KEV THE REV

So I got naked - brushless that is !!

After some deliberation and talking to JJ re the ORV strengtheners and wanting to crawl out of my cave and evolve RC wise , I finally got a Goolrc brushless motor and ESC and lobbed it into one of my LB runners which did have a 15t Firebolt motor in it . I was happy with the Firebolt until this B/L motor went in and the world was a different place . The increased power from a mere 3800 NiMh pack was vast . I bought a new charger some time ago which has Li-Po capability - and convinced myself I wouldn't need the Li-Po facility ( yeah right ) , so , some time in the future I will be Li-Po'd up as I believe it will give increased power ? and extended run time ? am I right ?

• Like 1

Hi Kev,

when you ever tasted a nice brushless combo with a Lipo power, you´ll be convinced. Not that brushed and NimH is bad, but you can solve temperature problems in some models with a cooler running brushless motor, the power will be quite constant over the runtime, and you can of course gain runtime and reliability, as you will have no wear of brushes.

Many People choose crazy turn motors for models, just for the kick to literally make it fly. But if you e.g. love your old Sand Scorcher, put a nice 17,5t Brushless Motor in it with a small 2 S Lipo, and you will end up being a confident man. Brushless and Lipo doesn´t need to be way overpowered or expensive.

Even with the TBLE02 std. ESC that Tamiya supplies with many kits today, you can have a nice Power Setup. It is smooth, especially in Brushless mode and cheap. Get a second mand sensored Motor from the bay from a Quality brand as e.g. Speed Passion was, and you can get away very cheap with reliable power over many years...

Could talk the whole night. (But of course I have some models with "brushed motors and ESC´s, too, for history)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Thanks for the info and back up .

Next step Li-Po - the dark art ;)

Can be cheap, too: We have some spec. classes that use a Zippy Flightmax 4000mAh, we get it for 20€. It´s bang for the buck. And if one should die, it´s only 20€.

But over the years even with Kids using them we only had one firing up, but that was because someone used the wrong charging method on an old charger, that could not detect battery type itself… (must be 7 years ago…)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Why not! If space does matter, this is some small Thing for e.g. a Sand Scorcher instead of the expensive Tamiya Lifepo. But Keep in mind, this is a "soft pack" without a hard case around. Should be covered in foam or safely fixed in the model you use it. I used a similar flight pack from LRP 2010 in my Rere scorcher. Meanwhile I invested in some bigger hardcase "shorty" Lipos, which I can use in some other of my models, too.

• Thanks 1

So if I used this in an LB in battery slot , how much padding would it need ? , or could I strap it to the old position on the top rear shelf ?

15 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

So if I used this in an LB in battery slot , how much padding would it need ? , or could I strap it to the old position on the top rear shelf ?

In the Lunchbox shelf mechanical damage is probably less a risk. Guess some foam tape would be enough for my liking.;)

• Thanks 1