Bastiaan

Astute project

15 hours ago, GTodd said:

This is a GREAT ball differential whose weakness is heavily over stated. It does very well in the Astute!

It looks and feels pretty sturdy indeed!

• Like 1

Had some good times today with the Astute! Unfortunately the video has no sound (dont know why) but I love the sound this car makes!

qRJ8pKS.mp4

zjHxV8c.jpg

qxEo1uA.jpg

Now its time for some dusting, cleaning and restoring. Looking forward!

• Like 3

This little package came in today. A total of 56 bearings 🙂 Necessary? Not really I guess. But just because it’s possible!

QiLkFVW.jpg

The restoration has finally begun! I am going to replace the original shell with a new Super Astute one. I cut it along the right lines, And made sure it fits the chassis. But it is a VERY tight fit! I really have to bend the body, especially at the front. Is this normal for the (Super) Astute?

3Q422Vw.jpg

jsuugtI.jpg

Making some progress! All the bushes have been replaced with sealed bearings. Unfortunately, these did not fit in the aluminium Jazzrider C-hubs (both front and rear). The bushings also do not fit. Might contact them about this. For the price, you would expect a perfect fit. So now The Jazzrider uprights are used with the original plastic C-hubs. Both with bearings. 

SD29C2g.jpg

cpCrz4e.jpg

UlVGUlK.jpg

Hq2GbgN.jpg

GQzkehD.jpg

9qbEizi.jpg

• Like 1

I love the way they went to the trouble of having bearings in the suspension pivots but just provided some threaded rod for the upper arms rather than a turnbuckle. So weird! 

Any chance you can tell me the OD of the rear body post mounts so I can make the correct size hole in a body I'm doing?

Oh, man that's odd. My jazrider hubs fit with my bearings , I'd call them.

• Confused 1

Nice job! Mine was all nice and.clean. But now it's a runner again! 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

Oh, man that's odd. My jazrider hubs fit with my bearings , I'd call them.

I also ordered the Jazrider parts for my future Astute Resto, seems I have to check the tolerances on the parts...:huh:

8 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

I also ordered the Jazrider parts for my future Astute Resto, seems I have to check the tolerances on the parts...:huh:

I'm super thankful they are out, Jazrider is the only way to get Astute Specific parts now.  The Jazrider parts are so good Im able to alow my son to race me against our RC10 at the local tracks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your pictures are drool worthy, looks like you have a the mods to make it a runner again! How's the gear box holding up?  I want to tackle modifying the 2013 Egress Ball differential's external dimensions in order to keep the ball differential. I haven't done that yet. I'm currently running the Rere Super Astute Gear Box in my with differential putty. Works pretty darn well!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 5:39 PM, GTodd said:

Your pictures are drool worthy, looks like you have a the mods to make it a runner again! How's the gear box holding up?  I want to tackle modifying the 2013 Egress Ball differential's external dimensions in order to keep the ball differential. I haven't done that yet. I'm currently running the Rere Super Astute Gear Box in my with differential putty. Works pretty darn well!

Thanks GTodd! Gear box so far is holding up very good, but I only did some running on a flat surface with a Sport Tuned. I don't know how the Technigold will do, but I am not planning to give this car a hard life and will only do some modest running. Please let me know the progress with the Egress diff!

8 hours ago, Bastiaan said:

Thanks GTodd! Gear box so far is holding up very good, but I only did some running on a flat surface with a Sport Tuned. I don't know how the Technigold will do, but I am not planning to give this car a hard life and will only do some modest running. Please let me know the progress with the Egress diff!

Run it hard man!!!! You must, it wants it, you want it, do it!!!! :)

• Haha 2