Seanster43

Trf201 Pinion Question

Hello, I have searched and been unlucky also had a read in the builds section unfortunately gear ratios has always been a total muddle for me. Is there a dummys guide to make it easier 😂.  Anyways I plan to run a Superstock Bz  motor to the kits standard 79t spur and I was wanting to know what would be best pinion to run for acceleration and likewise what would be better for top end. 

Cheers

Sean

@Seanster43  well I initially went with 8.56 on the Super Stock BZ and the motor was getting really hot and so was the ESC. I looked at the manual again for the BZ and it states use within 9:1 - 11.1. So basically I had it over geared, perhaps if you took the foam off that protects the motor from dust you could get away with 8.56 or add extra cooling.

Since then I have changed it to the 9.1 specified minimum (or maximum depending how you look at it) and it runs a lot cooler now. Obviously it has lost a bit of top end but compared to something like a silver can it is a absolute missile.

On 7/5/2020 at 7:24 PM, Seanster43 said:

Hello, I have searched and been unlucky also had a read in the builds section unfortunately gear ratios has always been a total muddle for me. Is there a dummys guide to make it easier 😂.  Anyways I plan to run a Superstock Bz  motor to the kits standard 79t spur and I was wanting to know what would be best pinion to run for acceleration and likewise what would be better for top end. 

Cheers

Sean

Try 23-22 as a starting point depending on where and how you are driving it. I'm on 23/75 with a 9t sensorless brushless and 2s Lipo. 

If you look at the set-up sheets on PetitRC you can see some wild gear ration choices, like 25/79 with an 6.5T modified motor. So plenty of scope to dick around. I did try running 18/19 but things were getting too hot from under gearing. Probably wouldn't go much higher with the 9t.