426Purplefish

Modern Buggy for the old school RC guy?

I went for a Schuamcher Laydown last year,  and it's a brilliant car.

I'm sure you could graft on a different body, if that's the only thing stopping you.

DB01 is objectively a better chassis than CAT XLS - and it should be, given it has another ten years of RC car development behind it. The CAT has the edge on durability out of the box, but then it is what it is - there isn't anything left to do with it. I'd get an XLS if you haven't had a Schumacher car before and want a bit of a nostalgia trip. 

4 hours ago, Howards said:

DB01 is objectively a better chassis than CAT XLS - and it should be, given it has another ten years of RC car development behind it. The CAT has the edge on durability out of the box, but then it is what it is - there isn't anything left to do with it. I'd get an XLS if you haven't had a Schumacher car before and want a bit of a nostalgia trip. 

That would be my first Schumacher.  

• Like 1

I went to my LHS last week and has this exact conversation and I ended up with a CAT XLS. The ease of parts availability swung it for me as they are made in the UK.

37 minutes ago, 426Purplefish said:

my first Schumacher

Enjoy cursing at the devil plastic universal joint build :)

On 7/13/2020 at 7:55 AM, Hifonics said:

I went to my LHS last week and has this exact conversation and I ended up with a CAT XLS. The ease of parts availability swung it for me as they are made in the UK.

Literally just bought this,.  I’m in the US but it seems that there is decent parts availability.  Unfortunately with RE REs, you never know how long parts will be available.  

36 minutes ago, 426Purplefish said:

Literally just bought this

Lets us know how you get on with the build. I have been deliberating purchasing one of these for years at this point. I prefer shaft drive (Optima excepted) and gear diffs but this car has such a rep for being the best 4wd of its era, it constantly tempts me. 

BTW, as someone who restored muscle cars for a living at one time, is your screen name derived from a Plum Crazy 426 Hemi 'Cuda?

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Lets us know how you get on with the build. I have been deliberating purchasing one of these for years at this point. I prefer shaft drive (Optima excepted) and gear diffs but this car has such a rep for being the best 4wd of its era, it constantly tempts me. 

BTW, as someone who restored muscle cars for a living at one time, is your screen name derived from a Plum Crazy 426 Hemi 'Cuda?

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Thanks, will do.  It may be a little while, I have a a TOMS tribute and a YZ10 next in the hopper.

Very perceptive on the name.  I had a 70 ‘Cuda convertible with a 528 6bbl stroker/Tremec 5spd/Dana.  Had to sell it though to fund my business😪

• Like 1