•Axle

Limiting power...

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me, due to low stock with suppliers I decided to get what I think is a better esc and motor than what I initially wanted. I’ve gone ahead and ordered a Hobbywing Max10 and 3300KV motor combo with deans connectors hoping in the very near future to purchase my first 2s lipo battery, sticking with NiMH for now.

I’m thinking of a new transmitter and looking at Futaba FHSS as I like the responsiveness, but really detest the big screen on the front and want something a little more basic.

You may all laugh, but again it’s going in a GF-01, everything updated and I’m shimming this one also, with ceramic bearings etc.

I have looked on previous threads on here and people have stated that a 3300KV motor is ok for a 4WD with lots of gears to move. I obviously do not want to wreck anything, does anyone know if there’s a transmitter that I can limit the motors top end on? I see I can limit the ‘punch’ via esc settings.

Is what I’m proposing what others have done before?

I’m I going through a long process only to rip out the guts of my Tamiya?

Thanks for any information and advice you have in advance.

Cheers,

Al

Most modern transmitters have end point adjustment (EPA) that you can set to 'slow' the motor down. I have a relatively cheap unit (£50 range) that has lots of bells and whistles - most of which I don't use, but does have EPA and I find it really useful. I use it to slow down my cars when my kids have a go or if I'm running some older re releases etc. Defo worth looking into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that, there’s a lot a great areas in my understanding this hobby. I think Futaba’s most basic transmitter has an EPA, will look now. Thanks!

The kv might be ok BUT motor can size can vary and I think many of the HW are on he big size compared to the 540 type

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

The kv might be ok BUT motor can size can vary and I think many of the HW are on he big size compared to the 540 type

Thanks for that, my heart has been in my mouth, scrambling around trying to find the details on the motor, looks like I was in luck!

‘3652SL = 36 is the diameter of the motor 52 the length in mm. SL = Sensorless.
Making the above std 540 size with std 1/10th" shaft.’

This is it;

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=420922

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 6:22 PM, •Axle said:

Thanks for that, there’s a lot a great areas in my understanding this hobby. I think Futaba’s most basic transmitter has an EPA, will look now. Thanks!

One of the most used features on my radios, dropping the throttle ,End Point, down to 30%, will mean full throttle is 30%. I use it when the kids are driving.

The motor link, says the shaft is 3.2mm , standard 540 size 👍

• Like 1

So I received the esc and 3300kv combo and I have to say I’m over the moon with it, even on NiMH. It’s transformed the vehicle! Great amount of power to the wheels instantly, so much so that I can park it on a ramp and pop off the top without the small run up.

A lot of fun compared to the Sport Tuned motor, might post a video on the YouTubed thread, but sure you’ve seen it all before though 😂

• Like 1