Sign in to follow this  
Orrgry

Wild Willy Replacements Parts

Hello All,

First to say i am new to this forum and new to rc portion, i have recently gotten my dad preloved Wild Willy Gen 1 which i used to play when i was young and love it back then. Right now i am trying to restore parts of it.

I have already 3d print most of the parts cause most of the plastic start to crack up i guess age caught up with it.

I would like to upgrade to a ESC instead of using a MSC, i saw in other post someone recommended WP1060 or is there other model more suitable for this M38.

Also by upgrading to esc does it mean I need to change my analog servo and controller too as it is using an old fubata and the plugs do not much.

I have also diy some battery pack from old laptop 18650 using battery which seems to be running ok when i tested it, will it be any issue?

Sorry for the many questions post.

Thanks for reading

I run a 1st gen Wild Willy on a cheap ESC I got from Amazon. Can't remember the make and model, but it was less than $20 (USD). Just be sure it is one that can run a brushed motor. I bought a new 6 cell NmH battery, took it apart and turned it into a hump back pack which also worked fine. Just be sure not to get the one I got. I got a 5000 mah, which gave me a very good run time, but I did not keep an eye on the old motor and ran it hot and melted it. Luckily I had a spare motor and replaced it. But, just don't run it but a few minutes and let it cool down. I also don't run my old Wild Willy nearly as hard as I used to. I have had it since 1982, and restored it 3 times over the decades. It is still a good runner. Let's see some pictures of yours. 

20200421_093114.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah, as far as servos, I am still using the old Futaba and Acoms servos. I just replaced the connector on it to work with the newer electronics. I haven't bought a servo in over 30 years. All my cars have old servos in them. They continue to work, so I use them. Just replace the connector to connect them to whatever receiver I am using. 

1060 is a good ESC.  It can handle down to 12 turn motor.  You have a 27 turn, so it should be more than enough. 

You can use an analog servo and old AM/FM receiver.  I actually prefer it for bashers because they use less energy than digital servos.  Of course, if the plugs fit.  If there is a notch, you can shave that.  If the pins don't align, you can reorganize the pins.  

18650 batteries should do fine also.  Chinese brands tend to discharge at around 1A, Japanese and Korean brands discharge up to 3-4 amps.  But the stock M38 motor draws less than 1 amp, so it should be okay for most 18650 batteries.  If you were running a faster motor, I would have recommended getting a LiPo pack, but for M38?  18650 should be fine. 

@Tudorp, how did you manage to change the pinion?  It's stamped on, isn't it?  You've got a SWB.  I haven't run my LWB hard, because tires are in bad condition.  But I should slap on a heatsink just in case. 

I had a spare vintage motor that also had the pinion on it. The pinion is pressed on, but can be pressed off if careful.  Yes, mine is a SWB. The tires on mine right now are very nice reproductions I bought from a seller on ebay. He only had a handful of sets, and are now out of them. I asked if he had planned to ever make anymore, or get anymore where ever he got those, and he never really said if he planned to make any more. When I got them, I was VERY pleased. They are very nice quality, and so close to the original you can not tell with the nakid eye. They are a slightly firmer rubber compound, but still soft like the originals. I am very happy with them. I have a good set of used originals, but they have "slight" checking and not sure they would hold up for any rough use, but good for display.  But I had to buy a lot of lemons to get a good original set. These reproductions I have on it now are the 4th set. I have actually gone through 3 other sets (well actually 2 sets that I actually wore clear out). 

• Thanks 1

If you want to preserve your original, but want some modern fun but still feel that Wild Willy nostalgia, this is how I did that. I took an old original Wild Willy body from and old parts unit, restored it, and mounted it on a GF01 4x4 chassis from the Tamiya "Heavy Dump". Now, THIS thing is a load of fun. It can do the crazy wheelies that the old ones did, it is much more stable and doesn't flip over nearly as easy, and it can also do some fun 4x4 crawling. Since I built this, I have had a lot of fun with it, and it brought me back to 1982 when I built the original. This one, I call "Wild Willy 3.0 Son Of Willy". Lots of fun. I highly recommend this. 

06262020a.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tudorp said:

I run a 1st gen Wild Willy on a cheap ESC I got from Amazon. Can't remember the make and model, but it was less than $20 (USD). Just be sure it is one that can run a brushed motor. I bought a new 6 cell NmH battery, took it apart and turned it into a hump back pack which also worked fine. Just be sure not to get the one I got. I got a 5000 mah, which gave me a very good run time, but I did not keep an eye on the old motor and ran it hot and melted it. Luckily I had a spare motor and replaced it. But, just don't run it but a few minutes and let it cool down. I also don't run my old Wild Willy nearly as hard as I used to. I have had it since 1982, and restored it 3 times over the decades. It is still a good runner. Let's see some pictures of yours. 

