jellon

Rat look paint repair

I was wondering if anyone has tried to do realistic-looking rough repairs on their paintwork? My lunch box shell is starting to get scuffed and I thought it would be fun to patch it up as I go - give it a lived in look. 

I'd be interested to see if anyone has tried something like this. 

Obviously we could strip it back and respray, but I like the idea of living with the damage. A bit like the way they repair broken pottery with gold... But slightly more rubbish. Haha.

I know there are ways to achieve a patina effect from the start, but can it be done in small patches? 

IMG_7017.jpeg

Lots of techniques for this . Jenny-Mo has done a LOT of distress on various models , as have other members , using different ways to achieve this .

• Thanks 1

I've had a look through those and there are some nice ideas. I guess what I'm looking for is an easy way to patch small scuffed areas and make it look like a scale repair or rust. Most methods require air brushes and/or painting the whole shell with a primer and stripping back to it. 

Any suggestions or links would be much appreciated. 

Excellent - thanks.

I had a little play today with some acrylics and sand on my son's (already crazily painted by him) Playmobil truck. It's not great, but I think I'm getting somewhere. Too much metallic!

I need something tough, as this is a basher. That rust kit looks great.

IMG_20200705_192820617.jpg

• Like 1

I've found it works well, used it on 1/16 tanks to rust exhausts etc and its holding up well despite being on there for years.