RCRLMichael

Need receiver recommendation for CC-01 build

Hi all,

I'm looking for receiver (and ultimately transmitter) recommendations for my upcoming CC-01 build.  Not looking to break the bank, but would like something that's waterproof (if that's a thing) since I plan to use this vehicle purely for recreational rock crawling and slow trail drives (no high-speed or competitive use).  Not sure how many channels I'm going to need; I do plan to run lights and would like the ability to turn them on and off using the transmitter.  I'd also like to run a winch at some point too, which I'd also like to actuate using the transmitter.

Not sure this is important but I'm planning to run a brushed motor setup although I haven't decided if / when I'm going to swap the stock silver can for something like a 55T or 60T unit.  I'll be looking to get a metal pinion gear to replace the stock plastic unit regardless.

I should also mention I don't plan to swap out the stock Tamiya ESC that comes with the kit, unless someone can provide a compelling argument that it's worth the added expense to do so.

Thanks very much in advance.  Cheers!

I have not heard of a waterproof receiver, however, Traxxas makes waterproof receiver boxes.  Most are less than $15. They are not 100% waterproof, as nothing is, but it will meet your trail needs. Toss in a small desiccant pack from computer parts packaging for extra insurance.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5624

As for TX/RX I am partial to the Futaba T-3PV. Lots of adjustments, easy to use, supports 10 models.  

If you need one ridiculously cheap, a factory take-off such as an Axial Tactic from ebay will run $30-60.

55 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

I have not heard of a waterproof receiver, however, Traxxas makes waterproof receiver boxes.  Most are less than $15. They are not 100% waterproof, as nothing is, but it will meet your trail needs. Toss in a small desiccant pack from computer parts packaging for extra insurance.

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5624

As for TX/RX I am partial to the Futaba T-3PV. Lots of adjustments, easy to use, supports 10 models.  

If you need one ridiculously cheap, a factory take-off such as an Axial Tactic from ebay will run $30-60.

Thanks for the information - didn't realize receivers aren't typically waterproof and instead they're put into waterproof (or I should say water resistant) boxes.  Good to know - I'll check out the Traxxas box you've mentioned.

As for the Futaba recommendation, I've always been a fan of Futaba products.  And normally they're my go-to brand for electronics.  But I also know that a lot of folks talk about brands like FlySky and Turnity and a few others that are extremely reasonably priced in comparison, so I thought maybe one of those brands might be a decent TX/RX substitute.

Sanwa make some waterproof receivers and their radios are top notch. Don't really fit the 'don't want to break the bank' bit though.

If you want to go full waterproof you can swap the ESC for a waterproof one too, and Savox make waterproof servos, so you can run completely waterproof electronics. I think Hobbywing do some waterproof brushed ESC, it may even be the 1060

Radiolink and Flysky are the two brands that will not break the bank... both offers the adjustability and features of higher end radio gear, but the ergonomics and feel may not be as great as higher end brands... And their receivers are relatively affordable... 

i opted to get the RC6GS just because im already accustomed to the the earlier radio they released, but I also considered the Flysky GT5. In the end. It was the price and extra features that got me sold on the Radiolink... 

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Sanwa make some waterproof receivers and their radios are top notch. Don't really fit the 'don't want to break the bank' bit though.

If you want to go full waterproof you can swap the ESC for a waterproof one too, and Savox make waterproof servos, so you can run completely waterproof electronics. I think Hobbywing do some waterproof brushed ESC, it may even be the 1060

It's funny you mention Savox because I plan to use a Savox SW-0231MG servo in this build.  I've never used a Savox servo before but from everything I've read and seen, they make some really nice stuff, and I like that it's not only waterproof but also rebuildable.

But now you've got me thinking about a waterproof ESC too.  I didn't realize the Tamiya kit provided unit wasn't waterproof...the rabbit hole just continues to get deeper.

