ys.jpg

eQqim21.jpg

I was able to remove the panel connections, and it stabilized the wing mount to boot.

I also completed the decals.

Except for the numbers, which are from the GMade R1, I went with Frog decals from MCI. I gave the Frogtima the number 210 as an homage to its Optima roots.

nfhxXsT.jpg

iT6BEu2.jpg

FTOuU0D.jpg

• Like 7

Great build and ingenuity, a good read too! Can't wait to see a vid of it running!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 12:24 AM, Marcus2116 said:

Awesome build!!

On 2/23/2021 at 1:25 AM, Grotty Otty said:

This is brilliant, inspired. 😎

On 2/23/2021 at 2:59 AM, B.RAD said:

Great build and ingenuity, a good read too! Can't wait to see a vid of it running!

Thanks, all! Video forthcoming. The snow has been a mess, but we are in the 40's this week.

A couple of little tweaks...

I still had remnant Optima decals, so I added "Kyosho Racing" to more clearly display the Frogtima's heritage.

Also, I recently read this article about dual rate springs: https://shocktherapyst.com/the-truth-about-dual-rate-springs/

I went with the dual spring shocks for looks, and because it was my intuition that two spring rates would improve handling (soft springs for less travel on small bumps, hard springs for more travel on jumps). However, according to the article, you need either binding (full compression) of one spring, or a cross over ring to limit travel of the spring divider to get the benefit of dual springs. This from an ORV:

img-1877.jpg

The Team Raffee double springs I installed have the divider, but no cross over ring. Using short soft springs for the top of the front shocks, I am able to get binding when the springs are about half compressed:

5dyEmz5.jpg

This results in genuine dual spring rate, which you can feel.

I don't have long enough lower stiff springs to achieve binding of the top rear springs, unfortunately. I am now going to see if I can get longer springs, or create a cross over ring for them.

0wgfYbO.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, markkat said:

This results in genuine dual spring rate, which you can feel.

Well now you're just showing off! 😁... *Goes to garage to cut some springs and make retainers for the DT-03.... 

• Haha 1

Ok, I am pretty proud of this little mod... :)

I created a cross over sleeve (instead of a cross over ring), for the rear dual spring shocks.

After waxing on this a bit, I decided that some large heat shrink tubing might do the trick.

g6vqpVD.jpeg

Cut and shrunk:

2qgYUSG.jpeg

It fits nicely under the spring, but stops the collar:

Uncompressed:

uoAwTmR.jpeg

Stopping the collar:

WX3wSAE.jpeg

And the bottom spring compressing only:

6tEM7yG.jpeg

Genuine dual spring rate action!

Also, the heat shrink sleeve slides down if needed, so I can still use the top adjustment screw to tighten or loosen the shock.

Now I just need to do the other shock, and add them to the Frogtima!

• Like 3

On 1/31/2021 at 3:28 PM, markkat said:

I think it also might need a driver. I have my Frog driver, but because the wheelbase is pushing the limits of 1/10, he looks a bit small. Are there any places where I might find a 1/9 driver?

The “Multipurpose Driver Figure “ part 54864 is a little larger head than the “realistic” driver figure since it is slightly comical in nature and kind of a bobble-Head cartoon looking thing.  It’s not quite 1/8 scale , but it’s larger than the 1:10 realistic buggy driver figure 
I don’t know if that would “take you out “ of the scale look you are going for.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 8:24 AM, Dakratfink said:

The “Multipurpose Driver Figure “ part 54864 is a little larger head than the “realistic” driver figure since it is slightly comical in nature and kind of a bobble-Head cartoon looking thing.  It’s not quite 1/8 scale , but it’s larger than the 1:10 realistic buggy driver figure 
I don’t know if that would “take you out “ of the scale look you are going for.

Thanks for the suggestion!

MCIracing has scalable helmets, and I was thinking about taking a similar approach.

https://mciracing.ca/collections/introducing-red-wagon-rc-bodies-and-parts/products/helmet-8