426Purplefish

Modern Buggy for the old school RC guy?

As an older guy that loves the top performing  buggies from the 80s (Mids, YZ10, Egress, etc),  I would love to build a modern 4wd buggy that performs well, has a good supply of parts, and can be run hard.  

The problem is- I have no interest in modern racers that I see because of the hideous cab-forward design that looks like someone stomped on it.  Modern crawlwers look awesome (not my thing) but the last  racing buggy that I thought looked ok was the ZX-5.  

For guys like me, what modern buggies have you found that, while not racers, run well and have tolerable looks?

I think that is a tricky one simply because the layout of modern race (very wide chassis at the front like a touring car) buggies precludes fitting older shells. I have found it quite easy to fit older tamiya buggy shells onto modern 2WD buggies. I had a Grasshopper 2 shell on my TRF201 for a bit, amd i can't see why an astute couldn't be fitted to a modern buggy with a bit of creative body trimming. Closest any Tamiyas get to modern 4wd layout is the DF02 and TT02B, neither of which are great buggies, but the Plasma Edge shell is fairly old school looking and might be adapted to a 4wd race kit. 

Great suggestion! I should have specified that it doesn't have to be Tamiya.  Agree that the above mentioned are not bad looking.  Not great buggies because; not robust enough? Not engineered well for good handling?

Thanks

I had a DF02, but it was not my thing, really small ground clearance. 

I’d opt every day all day Zahaak. I believe it is the DN01 chassis.

edit: just realized it is 2wd.

I really love the Xray series of the buggy/truggy dept.

How about a ReRe Kyosho Optima or Turbo Optima?  Not modern, or cutting edge (well, certainly not now), but by all accounts seem to handle fairly nicely, have beefed up tranny etc so can safely run modern BL systems, and you can still get (most) parts for them. Oh, and they look drop dead gorgeous.  Not a lot around now though, but RC Mart still had the Turbo Optima when I last looked a few days back, and the Javelin is still readily available, easy to chuck an Optima shell on that if you don't dig cage buggies.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I had a DF02, but it was not my thing, really small ground clearance. 

I’d opt every day all day Zahaak. I believe it is the DN01 chassis.

edit: just realized it is 2wd.

I really love the Xray series of the buggy/truggy dept.

I will check out the Zahaak and the Xray-Thanks

1 hour ago, thegorf said:

How about a ReRe Kyosho Optima or Turbo Optima?  Not modern, or cutting edge (well, certainly not now), but by all accounts seem to handle fairly nicely, have beefed up tranny etc so can safely run modern BL systems, and you can still get (most) parts for them. Oh, and they look drop dead gorgeous.  Not a lot around now though, but RC Mart still had the Turbo Optima when I last looked a few days back, and the Javelin is still readily available, easy to chuck an Optima shell on that if you don't dig cage buggies.  

Ha, literally just finished a TO re re and it is great.  Ordered a yellow Javelin body kit for it.  I actually have a bunch of the old optimas and javelins including an NIB.  I see they are not worth a whole lot now.  Should probably unload some of my Mids before the Re Res come out...if they ever do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 426Purplefish said:

while not racers, run well and have tolerable looks

Durga is a looker in my view. Mid cab, and a little space rocket like if you can cope with that. This one - not mine - is a fine specimen!

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=89179&id=18028

Can get them NIB from Japan or HK. Plenty of spares and hop ups that are easy to get. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Howards said:

Durga is a looker in my view. Mid cab, and a little space rocket like if you can cope with that. This one - not mine - is a fine specimen!

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=89179&id=18028

Can get them NIB from Japan or HK. Plenty of spares and hop ups that are easy to get. 

Not wild about the look of the Durga-still looks a little too alien space ship to me.  That said, might be the best option for a modern buggy. Good price,, parts etc.  Looks may even grow on me.

Thanks for the suggestion

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 426Purplefish said:

Not wild about the look of the Durga-still looks a little too alien space ship to me.  That said, might be the best option for a modern buggy. Good price,, parts etc.  Looks may even grow on me.