2 hours ago, burakol said:

Radiolink and Flysky are the two brands that will not break the bank... both offers the adjustability and features of higher end radio gear, but the ergonomics and feel may not be as great as higher end brands... And their receivers are relatively affordable... 

i opted to get the RC6GS just because im already accustomed to the the earlier radio they released, but I also considered the Flysky GT5. In the end. It was the price and extra features that got me sold on the Radiolink... 

I'll definitely check out both the RC6GS and the GT5.  I've heard both units mentioned on various RC forums and by some big-name YouTubers.  Thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, RCRLMichael said:

It's funny you mention Savox because I plan to use a Savox SW-0231MG servo in this build.  I've never used a Savox servo before but from everything I've read and seen, they make some really nice stuff, and I like that it's not only waterproof but also rebuildable.

But now you've got me thinking about a waterproof ESC too.  I didn't realize the Tamiya kit provided unit wasn't waterproof...the rabbit hole just continues to get deeper.

I have a lot of Savox servos, they are my go to when I want a decent servo that will last. I'm not so worried about most of my cars, if a servo breaks it's not the end of the world, but nothing worse than broken gear ruining a race day.  I have a 0231 in my yacht as a sail servo too, although that hasn't seen the water yet.

If you do look at Sanwa transmitters check out the MTS, they are the mod range offering and really nice units. The MX6 is cheaper but uses different receivers to the rest of the range so are more limited

Savox is one of the biggest names in the servo market currently.  Good choice. 

The 0231 is a excellent servo - cost-effective, standard voltage, reasonable torque, waterproof, rebuildable, but about 0.8mm larger than most other servos.  Measure the hole it's going to be mounted in to assure it will fit.

https://www.savoxusa.com/products/savsw0231mg-waterproof-std-digital

The Axial AE-5 is a good waterproof ESC with LiPO and NiMH capability, adjustable dragbrake and great low speed control.

RCRLMichael -  

What motor are you using?

What batteries are you using?

Where are you located? I have a spare LRP AI Runner waterproof ESC I pulled from my CC-01 years ago.  If you are in the ConUS, you can have it for $5+shipping.

14 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Savox is one of the biggest names in the servo market currently.  Good choice. 

The 0231 is a excellent servo - cost-effective, standard voltage, reasonable torque, waterproof, rebuildable, but about 0.8mm larger than most other servos.  Measure the hole it's going to be mounted in to assure it will fit.

https://www.savoxusa.com/products/savsw0231mg-waterproof-std-digital

The Axial AE-5 is a good waterproof ESC with LiPO and NiMH capability, adjustable dragbrake and great low speed control.

RCRLMichael -  

What motor are you using?

What batteries are you using?

Where are you located? I have a spare LRP AI Runner waterproof ESC I pulled from my CC-01 years ago.  If you are in the ConUS, you can have it for $5+shipping.

Thanks for the tip about the SAVOX servo's size.  I've seen other's mention that it is a tiny bit larger than a standard servo, but I've also seen it installed on several other CC-01 chassis and it looks to fit without issues.  And given that it's a CC-01 chassis, I'm not too concerned about fitment - it looks to have a fair bit of space.  Had it been one of the smaller 4wd on-road chassis or even a buggy chassis I might have been a bit concerned.  But I'm confident it'll be ok in the CC-01 without modifications or issues.

As for which motor I'll be running, for the time being I was going to simply run the stock silver can that comes in the kit.  I'd eventually like to step up to a nice 55T or 60T brushed motor, maybe one of the RC4WD brushed offerings...?  I've heard good things about their motors, but I'm extremely new to crawlers so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As for battery, I have a relatively brand new 5000mAh Venom NiMH 6-cell 7.2v pack that I was going to use in a TL-01 car, but it doesn't fit.  I was thinking to maybe use that pack in the CC-01 if it fits.  If it doesn't fit then I may go with one of Venom's 3000mAh units.  I have virtually zero experience with LiPos, and while I know the entire hobby has basically moved to LiPos by this point, I was just going to keep things simple with this build.  But again, any suggestions in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

As for my location, I live just outside of Detroit in Troy, Michigan.  I'm intrigued about the LRP AI Runner ESC.  Other than being waterproof, how does it compare to the stock Tamiya ESC included with the CC-01 kit (the specific kit I have is the Land Rover Defender 90 variant).  Send me a PM here on the forum if you'd like.

