TenzoR

JConcept Regulator Chassis Conversion Kit for Tamiya Clod Buster

oooooh...

I've been waiting some time for this. I love watching Jconcepts' videos and have been studying the development of this chassis. One thing that always turns me off about race Clods is the chassis. They cease looking realistic with their bodies hung in the air over and tiny, minimalistic, centralized chassis. Amazing performance for sure, but aesthetics go out the window. Its one of the reason I still use my Bennett Clod over current designs. For realism up until this point, I still prefer the stock chassis tub. Tamiya actually put small details into it to make it look more realistic. 

The Jconcepts Regulator chassis has the same attention to detail both in performance and aesthetics. As they note, there is a nod to the appearance of the stage two monsters from back in the day with their straight rail chassis. Its nice to have something that performs while sill looking like a real truck. In watching the footage of them in action, they even perform like a stage two truck. With the shocks mounted out by the axles (and the natural struggle to control the Clod's massive unsprung weight), there is still some bounce when they come down from a jump but nowhere near as much as a stock Clod. Furthermore, they appear to be infinitely more controllable. They land and track straight, quickly settling down. That's no small feat in a Clod when racing. I'm really glad to see companies like Jconcepts offering good quality parts for our Clods and monster trucks in general in these times. Between the videos and listening the Jason Ruona on the Radio Impound Podcast, you can tell they have a genuine passion for RC.  

• Like 1

Definitely debating on getting this to complement my TXT-1 

A lot of money but I caved. 1 set + 2 steering kits on the way

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joeling said:

Where did you order from?

9 hours ago, joeling said:

I didn't cave fast enough so the steering kits are out of stock.... that should hold me from ordering ... 

On 7/10/2020 at 6:16 PM, toyolien said:

Where did you order from?

direct from J Concepts

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joeling said:

direct from J Concepts

Aah ok. I see they're sold out of the sero mounts..  

I've emailed Jconcepts three times in the last 3 weeks asking when they are getting more stock in and a couple of other questions about the chassis build, and have had no replies. Shame really as i was ready to order one.

@toyolien I too emailed jconcepts about this on 20th July & they advised me they expect the servo kit back in stock in 3 to 5 weeks. So somewhere between 10th & 24th August and I expect demand is really high which is why you’ve not heard back yet. Would not be surprised if the price goes up too.

I'm still waiting for the video they're supposed to be doing on the steering kit...

• Like 1

@J@mes I think the demand is high, however their contact form automatically sends a reply email saying they will get back to you in 24-48hrs. Not heard anything in three weeks. I think the price is very high to start with, so I'm not going to order one. I contacted the UK distributor to see if they will be stocking them, and was told (they replied the same day!), that JConcepts would only be selling them direct from their website due to the low margins they are working with on this product. So, I'm going to give it a miss.

Jconcepts appears to have their build videos up for the Regulator chassis and Steering kit. I've only seen the steering video so far as I was curious on how the trimmed things for more throw. They appear to be using stock axle shafts (not MIP CVDs) and trim the steering stops right off the knuckle. I'm interested to know if there's any binding between the stock dogbone axle end and drive cup with all that extra travel.

In their YouTube clips they explain about dremeling the ladders etc & show footage of test runs, seems there’s no binding or the setup wouldn’t work 👍

15 hours ago, J@mes said:

In their YouTube clips they explain about dremeling the ladders etc & show footage of test runs, seems there’s no binding or the setup wouldn’t work 👍

I was always under the impression that the axles end and drive cup would bind if the stops were shaved completely off which would lead to a broken axle shaft over time, hence the invention of CVDs for the Clod.

That makes sense, I mean why would Tamiya put them there in the 1st place, right? Eventually I’ll get one of these Regulator chassis kits plus the a behind the axle steering kit and put it to the test myself.

So the BAS set is available again, got a couple on order but not the chassis, not this time.