Thanks for the suggestion

baldre body fits db01

Have you looked at the Schumacher CAT L1 evo? It has a cab forward body, but it looks better than most in my opinion. It also is miles ahead of a DB-01 in terms of performance. The belt drive is also unique since most 4WD buggies are shaft drive now. Parts are a little hard to get in the US, but seem to be easy to get in most of Europe. 

3 hours ago, Bash said:

Have you looked at the Schumacher CAT L1 evo? It has a cab forward body, but it looks better than most in my opinion. It also is miles ahead of a DB-01 in terms of performance. The belt drive is also unique since most 4WD buggies are shaft drive now. Parts are a little hard to get in the US, but seem to be easy to get in most of Europe. 

Thanks.  Yea, not as bad but I can't do the cab forward at all. I'm not a racer so I don't need to drive ugly bc it offers an advantage

What’s your budget? Are you wanting to add hop ups as you go? Theres a couple of DN-01 builds on the go at the moment, you can still get these from abroad as far as I’m aware. They have good foundations to be tuned and plenty hop ups to get them upto TRF spec. Failing that I’d be on ebay looking at some of the other mentioned kits.  I was considering Kyosho etc too but as I have a Tamiya TB-01 I thought I’d keep with Tamiya for now. I got a good deal on a TRF201. Ticks all the boxes doesn't look too modern yet can still hold its own. Can change the shells on them too to suit your style.

6 hours ago, Seanster43 said:

What’s your budget? Are you wanting to add hop ups as you go? Theres a couple of DN-01 builds on the go at the moment, you can still get these from abroad as far as I’m aware. They have good foundations to be tuned and plenty hop ups to get them upto TRF spec. Failing that I’d be on ebay looking at some of the other mentioned kits.  I was considering Kyosho etc too but as I have a Tamiya TB-01 I thought I’d keep with Tamiya for now. I got a good deal on a TRF201. Ticks all the boxes doesn't look too modern yet can still hold its own. Can change the shells on them too to suit your style.

Kinda of wanting to go 4wd but those are solid 2wd choices-thanks

9 hours ago, 426Purplefish said:

Is the Durga an updated version of the same chassis?  

Same chassis - they just released two bodies for it. The Baldre body is taller and has more space for electrics and air flow over the motor.

7 hours ago, Howards said:

Same chassis - they just released two bodies for it. The Baldre body is taller and has more space for electrics and air flow over the motor.

Might need consider this option.

I can tell you my re-re Kyosho Javelin is incredible. The build quality is better than Tamiya and it's bulletproof. Can't recommend highly enough.

15 hours ago, JNSD1 said:

I can tell you my re-re Kyosho Javelin is incredible. The build quality is better than Tamiya and it's bulletproof. Can't recommend highly enough.

I love the Optima series.  I just built the turbo optima.  A little bored with the red and white shells so I ordered a yellow javelin shell.  Can’t justify buying the kit.

• Like 1

I'd maybe take a look at the Arrma Typhon 3s. It looks better than most modern buggies and runs very strongly.

While not an out and out racer, it's tough as all badword and goes like the proverbial. 

If you want something more classically styled maybe a Cat XLS rerelease. 

Nothing modern gets close to classic 80s/90s buggys. 

I second a cat xls, it s pretty bullet proof out the box, with pro spec transmission it can handle big brushless power and it has a way of moving and sliding on rough terrain that I find mesmerizing compared To my kyosho's, avante's and egress.

14 minutes ago, t3garett said:

I second a cat xls, it s pretty bullet proof out the box, with pro spec transmission it can handle big brushless power and it has a way of moving and sliding on rough terrain that I find mesmerizing compared To my kyosho's, avante's and egress.

Compelling argument!  I think the negative talk regarding build and maintenance has kept me from this one. 

Don t listen to them !!! It s a tough build but very rewarding and once it s set up properly maintenance is very straightforward. It s also a very rugged car and can take a lot of abuse.