rwordenjr

Help me pick a HORNET

Deciding on either the kit or XB version. If I get the XB version, I'm still going to take it apart and install ball bearings prior to running. 

Kit for me, you can choose your own electrics and battery and paint it whatever colour you like. It's a very simple build and the body is easy to spray. I've found mine best with a little more poke than usual (21t double as apposed to the 27t Silver can) a Mtronics speedo which has the correct sized switch and a Nimh battery (3300mah). All cheap and allow at least 20 mins run time. I've a 3500mah Nimh that fits as well. 

• Like 3

I'd say get the kit, build it yourself, it's always more rewarding.

• Like 4

Third option - I bought a scrappy second hand kit for peanuts, added AmPro front suspension and love it! So chuckable.

• Like 2

I would ideally go for a new kit, second option would be a restoration project, only if neither were available would I go for an XB.

• Like 2

Always go for a kit if you have the choice.  It is fun to build them, and it is rewarding when you've completed it.  Instant gratification is fine and overbearingly commonplace now, but there's something special about building a kit, watching it come together, and being able to give yourself a pat on the back and say, 'I did that'.

Also, you get to learn about the car as you're building it, so should something go wrong - electrics, gearbox, you prang it and break it, you will have an idea of what has gone wrong and will have a bit of knowledge in the bank that will allow you to sort out the little problems you might be faced with.  

I dare say a lot of ready to run models end up tucked away or discarded because of one tiny little issue that would have been simple to fix if the owner actually knew a little about the car and it's components, and what to do with it in any circumstance.  

Rome wasn't built in a day, but a Hornet can be.

• Like 7

Kit all the way. Especially the Hornet, which is one of the easier kits available from Tamiya. There's nothing like the feeling of running a car that you 'built'.

• Like 1

I'd 100% go with the kit option and with the money saved from not getting the XB version, buy a Team CRP front suspension upgrade and then go have some fun with it! :) 

• Like 1

Kit hands down.

Build it, learn how it goes together, add your desired electrics, paint it as you wish.

The satisfaction and knowledge gained from the build is invaluable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kit for me.  If you build it, it becomes twice-yours.  

• Like 3

Kit. The 1st time you stand back at look at it complete will be so much more rewarding. Pulling a finished car out of a box is just too dull for words.

• Like 1

Man, no love for the XB 😂. The XB actually cheaper than getting the kit and putting your own stuff in it right now.