toybaron

SRB Monoshock, seeking advice

another project I had in storage for a few years finally saw some light and progress...This SRB mutt has a mix of repro and vintage parts, and the focus is meant to be on the vintage Premier Designs Monoshock. The roll bar is a vintage RCH part, the sway bar is a vintage Parma set up, the front uprights are RCH as are the rear arms (I think)...The butterfly chassis is a reproduction, the wheels and tires are re-re, a few more bits here and there.

Seeking advice about two things:
1/ what's the right sort of period body for this
2/ considering the rollbar rear attachment, is there something less "hacky" I might try or try to source?

also grateful for any other suggestions to dial this in, ie the sway bar attachment point on the rollbar isnt awesome

Thanks in advance!!!

monoshock.jpg

monoshock rollbar.jpg

• Like 2

Bodywise I would go for a lexan Rough Rider type with the rear removed - team blue groove  do a MRP Mears body on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MRP-MEARS-BODY-rough-rider-buggy-champ-rc10-vtg/150590024979?hash=item230fdd6d13:g:NI8AAMXQROxRFxaI

So it would look like the one below.

art_113200483920_2.jpg

The rear cage looks like it was for the Super Champ, so maybe a Super Champ/Fighting Buggy rear bumper set up could work. RC Channel make one - link http://www.rcchannel.com.tw/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=466

Thanks for these suggestions. I just ordered a couple of bodies that might work (including the Mears) and I actually had the rear Superchamp set up from RC channel -- playing with that now, not a direct "bolt on" but promising!

If you need any help let me know. I just got a Lexan rough rider and chopped the back off. As for the rollbar at the rear apart from putting it at the back, that’s the mounting point. It was all a bit new back in the early 80s but these rear cages where amazing. If you think about it, there where around 3-4 manufacturers all of which had consistent mounting holes for Nerfbars, Anti-roll bars and monoshock mounts, again for each item there where multiple manufacturers. This is pre internet and global - Australia, USA and UK all played big roles. I’ve got lots of reference shots sourced from various places just let me know what your after and I will see if I have it.

Do you have the nerf bars? What sort of shocks are you planning on using?

Hi Hedge, your feedback is very much appreciated!! I've ordered some TeamBlueGroove repro bodies and will see which one seems to line up best. I can fashion some cosmetic improvement if I cant get the RC channel version to fit -- first dry fit and it wasnt matching up well enough. I dont have nerf bars and am on the lookout for some shocks as well -- there was a set of Kyosho 1/8 shocks with extenders (ebay) that would have been perfect but the seller accepted an offer before I could jump in...any suggestions old or new parts appreciated. The goal is a complete car and I 'll keep upgrading parts over time as I find originals or better version. ...It's already been years so obviously no rush ;)

The question is how deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go :)

These cars are worthless. Tamiya collectors are not interested, I think its because they are not Tamiya any more and your Tamiya collector is not into racing. So you need to decide. The other aspect to this is apart from a genuine Taipan, they are just a collection of aftermarket hop ups, so you can put as few or as many on as you like. 

The shocks where Kyosho Landjump 1/8th buggy shocks, sometimes they dont come with the coilovers, just the damper, this was for the original Landjump, Graupner did Kyosho in Germany and the additional coilover spring sets Ive got are part Graupner 4929/19 . CRP released a set of shock extenders but many people just made their own. If you look in my showroom you will see I made a set and used some HPI shocks on a roughrider. 

1745409997_ShockTowers.thumb.jpg.d7e961018581955d79bd265e356cc09f.jpg

Ive seen these buggies go on ebay from between 150 - 500 depending on the bidders. I stopped looking years ago so not sure if there still around, but I would start searching and keep an eye out for a complete one. It will be dirty rusty but should clear up well. Search wise its tough to know what sellers will put, the cars could be Roughriders, Sandscorchers or Superchamps. This seller knew what they where selling, its just the shocks but worth noting. Also just do a sold search on ebay for "Tamiya RCH" and you get  few hits (as of today)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kyosho-Tamiya-Srb-Rch-Crp-Vintage-Cb-88-Shocks-Vintage-Rough-Rider-Sand-Scorcher/114252261482?hash=item1a99f7286a:g:tCMAAOSwB0he2XDw

I also found the instruction for the anti-rollbar

1395501560_Antirollbar.thumb.jpg.5244b1380108b02f57ad982258857350.jpg