bozatron

need help choosing a brushless setup for my first TT02

So I'm still somewhat of a newbie, with only a couple of monster truck models under my belt, but i have a hankering to build a touring car. I don't have anywhere local to race it, so this is going to be a car park ripper, rather than out and out race car. So to keep the budget down I'm thinking TT02R kit with a nice body and a brushless setup, however as I am still a newb I'm looking for nothing too fast, just a bit more than standard (sport-tuned ish) and I'd like to be able to solder everything up so I can make a neat job of the wiring. Also I don't want to go crazy money something around 100bucks. Any  recommendations?

• Like 1

The cheapest option would be to keep the TBLE-02 ESC if you get one with the kit, and obtain a "Bluebottle" 17.5t or 13.5t brushless motor. A slightly more expensive but better-performing option would be to get a 10BL60 ESC to go with the Bluebottle. This has a wider range of adjustment, which can be accessed via a program card or the built-in button. 

• Like 2

I think hobbyking still sell the Trackstar Turbo 80a ESC and motor combo for around USD80. Add a USD10 program box and you've got a cheap potent setup

Does the TT02R kit come with an ESC? If it does then do as Turnip suggests and use that with a brushless motor. I would go for 13.5T as a 17.5T will really need the high speed gearset and yeah racing motor mount to get the right gear ratio.

If budget is important you could look at the TT02D kit instead. It comes with bearings and oil shocks already, as well as a sport tuned motor, ESC and the body. It has drift tyres so you need to buy some rubber tyres, but then you have a decent carpark basher which can drift too for not a huge outlay. The ESC can handle brushless motors too so its a cheap upgradevwhen you want to

• Like 1

I have this trackstar 80A esc and a 13,5 motor from them while they were popular. Great thing but you cant run it on 3s.

I do recommend if they have it on stock at hobbyking, the HK X Car 120A esc with any sensored motor, this esc can go low as 3.5T on 2s.

10.5T on 3s.

any carson dragster combo is also very good. The first sensorless Tamiya ESC TBLE01 is the same as the Carson Dragster Shooter ESC. Also does run 3s

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The cheapest option would be to keep the TBLE-02 ESC if you get one with the kit, and obtain a "Bluebottle" 17.5t or 13.5t brushless motor. A slightly more expensive but better-performing option would be to get a 10BL60 ESC to go with the Bluebottle. This has a wider range of adjustment, which can be accessed via a program card or the built-in button. 

Thanks for the help :) I'll look into the bluebottle - what's the actual name? is it a tamiya motor? the kit hasn't got an ESC but i have a spare TBLE-02 ESC from my lunchbox kit as I fitted a 1060 that i picked up in a sale. 

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I think hobbyking still sell the Trackstar Turbo 80a ESC and motor combo for around USD80. Add a USD10 program box and you've got a cheap potent setup

Does the TT02R kit come with an ESC? If it does then do as Turnip suggests and use that with a brushless motor. I would go for 13.5T as a 17.5T will really need the high speed gearset and yeah racing motor mount to get the right gear ratio.

If budget is important you could look at the TT02D kit instead. It comes with bearings and oil shocks already, as well as a sport tuned motor, ESC and the body. It has drift tyres so you need to buy some rubber tyres, but then you have a decent carpark basher which can drift too for not a huge outlay. The ESC can handle brushless motors too so its a cheap upgradevwhen you want to

Thanks for the advice - I'll check out the Hobbyking combo, the TT02R doesn't come with an ESC but I have a spare TBLE 02, the kit does come with quite a few upgrades including bearings, adjustable motor mount (18-22 but not sure if that is correct?), 68T high speed gears and oil shocks.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bozatron said:

Thanks for the help :) I'll look into the bluebottle - what's the actual name? is it a tamiya motor? the kit hasn't got an ESC but i have a spare TBLE-02 ESC from my lunchbox kit as I fitted a 1060 that i picked up in a sale. 

"Bluebottle" is a generic term for the unbranded blue-canned sensored brushless motors available from various online sellers, usually around the £25 mark but sometimes for as little as £12.

Here is an example: (although this one is rather overpriced - I would shop around)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/540-4-5T-13-5T-Sensored-Brushless-Motor-for-1-10-Scale-Remote-Control-Car/164030764146

30 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

"Bluebottle" is a generic term for the unbranded blue-canned sensored brushless motors available from various online sellers, usually around the £25 mark but sometimes for as little as £12.

Here is an example: (although this one is rather overpriced - I would shop around)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/540-4-5T-13-5T-Sensored-Brushless-Motor-for-1-10-Scale-Remote-Control-Car/164030764146

Ah thanks, I'll have a hunt through ebay :) 

Generally they seem rather good, but lately I have been coming across some issues. A member on here has one that seems to be extremely prone to cogging even though brand new, and one that I fitted to a colleague's car has recently started exhibiting the same behaviour even though it was fine when first fitted. Still, the good reports outnumber the bad, so probably worth a punt.

10 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Generally they seem rather good, but lately I have been coming across some issues. A member on here has one that seems to be extremely prone to cogging even though brand new, and one that I fitted to a colleague's car has recently started exhibiting the same behaviour even though it was fine when first fitted. Still, the good reports outnumber the bad, so probably worth a punt.

thanks, been reading similar reports and its put me off to be honest. Apparently the motors are quite good but the esc isn't the best. Thinking about the SMD ones that modelsport sell (see below), on the basis that they probably don't sell stuff that has lots of comebacks..