metalheadDad

Check out the paint.. translucent blue and anodized silver

I've always found it hard to find a good set of photos for various paint colors, so I'm hoping someone will find this useful if you're looking to try something new.

The RX-7 is: Translucent Blue (PS38) backed first by Bright Gunmetal (PS63) and then by normal Gunmetal. (PS23). I used the entire can of Trans Blue. I split the two gunmetals between cars.

The Audi A4 is: Satin Silver Anodized Aluminum (PS48) backed by the same two gunmetals as the RX -7. I used an entire can of the Satin Silver Anodized Aluminum.

I'm beyond happy with the results, in person they are really vivid and present a great sense of depth.

Video links here:

A4: 

RX-7

Photos

IMG_20200703_164208.jpg

IMG_20200703_165627.jpg

• Like 15

Yeah - im only recently discovering backing 

backed my vaillant porsche in black

it darkened and deepened the green

yq0KZPW.jpg

I have ordered some silvers and blacks to back in future 

wish I had a model shop near that I could get paints cheaper :(

JJ

• Like 8

That blue looks bonkers!

What would be the difference between a translucent colour backed with silver or metallic silver, and just a metallic colour straight on the shell, maybe backed with white?

My Novafox as box art should be ps4, but I am thinking of going metallic blue instead just to make it a little more sparkly, but the translucent idea also looks really good!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 8:19 AM, foz75 said:

That blue looks bonkers!

What would be the difference between a translucent colour backed with silver or metallic silver, and just a metallic colour straight on the shell, maybe backed with white?

My Novafox as box art should be ps4, but I am thinking of going metallic blue instead just to make it a little more sparkly, but the translucent idea also looks really good!

I haven't used a straight metallic yet so I cannot comment based on actual experience, but I'd have to imagine the straight metallic blue might have more flake in it. 

Fyi..Tamiya PS53 "Lame Flake" might help with this. It is a clear flake paint that I'm told you can apply first just for the crazy flake and then back that with a color.

The benefits of using the translucent with your own backing is you can control the color, depth and hue more? Keep in mind I used an entire can of the trans blue, if I had stopped at 2 or 3 coats instead, I'd be able to see the backing color come through a bit more. Which may have yielded more flake or a brighter pop.

I went for depth and richness. Where my blue lacks in sparkle flake it makes up for in pure richness. When I pick it up and move it around under the light it is really gorgeous. With subtle color shifts.

I have translucent orange to do on my 240z shell and plan on experimenting with a diff backing combination.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing how you created this beautiful color, I'm about to use your formula on my 73 Bronco Body for my Brushless E-Maxx. Once again thanks, your RX7 is gorgeous!

2 hours ago, Jonny Depth said:

Thanks for sharing how you created this beautiful color, I'm about to use your formula on my 73 Bronco Body for my Brushless E-Maxx. Once again thanks, your RX7 is gorgeous!

Hi Jonny Depth

I backed it with the bright Gunmetal first and then the normal gunmetal.  Good luck and thanks for the compliments! Cant wait to see your results!

• Like 1

It was these great paint jobs that inspired this, translucent red, anodised silver and black to finish.

I'm in awe of some of the finishes on these bodies, mine definitely shows up the variances in my translucent spraying as so kindly pointed out by my ex "looks darker on the roof" yeah it does, move along 🤣🤣

DSC_2728.thumb.JPG.0644276dffa41e6c71dfd5afbb871686.JPG

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Nwc100 said:

It was these great paint jobs that inspired this, translucent red, anodised silver and black to finish.

I'm in awe of some of the finishes on these bodies, mine definitely shows up the variances in my translucent spraying as so kindly pointed out by my ex "looks darker on the roof" yeah it does, move along 🤣🤣

DSC_2728.thumb.JPG.0644276dffa41e6c71dfd5afbb871686.JPG

That looks super nice! Its like candy😁

MHD, would love to see how your RX7 looks out in the Sun.  I’ve been looking for nice blue colors to do some bodies in. 

I went the safe route with pactra metallic blue backed with pactra silver on my RSR.  

C0D32D03-914D-48C2-AE01-321B8E167A3D_zps

It looks really nice but I wish I would’ve went with some PS 59 Dark Mettalic Blue instead. 

Here is a translucent red backed with bright gunmetal.  The paint looks silky in the sun. 

985F42E5-0442-4EA6-9F50-56B8BD65D5D3_zps

has anyone tried the PS44 translucent green backed with gun metal? 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Shodog said:

MHD, would love to see how your RX7 looks out in the Sun.  I’ve been looking for nice blue colors to do some bodies in. 

I went the safe route with pactra metallic blue backed with pactra silver on my RSR.  

C0D32D03-914D-48C2-AE01-321B8E167A3D_zps

It looks really nice but I wish I would’ve went with some PS 59 Dark Mettalic Blue instead. 

Here is a translucent red backed with bright gunmetal.  The paint looks silky in the sun. 

985F42E5-0442-4EA6-9F50-56B8BD65D5D3_zps

has anyone tried the PS44 translucent green backed with gun metal? 

Dude that Porsche is awesome. Love the paint and wheel combo!

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2020 at 10:02 AM, metalheadDad said:

The RX-7 is: Translucent Blue (PS38) backed first by Bright Gunmetal (PS63) and then by normal Gunmetal. (PS23).

IMG_20200703_164208.jpg

I was going to do something similar with a blue RX7.  I think you've just about got it exactly right for what I was intending.

hFue2RI.jpg

Here's my own translucent purple painted EvoX (although it's now someone else's shelf model).  I used translucent purple then backed it with gun metal and black.  It looks almost black in normal light but when the sunlight hits it the purple comes out.

CXPYm0o.jpg

• Like 2

That looks AMAZING!! There's several here that are exceptional. 👍👍  I'm definitely going to have to try Translucents. I absolutely see how you can control the tone and color better. 

Here's what I used on my latest... IMG_20201015_130132.thumb.jpg.c4cbc16d710ea334205c778ddec9514e.jpg

I did 3 light coats of PS-18 Metallic Purple, then backed it with Metallic Silver, which really brightened it, then PS-63 Bright Gunmetal. Then Black, because it just looks better inside... IMO. IMG_20201015_180308.thumb.jpg.1941d567c5aa8d818f70d08d653a977d.jpg

I think anyway, it turned out better than any of the Colors separately!  But now I want to play around with the Translucent Paints. 

.... And thanks for explaining what "Lame" was. I almost thought that it was a Tamiya April Fool's!!! 😂  So, is it an ultra flake, like 70's and 80's Speedboats and Dune Buggies?

I backed translucent red with gunmetal on my hotshot looks amazing in the sun I liked it so much I did my turbo optima the same!

20180603_121342.jpg

20190713_222544.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1