Jay77

Stuttering Lunchie

Hello all,

So, I finally got my Lunchie running with a GoolRC motor and ESC, but I’m having trouble with the stutter.

It does eventually go, but the delay between forward and reverse is taking the fun out of driving it.

Video below...  Any advice?  

Jay 

Back in the day (christ I sound old..) you'd get that sort of stutter with radio interference, sometimes low battery in the transmitter etc. Have you run this transmitter/receiver with another ESC and found it to be ok ?

Does the ESC have a throttle alignment in setup you could try ?

I was thinking of getting a goolrc set, but this sort of thing and the picture of a very similar unit that caught fire is kind of putting me off..

Aisde from all that tell us more about the lights setup you've got ther, they look pretty good ?

Thats a sensorless setup isn't it?  It looks like cogging, but thats the worst I've ever seen.  Sensorless can often have a little delay which behaves like that but that to me looks faulty as its taking too long to get going.  

It appears that the ESC is getting signal as its trying to move too so unlikely to be the rx or tx, and it isn't behaving like a flat battery.

Have you had that setup in any other cars or is this new?

Yep certainly looks like cogging, you could try hard wiring the esc and motor to remove any resistance in the plugs

I've just fitted a 3650 60A Gool motor and ESC into a Lunchie , and it is sharp off the mark even with a NiMh battery and responds well to foreward , reverse  , brake etc . It is much faster than the 15T motor I took out of it . I hope you get yours sorted

P7070006.JPG

Have you tried swapping 2 of the ESC to motor wires around?

Have you calibrated the esc ?

Also what battery are you using. If you're using a Nimh or Ni-cad pack then it might not be able to supply the amperage needed on startup

Sounds like a bad sensor wire to me...or....no sensor wire

I would also guess that it is cogging. I would also check your wiring too as a little cogging at low speed is to be expected with sensorless - but as others have said, that is way more than normal. I had a similar issue with a different sensorless setup and it was where my dodgy soldering had let me down. Basically I had only soldered half of the motor wire onto the connector connecting it to the ESC. Resoldered and worked fine after. Just a thought.

Looks a bit extreme.

Was that light throttle, or straight to full?

This was the only time I've managed to catch my 4300kv Goolrc cogging. Running 3s, straight to full throttle.

Seems like cogging but I've never seen anything that bad from such a combo, especially with the short gearing of the lunchbox. If I had to guess, I would say either there is a hardware problem or a bad connection somewhere along the way. Even when I run a tiny 380 size motor in my Lunchbox it only really cogs if I try to make a creeping start uphill or something, otherwise it's very responsive. A full fat 540 brushless should have no problems shifting this even without a sensor.

The only time I've seen stuttering that bad was a loose motor connection but then the motor wouldn't run at all, it just stuttered until the connection was properly soldered.

• Like 1