Sign in to follow this  
Fabia130vRS

Tamiya FF03 swap from IFS suspension?

Hi, my question would be, how could get I away from the IFS suspension for the FF03?

do I need a specific shock tower or a custome made one?

I know tamiya does jot offer such a build possibility but I have seen somewhere such a mod.

• Like 1

How similar is the XV01 bulkhead? In the manuals it looks similar, but I can't compare (yet).

The other issue is clearance, I know @ThunderDragonCy has a great thread on his 4GR conversion, this showed just how little space there is for clearance between steering tie-rod, suspension push-rod and upper link. Would a traditional damper body even fit in place of the suspension push-rod? Looks tight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Hi, my question would be, how could get I away from the IFS suspension for the FF03?

do I need a specific shock tower or a custome made one?

I know tamiya does jot offer such a build possibility but I have seen somewhere such a mod.

It's a custom part. I think there's a 3D printed one out there, but it's not strong enough in basic 3D resins. It's on Thingiverse.https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2885182

Best solution I saw was WTCCs towers off his original FF03 conversion:

imageuule7.jpeg

Custom part, and you would need to adapt the idea to clear the front body posts, this looks like it would work.

Not sure there's much point. The IFS works great IMO.

• Like 1

The XV-01 is closer to the FF-04 because their gearbox are very similar and uses many of the same parts. The FF-03 will need/require you custom parts like this to achieve a vertical damper set up like this...

ffevo14-front.jpg

ff0315-side.jpg

But if it were me, I would still remain with the IFS. It's a brilliant design (push-rod system) found in F1 cars, Le Mans GT1 cars and modern hyper/super cars such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, Pagani, and the likes.