20200421_093114.jpg

I tested with 2x 18650 battery so far no issue when running full speed, resistor and motor do not run hot. But when i did a dry run i think its too heavy it doesnt move that fast anymore hahaha, i am guessing the discharge rate for the battery is not enough for the load required. Your wheel still look white!!!! 

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-09 at 11.44.16 AM.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tudorp said:

Oh yeah, as far as servos, I am still using the old Futaba and Acoms servos. I just replaced the connector on it to work with the newer electronics. I haven't bought a servo in over 30 years. All my cars have old servos in them. They continue to work, so I use them. Just replace the connector to connect them to whatever receiver I am using. 

Hmmm as what Juggular say, how did you replace the pins? Cos the new model esc run on 3 pins to the receiver and the old model only run on 2 pins. My servo are acting weird lol, it move by itself when i do not on my remote controller hahahahhaha

10 hours ago, Juggular said:

1060 is a good ESC.  It can handle down to 12 turn motor.  You have a 27 turn, so it should be more than enough. 

You can use an analog servo and old AM/FM receiver.  I actually prefer it for bashers because they use less energy than digital servos.  Of course, if the plugs fit.  If there is a notch, you can shave that.  If the pins don't align, you can reorganize the pins.  

18650 batteries should do fine also.  Chinese brands tend to discharge at around 1A, Japanese and Korean brands discharge up to 3-4 amps.  But the stock M38 motor draws less than 1 amp, so it should be okay for most 18650 batteries.  If you were running a faster motor, I would have recommended getting a LiPo pack, but for M38?  18650 should be fine. 

@Tudorp, how did you manage to change the pinion?  It's stamped on, isn't it?  You've got a SWB.  I haven't run my LWB hard, because tires are in bad condition.  But I should slap on a heatsink just in case. 

I guess i will get the 1060 esc seems like a good choice for replacement as the resistor do get really hot in slow speed. planning to use a analog servo for the turning. But also back to the original question all these run on 3 pins lol, i cant connect it to my old fubata receiver.

I saw some samsung or panasonic 18650 they do have high discharge rate of 20 to 30a, will those be ok?

9 hours ago, Tudorp said:

I had a spare vintage motor that also had the pinion on it. The pinion is pressed on, but can be pressed off if careful.  Yes, mine is a SWB. The tires on mine right now are very nice reproductions I bought from a seller on ebay. He only had a handful of sets, and are now out of them. I asked if he had planned to ever make anymore, or get anymore where ever he got those, and he never really said if he planned to make any more. When I got them, I was VERY pleased. They are very nice quality, and so close to the original you can not tell with the nakid eye. They are a slightly firmer rubber compound, but still soft like the originals. I am very happy with them. I have a good set of used originals, but they have "slight" checking and not sure they would hold up for any rough use, but good for display.  But I had to buy a lot of lemons to get a good original set. These reproductions I have on it now are the 4th set. I have actually gone through 3 other sets (well actually 2 sets that I actually wore clear out). 

I actually saw a 3d printed material rubber like, i guess you replicate it if you have the proper material base. I will try it :) to get the material and do a test print if it works 

9 hours ago, Tudorp said:

If you want to preserve your original, but want some modern fun but still feel that Wild Willy nostalgia, this is how I did that. I took an old original Wild Willy body from and old parts unit, restored it, and mounted it on a GF01 4x4 chassis from the Tamiya "Heavy Dump". Now, THIS thing is a load of fun. It can do the crazy wheelies that the old ones did, it is much more stable and doesn't flip over nearly as easy, and it can also do some fun 4x4 crawling. Since I built this, I have had a lot of fun with it, and it brought me back to 1982 when I built the original. This one, I call "Wild Willy 3.0 Son Of Willy". Lots of fun. I highly recommend this. 

06262020a.jpg

Sad to say i only have just his 1 model hahahah thats it lol. almost all my parts are 3d printed replacement except for the base, the condition of your cars looks great!!!!. Mine look like a mess lol

If i were to use back my old futaba fp-R2GS receiver, do i still need a power source for it? or the power will be supply by the esc or it doesnt work this way with this old receiver

I am 60 years old now and don't really remember how the old receivers were.  I just run my old stuff now with modern transmitters/receivers. they are to cheap now to worry about trying to get the old stuff to work with the new stuff (the exception of the old servos I still use). I run all my old and new stuff with Flysky transmitters and receivers. They are cheap (Paid about $30 USD) and work fine for my use. Someone more into the higher tech stuff, probably still use the expensive set ups, which is fine, but for myself just playing around and not in competition, Flysky stuff is actually pretty good for the money. The receivers are very small and can be put pretty much anywhere (about 1/4 the size of the old Futabas). That, and with the technology now, you can buy one transmitter, and several receivers and run all your stuff with one transmitter. I use separate ones though, because I like to run them with my grand kids, so we can run them all at the same time. But the new stuff, you just link the receiver to whatever car you are running and go. Kinda cool compared to the old "Chrystal" type. 