If I still had a CC-01, I'd be running the same as you.  I prefer NiMH batteries.

The stock motor is 27t.   A 55-60t will drastically slow it down and extend run times.  It's not geared low enough to be a "crawler", but it will be a fun trail truck.  If you want to be able to creep with a great deal of control, I suggest the Axial AE-5 ESC, RC4wd gear reduction unit, and a super stubby motor.

The stock ESC and the LRP I have are good for trail runners and bashers, but don't offer smooth operation at low RPM.  I don't think you would be happy with the LRP.

Here's some reasonable deals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-Tactic-TTX300-3-Channel-2-4ghz-Radio-Transmitter-TR325-3ch-Receiver-TX-RX/142105694707?epid=2238939915&hash=item211628d1f3:g:ZwUAAOSw5cNYh8n1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamite-DYNS2212-ESC-w-Drag-Brake-Axial-SMT10-Cherokee-Bomber-Same-as-AE-5/123795910986?epid=10035000567&hash=item1cd2cfb14a:g:YgwAAOSwRaRc-5Wu

1 hour ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

If I still had a CC-01, I'd be running the same as you.  I prefer NiMH batteries.

The stock motor is 27t.   A 55-60t will drastically slow it down and extend run times.  It's not geared low enough to be a "crawler", but it will be a fun trail truck.  If you want to be able to creep with a great deal of control, I suggest the Axial AE-5 ESC, RC4wd gear reduction unit, and a super stubby motor.

The stock ESC and the LRP I have are good for trail runners and bashers, but don't offer smooth operation at low RPM.  I don't think you would be happy with the LRP.

Here's some reasonable deals:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-Tactic-TTX300-3-Channel-2-4ghz-Radio-Transmitter-TR325-3ch-Receiver-TX-RX/142105694707?epid=2238939915&hash=item211628d1f3:g:ZwUAAOSw5cNYh8n1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamite-DYNS2212-ESC-w-Drag-Brake-Axial-SMT10-Cherokee-Bomber-Same-as-AE-5/123795910986?epid=10035000567&hash=item1cd2cfb14a:g:YgwAAOSwRaRc-5Wu

You raise an interesting point about the CC-01 not being geared low enough to be a "crawler".  I'm wondering if maybe I should consider something like an 80T brushed motor instead of a 55T or 60T?  It's not like the prices are very different from one to the other, but I'm sure the capabilities / driving realism is quite different.

Thant's a common question amongst CC-01 owners.  A 55-60t motor seems to be the middle ground, depending on the type of terrain you run the truck.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/387418-cc01-way-way-way-too-fast.html

https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76068&page=3

There's a few ways to go about it; just use high turn motor, gear reduction and trim the chassis to fit the stock can, gear reduction and short can motor as bolt on option.

33 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Thant's a common question amongst CC-01 owners.  A 55-60t motor seems to be the middle ground, depending on the type of terrain you run the truck.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/387418-cc01-way-way-way-too-fast.html

https://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76068&page=3

There's a few ways to go about it; just use high turn motor, gear reduction and trim the chassis to fit the stock can, gear reduction and short can motor as bolt on option.

I've read through a fair bit of those posts.  Using a GRU - either HPI or RC4WD - seems a common theme, with many pairing it with a high-turn motor (65T, 80T, 85T, etc...).  Personally I'd like to try and try and do all I can to drop the speed without having to resort to a GRU.  Most GRUs require cutting the chassis to get them to fit, and cutting up a brand new CC-01 doesn't sit well with me... at least for the time being.

But the good news is I just pulled the trigger on a SAVOX SW-0231MG servo and an RC4WD 80T brushed motor.  Found both on Amazon - $39 for the servo and $13 for the motor, Prime shipping so they should both be here before the end of the week.  I'm sure the servo will be ideal for this application; for the cost, I'm sure the 80T motor will at least prove a learning experience (if not entertaining) if I decide it's not what I'm looking for.