Sign in to follow this  
Newsh

Pumpkin alternate door decals

I was looking at the original MP decal sheet and I noticed that it used to come with an alternate set of door decals, and as soon as I saw it the fog faded and I can recall seeing that design on some classic Pumpkins back in the day, in fact I think one of the catalogs might have had a picture with the alternate door sticker? Could have been a Beatties catalog...

The original Midnight Pumpkin box art has the normal oval decal on the doors, which sadly is the only one that comes with the rere now, so I was wondering was the alternate door decal ever shown on the box art, perhaps on some early versions?

I much prefer the alternate decal to the oval, and it got me wondering about it 

• Like 1

I can't remember the alternate door art showing up in any official Tamiya photos, but that's not to say it didn't. A line drawing (no color) of the alternate art usually appeared in the corner of the guidebook entries like the '91 version for example. It also shows up on the front cover of the original manual along with a line drawing of the actual truck, both above the large action photo on the cover. IIRC, that line drawing of the truck also shows up in the '88 Catalog (not guidebook) under the description section which normally featured small black and white boxart pics. I guess the boxart wasn't finished in time for the '88 catalog. 

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure the alternative decals were shown on the box side with the optional colour schemes.

The decal sheet with the alternative Cindy door graphic is available from MCI racing

FC5DD960-1C31-4B83-A649-4A816E90237E.jpeg

• Like 4

I always liked the alternate art. It has a more "Vanessa LB vibe" too it with the depiction of Cindy.

Thank you! I think thats it - it was likely the side of the box were I saw it, and not only that the shop i used to frequent as a youngster had all the kits stacked on shelves, so it was often the side of the box you can see. It was tiny so it was an Aladdin's cave of Tamiya things i couldn't afford

@Saito2 Agree with you on the alternate art, I'll be ordering a set from MCI for my Pumpkin

• Like 1

I always love an opportunity to mention how I wish I'd never sold my custom Pumpkin, which happened to have the alternate door decals on it :) 

File_000 (5) IMG_0502

*sigh - wish I'd never sold it.....

• Like 4

On 7/8/2020 at 12:26 PM, Newsh said:

Thank you! I think thats it - it was likely the side of the box were I saw it, and not only that the shop i used to frequent as a youngster had all the kits stacked on shelves, so it was often the side of the box you can see. It was tiny so it was an Aladdin's cave of Tamiya things i couldn't afford

@Saito2 Agree with you on the alternate art, I'll be ordering a set from MCI for my Pumpkin

A pair of stickers has just turned up on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Midnight-Pumpkin-Unused-Rare-Genuine-Vintage-1987-Side-Door-Sticker-decal/233645766839?hash=item36665f78b7:g:c0YAAOSwH9BfCKdW

• Like 1