Tamps

ESC location on lunch box?

Couple of questions now my LB has arrived...

where is the best place to locate the esc... I’ve seen it on the shelf as per manual, and also just down from that shelf in the bucket? Oh, and the orientation?

how much grease should I be using? I’ve built the gear box now, so probably should have asked this question earlier... I have a feeling I may not have used enough. 

Anyone got simple recommendations for the 5th shock and the brace between the wheelie bar and the gear box?

well, I guess that’s all now in the current build.... it’s my first... really enjoying it... I can see my fleet growing!! 

• Like 3

The esc is perfectly ok to be in the bucket or on the shelf, just mind that the motor wires are long enough to reach the motor without being too taught.

Depending on how much power you're going to be running through it, a small amount of grease is sufficient. I've seen lunchboxes being run without grease at all with no issue, it's a pretty tough gearbox to break if you've built it right.

I personally used the suspension brace 3d printed triangular-like bit from shapeways. Much simpler to install than the fifth shock, and very effective.

Hope that helped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have 2 runners and they have different positions of ESC and RX for no reason other than I fitted them like that . I made platforms to hold the ESC / RX to keep them out of the 'bucket' and give better air flow to cool them and keep the debris out

P7040003.JPG

P7040001.JPG

• Like 2

I always fit my ESC on the rear rising wall of the bucket which works well for me. 

• Like 1

THe motor wires do seem strangely short to be honest, so sitting the esc on the shelf is probably wise. 

@KEV THE REV love those platforms... really neat... cables look nice and tidy too. 

@DeadMeat1966 I’ve had a look on shapeways, and can see the brace I’d like to get... trouble is, the shipping is more than the item. I might see if there’s a marketplace thread on here... maybe if a few people that live near me are also wanting parts from shapeways we can buy together and share the cost of the shipping... I’d rather a short car journey than paying £10 in shipping costs! 

• Like 3

I've got the AmPro / Shapeways fitting on one of my LB's and a 5th shock mod on the other . The AmPro fitting is by far the easiest way of correcting the problem , and no purchase of 5th shock and fittings needed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tamps said:

@DeadMeat1966 I’ve had a look, and can see the brace I’d like to get... trouble is, the shipping is more than the item. I might see if there’s a marketplace thread on here... maybe if a few people that live near me are also wanting parts from shapeways we can buy together and share the cost of the shipping... I’d rather a short car journey than paying £10 in shipping costs! 

Shipping seems high because the item, and hence the solution, is so cheap in comparison. Compare the cost and effort of fitting a fifth shock with this and pick the better option I say.

That's what I did and I didn't regret it one bit.

• Like 1

That’s true. 

1 minute ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Shipping seems high because the item, and hence the solution, is so cheap in comparison. Compare the cost and effort of fitting a fifth shock with this and pick the better option I say.

That's what I did and I didn't regret it one bit.

I guess for me, we’re talking initial outlay, as I’m starting from scratch, I’m buying quite a lot in a short space of time at the moment.... and just getting a feel how all of this and the community works. But you are right... it’s such a simple but effective mod... the £17 is probably worth it... but if I can get it for less whilst helping other TCers too, all the better. I will end up getting this for sure!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

I've got the AmPro / Shapeways fitting on one of my LB's and a 5th shock mod on the other . The AmPro fitting is by far the easiest way of correcting the problem , and no purchase of 5th shock and fittings needed

I’ve got a NIB LB kit to build and I like the idea of buying the AmPro fitting but the cost always put me off. 

I’m pretty sure I’ll end up buying one though. 

Is the diff lock worth buying?  

11 hours ago, Tamps said:

That’s true. 

I guess for me, we’re talking initial outlay, as I’m starting from scratch, I’m buying quite a lot in a short space of time at the moment.... and just getting a feel how all of this and the community works. But you are right... it’s such a simple but effective mod... the £17 is probably worth it... but if I can get it for less whilst helping other TCers too, all the better. I will end up getting this for sure!!! 

You don't necessarily need it..... But those little springs don't last long, or do much while they are in place.

I understand you don't fancy an extra financial outlay right now, I was in the same position a couple of weeks ago. If you don't mind drilling a couple of tiny holes, you can use fishing line to do the same thing. See recent post in the Re-release forum (scroll to the end).

Some people just leave it altogether and let it clonk around :)

• Like 1

It's a nice simple mod to do yourself... and free! Also, it keeps the bouncy character of the suspension quite well.

I'd have at least a few goes without any fix - just to see it as nature intended :)

• Like 1

Cheers @jellon appreciated. I had been looking at getting the thingiverse one printed in the uk... quite cheap, but that link you sent seems to suggest that it’s not a great one, and the ampro brace is better designed. Also, saw your reference to shoo goo... haven’t watched the vid, but, I’m guessing it’s Sugru, which is easily available in the UK, as that’s pronounced similar to shoo goo! I’ve used it a few times in different applications, very good product... I actually have some I keep in my tool box. 

13 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I’m pretty sure I’ll end up buying one though. 

It is a good item , and as I said before , it's easier to fit than to scratch building or sourcing a 5th shock and installing it . I also built sets of F&R stabilizers for the LB's and I think that helps all round to back up the AmPro / 5th shock as I haven't rolled at speed in corners for a long time if ever even with a 15T  , I have 'bicycled' however but that's due to tyre dig in or divot more than anything . I also fitted all the chassis tub braces and that helps tighten the whole thing up and makes it more responsive

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tamps said:

That’s true. 

2 hours ago, jellon said:

It's a nice simple mod to do yourself... and free! Also, it keeps the bouncy character of the suspension quite well.

I'd have at least a few goes without any fix - just to see it as nature intended :)

It is very easy to get obsessed and spends a lot of cash on any model.

I would keep it simple and add bearings and alloy body posts- enjoy it and then develop it as you go a long, that way you know what you have, what you are working with and you will have a true measure of the improvements that you have made.

There is a really good YouTube video by 1 of the TC'ers with cheap or free mods by Shenco well worth watching- 

I've had 9 LB's now and my daughters is pretty well specced with bearings, lights, torque tuned motor, alloy body posts, CVA's, 5th shock mod, uprated wheelie bar, etc, etc- does she care no she just likes it- the mods were all about me.

I am just about to build a NIB which will start out almost bog standard and then over the next few years it will get run and run and slowly developed.

• Like 2

I've done this fishing line mod and I've used a 5th shock mod, and honestly I couldn't notice any difference. I'd go with this mod if its just for bashing like I do, and it's cheaper than sourcing a brace or extra shock

• Like 2

On 7/5/2020 at 1:49 AM, jellon said:

Look on page 2 - I took a few photos

THAT'S crazy COOL!!! 😎

To turn a Lunchie into something completely different, that's a nice idea.