32 minutes ago, Tudorp said:

I am 60 years old now and don't really remember how the old receivers were.  I just run my old stuff now with modern transmitters/receivers. they are to cheap now to worry about trying to get the old stuff to work with the new stuff (the exception of the old servos I still use). I run all my old and new stuff with Flysky transmitters and receivers. They are cheap (Paid about $30 USD) and work fine for my use. Someone more into the higher tech stuff, probably still use the expensive set ups, which is fine, but for myself just playing around and not in competition, Flysky stuff is actually pretty good for the money. The receivers are very small and can be put pretty much anywhere (about 1/4 the size of the old Futabas). That, and with the technology now, you can buy one transmitter, and several receivers and run all your stuff with one transmitter. I use separate ones though, because I like to run them with my grand kids, so we can run them all at the same time. But the new stuff, you just link the receiver to whatever car you are running and go. Kinda cool compared to the old "Chrystal" type. 

Old is gold and full of valuable experiences, always good to listen and learn from others where experiences can be share among others to share the knowledge. Guess i will try it with the old receiver first, at most it just fried it lol. Thats nice, your grandkids still play such stuff. The kids here now just stick their eyes on their phone or tablets which is a very sad case of how the world is changing

My Oldest son was only 3 months old when I bought my original Wild Willy back in 82.  He grew up with that car, as did all my kids. He is now 38 years old, and still loves it when I bring out the old Wild Willy. It is nostalgia for both of us. He has now gotten big into RC as an adult. He is more into the high performance Traxxas trucks for himself, but has now gotten my two grand sons into it, and when they come visit, we always break our Grandpa's old stuff, and their new stuff, and have a 3 generation blast out on our property. I think I get more enjoyment out of it now than I did when I first got into in the early 80s. Seeing the smile on my oldest son's face when he sees the old Wild Willy, still as he has always remembered it is priceless, and the new faces of my grand kids eyes when they see it running. Priceless.. ;)

1 hour ago, Tudorp said:

My Oldest son was only 3 months old when I bought my original Wild Willy back in 82.  He grew up with that car, as did all my kids. He is now 38 years old, and still loves it when I bring out the old Wild Willy. It is nostalgia for both of us. He has now gotten big into RC as an adult. He is more into the high performance Traxxas trucks for himself, but has now gotten my two grand sons into it, and when they come visit, we always break our Grandpa's old stuff, and their new stuff, and have a 3 generation blast out on our property. I think I get more enjoyment out of it now than I did when I first got into in the early 80s. Seeing the smile on my oldest son's face when he sees the old Wild Willy, still as he has always remembered it is priceless, and the new faces of my grand kids eyes when they see it running. Priceless.. ;)

Now that have become a great family tradition thats really great to hear that actually where everyone enjoy down the generation. I really do envy what you are enjoying now, wish i have something same as what you have experience. For me now its more of restoration of a memory my late dad have

16 hours ago, Orrgry said:

I'm assuming these are the things you are planning to order?  

If you haven't, I would recommend Flysky GT3C.  I have B version myself, but it takes 8 batteries. Mine didn't come with a LiPo battery, so I had to get an 11.1v LiPo.  Instead of B, if you get GT3C, the C version only takes 4 batteries. Many of them come with a LiPo too.  I don't know enough about electronic parts, but the C version seems to use more efficient electronic parts.  

7 hours ago, Juggular said:

I'm assuming these are the things you are planning to order?  

If you haven't, I would recommend Flysky GT3C.  I have B version myself, but it takes 8 batteries. Mine didn't come with a LiPo battery, so I had to get an 11.1v LiPo.  Instead of B, if you get GT3C, the C version only takes 4 batteries. Many of them come with a LiPo too.  I don't know enough about electronic parts, but the C version seems to use more efficient electronic parts.  

Yeap these are planned items i would order, like wise i do not know much about electronics part lol. Its more of trial and error hahaha. Hmmm nice suggestion, will consider it. the price difference seems to be more of the cost of the battery. Will find out more on the differences, thanks very much for the advise

• Like 1