Sign in to follow this  
Juhunio

TT02 Steering Link not straight?

Spent the last couple of days building a white special TT02, generally successfully, but I'm stuck on the link between the servo and the steering bridge

It's not straight at all, the servo horn is anchored further up the chassis than the steering bridge, so the link has to angle forwards to connect. 

Surely it should be straight, with steering bridge aligned with servo horn? Surely? I've been back over the manual a few times so must be missing something obvious..

Help appreciated :huh:

IMG_6281.thumb.jpeg.97e97dd58e029672471d077029395bdf.jpeg

I've built a TT02B and a TT02, and they're both like that stock. Nothing a high-torque steering servo horn won't fix. It tends to stick out of the servo a little further and straightens out that steering link.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I've built a TT02B and a TT02, and they're both like that stock. Nothing a high-torque steering servo horn won't fix. It tends to stick out of the servo a little further and straightens out that steering link.

Cool, thanks, I'll give that a go. It seems very weird that it would be designed that way, even in Tamiyaland :lol:

Use part 6 off of Tamiya 51005 Sp1005 Tt-01 P Parts 4950344510054, it's a tweaked servo to bridge arm for use with a plastic tamiya servo saver. it was included in the TT-02R kit so it is compatible

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Trowa Jakuard said:

Use part 6 off of Tamiya 51005 Sp1005 Tt-01 P Parts 4950344510054, it's a tweaked servo to bridge arm for use with a plastic tamiya servo saver. it was included in the TT-02R kit so it is compatible

s-l500.jpg

Huh, how about that? It’s included with the standard TT02 kit too, I have one!

Wonder why they don’t just include it in the build? 

Top tip, cheers!

888A36CA-61F2-4A3C-ACBC-8537E407F182.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The angled steering pushrod is not a design fault. The pushrod has ball fittings at each end which allow it to work at an angle without issue. You'll see the same angled design used on many chassis of all levels. See the below TRF419 for example:

trf419xr_b25.jpg?w=604

There is no advantage that I am aware of to swapping the straight link for the kinked one. The kinked one fits with stepped screws which have more slop than the ball fittings, and whether straight or kinked, the forces exerted on the servo and steering rack are the same.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2020 at 4:06 PM, TurnipJF said:

The angled steering pushrod is not a design fault. The pushrod has ball fittings at each end which allow it to work at an angle without issue. You'll see the same angled design used on many chassis of all levels. See the below TRF419 for example:

trf419xr_b25.jpg?w=604

There is no advantage that I am aware of to swapping the straight link for the kinked one. The kinked one fits with stepped screws which have more slop than the ball fittings, and whether straight or kinked, the forces exerted on the servo and steering rack are the same.

That's really useful, thank you! It makes sense that it doesn't have a mechanical impact, but just looks odd aesthetically