Jonathon Gillham

Lunchbox questions

I have just ordered a Lunchbox (black edition, can't get a normal one atm, stupid covid, at least I can go to the pub I guess) and while I have no plans to modify this at all to make it anything other than a Lunchbox, I will fit bearings and probably CVAs,.

Bearings - 9 x 1150 and 1 x 850? Just been through the manual and thats all I can see. Did I miss any?

What size oil shocks? I have shocks from a Super Astute and Top Force - will any of these fit? I get confused by mini, short etc as the names don't seem to match the actual lengths. If these don't fit then I will just use the kit friction shocks for now and worry about an upgrade later.

• Like 2

I have a black edition. Bonus is you don't need to paint it for it to look good hehe.

You're correct on the bearings. I got a set from Fast Eddie and those are the sizes listed.

Rear shocks at 90mm and fronts at 75mm should be about right.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I have a black edition. Bonus is you don't need to paint it for it to look good hehe.

You're correct on the bearings. I got a set from Fast Eddie and those are the sizes listed.

Rear shocks at 90mm and fronts at 75mm should be about right.

Perfect thank you. Pretty sure the shocks i have can be built to those lengths

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I get confused by mini, short etc as the names don't seem to match the actual lengths.

A bit of a tangent here but the four general CVA shock sizes are : super mini, mini, short and long. The first CVAs came out on the Fox. They also came out in the Hot Shot HP suspension set and the Super Shot that followed the Fox. There were two sizes, so the Fox used short all around and the SS used short up front and long in the rear. Then Tamiya made a shorter shock but had kinda boxed themselves in with the now pre-existing "short" and "long" terminology so they gave it the name "mini". An even shorter shock became the "super mini" down the road. The Lunch Box uses 4 "short" shocks in Tamiya's lingo. The long variant is not actually used too much, showing up on the rear of a few buggies like the SS, Boomerang and Bigwig, all corners of the King Cab/MR and as an option for the Clod Buster.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

A bit of a tangent here but the four general CVA shock sizes are : super mini, mini, short and long. The first CVAs came out on the Fox. They also came out in the Hot Shot HP suspension set and the Super Shot that followed the Fox. There were two sizes, so the Fox used short all around and the SS used short up front and long in the rear. Then Tamiya made a shorter shock but had kinda boxed themselves in with the now pre-existing "short" and "long" terminology so they gave it the name "mini". An even shorter shock became the "super mini" down the road. The Lunch Box uses 4 "short" shocks in Tamiya's lingo. The long variant is not actually used too much, showing up on the rear of a few buggies like the SS, Boomerang and Bigwig, all corners of the King Cab/MR and as an option for the Clod Buster.

This is great info thanks. So does that mean the Top Force CVAs in the kit will fit?

• Like 1

All 4 shocks (yellow CVAs) on my pumpkin are 85mm eye to eye. Can't be sure but I think this may be the official upgrade set.

You need 2 U shaped brackets for the front top mount when fitting them, they're exactly the same as the back ones - these things

9805082ms.jpg

• Like 4

80-85mm is the length you want to build them to. Get the Ampro brace as the gearbox springs will snap eventually (sooner than later).

I know you love racing, so dont expect any sort of handling, and don't go out of your way to try and make it something it isn't. If you can overlook the poor handling and lack of steering, it is actually a very fun rc to try and keep on its wheels.

Get some alloy body mounts too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

All 4 shocks (yellow CVAs) on my pumpkin are 85mm eye to eye. Can't be sure but I think this may be the official upgrade set.

You need 2 U shaped brackets for the front top mount when fitting them, they're exactly the same as the back ones - these things

9805082ms.jpg

Thanks. The manual suggests that thess are included?

In the hop up kit, I think so yes, I took it from the above you were re-using old shocks or buying them loose, hence mentioning it - nothing more annoying than setting out to do a job to find you need other bits!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

They are.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, berman said:

80-85mm is the length you want to build them to. Get the Ampro brace as the gearbox springs will snap eventually (sooner than later).

I know you love racing, so dont expect any sort of handling, and don't go out of your way to try and make it something it isn't. If you can overlook the poor handling and lack of steering, it is actually a very fun rc to try and keep on its wheels.

Get some alloy body mounts too.

Thank you.  This purchase is purely for my son to build it so no expectations at all. I expect it to be fun and silly to run, most likely with the Monster Beetle 

This will sound weird to most people but a friend asked what I wanted for my 40th, knowing I like Tamiyas. No limits, could've had a TRF420, I chose the Lunchbox because I want my son to build it. The best birthday present ever, my son appreciating it

• Like 11

Its bonkers compared to a MB. 

