Bastiaan

Astute project

Hi all!

I found an Astute not long ago and am going to restore it. Pretty much all the parts I need are already delivered.

Here she is:

4p1dz2G.jpg

DumgSu6.jpg

uhWE1zZ.jpg

Front bulkhead broken...

PIhSH9b.jpg

Solved this way, back in the day:

r9dwwNY.jpg

I'm going to mount the Super Astute bulkhead. 

There are some non original screws used.

aQ0TqpY.jpg

SyKKJC3.jpg

• Like 3

But before starting stripping, cleaning and rebuilding I decided to install some vintage electrics and take this oldie out for some fun!

RV5cgYz.jpg

6g0L4s4.jpg

But oh no, because there were no electrics installed, I had to search my spare parts. Came a long way but I do not have a crank rod!

Ph9CRJk.jpg

So if there is someone with a spare crank rod (34 mm it says in the manual) I am interested! I looked on eBay but prices are pretty high...

Like your astute. Are you planning to do a full restore or a restore with some sympathetic modern mods/hop-ups? Runner or shelfer? 

If it were me, I might not run it first off with old electrics due to potential failure/glitches ending up with a pile of broken bits (ask me how I know 😁). Have you got any spare/swappable modern electrics you could put in, just to give it a victory lap before doing the strip down/rebuild and then maybe put period electrics in for gentle running? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

Like your astute. Are you planning to do a full restore or a restore with some sympathetic modern mods/hop-ups? Runner or shelfer? 

If it were me, I might not run it first off with old electrics due to potential failure/glitches ending up with a pile of broken bits (ask me how I know 😁). Have you got any spare/swappable modern electrics you could put in, just to give it a victory lap before doing the strip down/rebuild and then maybe put period electrics in for gentle running? 

Hi, interesting thought! I am planning on doing a full restore and had the idea of installing a Sport Tuned and modern receiver. Both I have. So yeah, might actually use those and then put period electrics in!

I like it! :)  Back in the day the Astute was one of the buggies I used to love. Sadly, I haven't seen another one in ages now...

• Like 1

Nice !

Check the underneath of the rear hubs for cracks.  If they are not cracked, then I would keep it that way by not running it with the original rear hubs.  Super Astute rear hubs are a direct swap and would be favourable for any running whatsoever !

I'm in Oz, (not the one with a wizard) but I'm pretty sure I could find that msc link if you can't find one locally.

• Like 1

Over the past year I rebuilt my childhood Astute, shes a runner now.  Jazrider makes a kit that provides all the parts for the front and rear hubs, great pieces that add durability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Thommo said:

Nice !

Check the underneath of the rear hubs for cracks.  If they are not cracked, then I would keep it that way by not running it with the original rear hubs.  Super Astute rear hubs are a direct swap and would be favourable for any running whatsoever !

I'm in Oz, (not the one with a wizard) but I'm pretty sure I could find that msc link if you can't find one locally.

Thanks Thommo! The rear hubs seem to be in an ok condition and I’m not planning on serious abuse. Just some running on a flat gravel terrain.

I’m interested in the crank rod!

15 hours ago, GTodd said:

Over the past year I rebuilt my childhood Astute, shes a runner now.  Jazrider makes a kit that provides all the parts for the front and rear hubs, great pieces that add durability.

Thanks! Will check those Jazzrider parts although I’m not planning any serious racing. Just some rounds on smooth terrain!

14 minutes ago, Bastiaan said:

Thanks! Will check those Jazzrider parts although I’m not planning any serious racing. Just some rounds on smooth terrain!

I dont race mine anymore either, just makes it bullet proof now. 

On 7/9/2020 at 2:11 AM, Bastiaan said:

Thanks Thommo! The rear hubs seem to be in an ok condition and I’m not planning on serious abuse. Just some running on a flat gravel terrain.

I’m interested in the crank rod!

I'll go digging and report back !  Just on holidays atm so might be a few days before I find it.  Let me know if there is anything else missing, press nuts, screws etc.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:35 AM, Thommo said:

I'll go digging and report back !  Just on holidays atm so might be a few days before I find it.  Let me know if there is anything else missing, press nuts, screws etc.

No rush Thommo, thanks! I am also looking for new uprights, see next post. I don't suppose you have those on supply ;)

• Like 1

Alas, I apparently overlooked that the left upright has a crack. Bummer. 

There is an informative Astute guide by Komtemax. Very helpful. I seem to have the following options:

-Find a new Astute C parts x2. 

-Replace the Astute C-hubs for Madcap C-hubs and the Astute uprights with Super Astute or F104 uprights. But I am wondering: can't I just use Super Astute C-hubs? Why the Madcap hubs? 

-Buy the Jazzrider aluminium set. Right now I prefer this, since this seems to be the best way to avoid any hassle with upper arms etc. 

Suggestions are very welcome!

5wL1SBm.jpg

Jazrider is the way to go. You get aluminum front and rear hubs and associated hardware, super strong, and will allow you to hit the track if needed. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2020 at 1:24 AM, GTodd said:

Jazrider is the way to go. You get aluminum front and rear hubs and associated hardware, super strong, and will allow you to hit the track if needed. 

Check!

009B4CAB-EC3D-433E-835A-B8EC074DF99A.jpeg

• Like 2

Well played sir!!!!! Due to those parts and the Rere Super Astute Transmission my childhood Astute is a runner again!

• Like 2

....ps just becareful I stripped out one of the hubs on my first set, use loctite, once the screw stops it's done.

On 7/24/2020 at 4:33 PM, GTodd said:

....ps just becareful I stripped out one of the hubs on my first set, use loctite, once the screw stops it's done.

And are you using the plastic bushings, or the original brass ones? I am considering installing ball bearings. Just because I can 🙂

With the arrival of the aluminium parts, everything is ready to start restoring the Astute! At least I hope so, you never know what you find while stripping the car...

All parts needed are here:

PwnpXst.jpg?1

uQvMmmu.jpg?1

But before stripping and cleaning, I want to have some fun with this car. Replaced the original plastic hubs for aluminium. 

mZui4BC.jpg

QlkHI2I.jpg

cYWxPTa.jpg

The aluminium parts fit great and as for looks, you hardly see the difference between their plastic counterparts. I only hope that I can remove the bushings eventually, those are a really tight fit. I want to replace them for ball bearings. 

I was planning  to run the car with vintage electronics but some parts were missing. So I removed the vintage stuff and installed modern electronics (TBLE-02, Spektrum AR600). Also used some old Bear Hawk wheels & tires to preserve the Astute ones. 

G5rYX08.jpg

Did a small test on the carpet in the living room. It runs! But needs some adjustment of the diff (it is very slippery). Will have to look into that. 

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 2:35 AM, Bastiaan said:

No rush Thommo, thanks! I am also looking for new uprights, see next post. I don't suppose you have those on supply ;)

Great progress.... I'm back so I will go digging for MSC parts and let me know if you need anything else.

• Thanks 1

Because of slipping when giving throttle, I disassembled the diff. Seems like two spacers are missing (red in the picture below). However, I tightened the screws that hold the diff together, they seemed a bit loose when I took out the diff, and re-assembled. Runs great now! Did a short run in the street, this thing flies. Even on a Sport Tuned.

Hem0Moz.jpg

The manual says that spacers can be added as preferred. Can someone tell me what the effect is of adding more or less spacers?

They are shims to tension it.  One shim each side is enough but if it's handling power without slipping that's good !  

The correct ball diff grease is a must ! 

• Like 1

This is a GREAT ball differential whose weakness is heavily over stated. It does very well in the Astute!