Sign in to follow this  
Rusty Spanner

M-05Ra. Essential upgrades and set up tips?

Hiya!

Halfway through my 2CV Rally build at the mo. Currently standard appart from a Sport Tuned motor and bearings. 

I've built it with the higher ground clearance settings, as I plan to use it on gravel. 

Just wondering about the benefits of tyre foams and oil filled shocks on this chassis?

I have a TT02b and a Lunchie, both of which have benefitted immensely from some simple upgrades, foams and posh shocks yeilding the biggest improvements.

Completely new to the M chassis so all advice welcome. 

Any other tips for this lovely little build much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Stay safe,

Pete. 

Like many Tamiyas, bearings, oil shocks and a steel pinion are pretty much obligatory if you are to enjoy anything approaching the chassis' true potential.

If you plan to run it on gravel, rubber-sealed bearings are preferable as they do a better job of keeping out the dirt compared to metal shielded ones.

Tyre foams are also highly recommended for offroad use, as without them, dust and small dirt particles get into the tyres through the vent holes in the rims, weighing them down and unbalancing them.

The M-05 also benefits from a metal motor mount, ideally with a heatsink attached, as the motor doesn't get a lot of airflow buried in the side of the chassis like it is.

Ballraced alloy steering is also worth adding, as the stock plastic rack has a fair amount of slop in it. Yeah Racing make a nice one that is considerably better value than Tamiya's offering.

This guide is for the v.2 on tarmac but I have used the set-up sheet at the end for a baseline.

https://www.thercracer.com/2017/07/tamiya-m05-v2-guide-mods-tuning-and.html

I'd echo @TurnipJF (and will now add foams to my tyres, thanks!) and have just bought the heat sink for my motor mount.

I went for 54000 oil dampers as I've gone a bit OTT on my build.