Wise choice, I think I know where you got it from too. I was looking at one too, my lhs has a black ed as well, and a ww2, tempting as I want my kids to have their own tamiya.

• Like 1

Thats pretty cool Jonathan, hope you and he have fun with it!

If you want to do the gearbox brace (I think its worth it) there is an .stl file on thingiverse if you know someone with a 3d printer or can get one printed. The only warning is that there is an error in the file and the slicer software tries to print it as two bits, when I've had them printed before the printer has fixed the issue and printed them just fine.. Of course you can order form shapeways, but the post ot the UK is expensive and I assume would be to NZ too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, berman said:

Its bonkers compared to a MB. 

Wise choice, I think I know where you got it from too. I was looking at one too, my lhs has a black ed as well, and a ww2, tempting as I want my kids to have their own tamiya.

I got it from Hobbystation, not much more to a Monster Beetle. Know what you mean...

3 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

Thats pretty cool Jonathan, hope you and he have fun with it!

If you want to do the gearbox brace (I think its worth it) there is an .stl file on thingiverse if you know someone with a 3d printer or can get one printed. The only warning is that there is an error in the file and the slicer software tries to print it as two bits, when I've had them printed before the printer has fixed the issue and printed them just fine.. Of course you can order form shapeways, but the post ot the UK is expensive and I assume would be to NZ too.

Thanks for that. Will see how we go

9 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I got it from Hobbystation, not much more to a Monster Beetle. Know what you mean...

Oh ok no, I though maybe the redline performance one 👍

6 minutes ago, berman said:

Oh ok no, I though maybe the redline performance one 👍

Interesting,  i saw that one but know nothing about them so went with hobbystation. Are they legit?

You may also want to consider some upgraded steering tie rods. My boys were constantly bending the stock ones. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, berman said:

Poor handling and lack of steering.

Probably the polar opposite to what you are used too 😂 and berman is right the lack of handling is why you buy one in the 1st place 👍

• Like 1

How ever, with or without upgrades it is fun to drive. I really enjoyed it, it is like you need to upgrade it to get the real Lunchbox experience.

cva shocks, fifth damper or brace, alu body mounts, inner sponge for wheels, front moulding support, grasshoper pinion... did I mention I did run mine od 3s. What a beast it was.

every upgrade is like going through history, I hope your kid will upgrade the lunchbox step by step, as to me this is a real experience.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

So does that mean the Top Force CVAs in the kit will fit?

Physically yes, as the shock bodies are of the "short" variety. I'm not sure the steel fixed head pistons found on the stock Top Force dampers would provide the correct dampening for the Lunch Box though. The Lunchie needs light dampening, particularly the rear axle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

they come in the kit for the "normal" lunchbox

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 10:16 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

Interesting,  i saw that one but know nothing about them so went with hobbystation. Are they legit?

Yes have bought from Redline before, cheap and good service. Think they are a 1:1 car shop that does rc on the side 👍

On 7/9/2020 at 6:32 AM, Grumpy pants said:

Probably the polar opposite to what you are used too 😂 and berman is right the lack of handling is why you buy one in the 1st place 👍

Haha and that's what makes them so much fun! If the van's a rockin...😄

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 4:55 PM, Jonathon Gillham said:

I have just ordered a Lunchbox 

Wow, never saw that coming, now I need a sit down 😂

As said above no need to paint it, I polished my Blackfoot body with automotive polish before adding the stickers and again after, came up treat. Light scuffs even buff out to.

Enjoy the ‘box and you know your going to need a second one for some proper backyard racing don’t you 😁

1 minute ago, Re-Bugged said:

Wow, never saw that coming, now I need a sit down 😂

As said above no need to paint it, I polished my Blackfoot body with automotive polish before adding the stickers and again after, came up treat. Light scuffs even buff out to.

Enjoy the ‘box and you know your going to need a second one for some proper backyard racing don’t you 😁

Haha I really didn't see it coming either!  Although a couple of months ago I did start a thread about the easiest Tamiya build and Lunchbox did come up in that...

It should be a bit of fun as it sort of matches the Monster Beetle.  That is currently the only monster truck in the fleet and we have matching pairs of other types, like Fox and Boomerang, Top Force and Super Astute, or 2 of the same model to run together.  That makes it even right?

Costs are never-ending though, just had to order another rx for it.  Going to try a Futaba compatible one from Banggood, see how that goes.  Half the price of a real one, and the Das Mikro Sanwa clones seem to work pretty well.

• Like 1