Juhunio

TT02 (Blue and) White Special

47 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Looking good. What colour do you have planned for it? Seems like it should either be white or blue? :lol:

Cutting out bodyshells is by far my least favourite part of a build. Especially if the bodyshell is discontinued / expensive!

Yeah, it does really doesn't it!! Pearl White backed with some bright silver, and I have some pale blue Porsche decals on the way from MCI

I've just cut out the 911 RSR shell for my TT02RR and made a better fist of it than this one. Practice, etc....

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 12:14 PM, Juhunio said:

One thing that is bugging me, is the steering link between the servo and the steering bridge not being straight. It has to angle forward quite a bit to connect. It just doesn't seem right. I've checked the manual and build at least 5 times but still convinced I've messed up somewhere :huh:

IMG_6281.thumb.jpeg.b1b9d849e703830825305d5cf2debacd.jpeg

It does appear strange, in a good way, seeing everything in White! 😲 Mine is all Blue FRP, and I find that oddly different as well.

I stared at that Steering for almost 4 hours when I built mine!! Same reason, thought I messed up. 😖 I'm not huge on the "Bling" items.... But the Aluminium Bridge and Steering Bellcranks make a SIGNIFICANT improvement in Steering SLOP!! 😎👍👍 Either Yeah Racing or Tamiya, you can't go wrong. The Slop is strong in TT-02s stock!! 😖😲

This thread is also making me disassemble my TT-02, and see about Shimming the Diffs. I like the Car, but as built, it's a bumper to bumper Slop Fest!!! 

I've had mine for nearly 4 Years, and STILL haven't got a Body for it!! I'm holding out for the 240Z, which either I can't find, or can't afford... 😖😞

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, Carmine A said:

I stared at that Steering for almost 4 hours when I built mine!! Same reason, thought I messed up. 😖 I'm not huge on the "Bling" items.... But the Aluminium Bridge and Steering Bellcranks make a SIGNIFICANT improvement in Steering SLOP!! 😎👍👍 Either Yeah Racing or Tamiya, you can't go wrong. The Slop is strong in TT-02s stock!! 😖😲

Yup, I've just built an RR using the full Tamiya steering set and it is a seriously smooth and precise upgrade. I've order the (far cheaper!!) Yeah Racing set for this, for comparison's sake!

On 7/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, Carmine A said:

This thread is also making me disassemble my TT-02, and see about Shimming the Diffs. I like the Car, but as built, it's a bumper to bumper Slop Fest!!! 

It is very satisfying, particularly either side of the diff bearings and all around the front / rear upper and lower arms. There are various schools of thought on shimming, and probably plenty on here who will say it is a waste of time on such a basic and sloppy kit as the TT02, but I look at this whole hobby, which I have come to late in life, as a learning experience. I enjoy all the background research and reading, and the chance to make any kit build 'better' than out of the box. I can look at this build and know that it is tighter and less sloppy than it could have been, so it is a 'better' build for it, and more satisfying to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I look at it the same way. Although I've been in the Hobby since early 1984... It's always a learning experience.

I thought the same thing about the TT-02. Sure it's basic - but it's not nearly as fragile as many other more capable machines. But considering the aftermarket makes SO many Parts for them, there MUST be some potential, right?

• Like 1

Final update for this one...I ordered a Yeah Racing steering set for my drift TT02, and it was so cheap and the additional shipping was negligible, I ordered one for this too :)

IMG_7039.thumb.jpeg.fc1e2230fc764992eec68d5a72f71bf8.jpeg

And then with the good weather early last week (pre-storms!) I managed to get it painted, and then this week finished off the light buckets and stickering. The blue stickers were a colour variation of a set from MCI

IMG_7029.thumb.jpeg.51ed297bb0a89338b5186376820c44be.jpeg

It's the 911 GT3 VIP Cup shell, so came with a bazillion sponsor stickers which I didn't need. I also left the giant racing wing off, and think it looks just fine without it, you don't miss it.

I did need the window stickers though, which meant unfortunately there was no avoiding the big Mobil sponsor logo on the front 

IMG_7030.thumb.jpeg.b39195ad1e4bd77c52690951a847d2a3.jpeg

Those window stickers are for the full window, not just the frame... they're HUGE. A few rogue air bubbles were inevitable

IMG_7031.thumb.jpeg.f93edb59417f21ecb80a9ae16fd71b37.jpeg

I might look to get some panel lines in the same blue to break the back end up a bit at some point, but overall very happy with how the (Blue and) White Special turned out B)

IMG_7032.thumb.jpeg.a121f603e8fcb16a2929b421045e8a97.jpeg

IMG_7041.thumb.jpeg.5fc40ad5bb5d51cf3c5438f42053863f.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks SO GOOD!! 👍👍  I've thought about doing an all White... It really looks cool.  But I've got Grandbabies, and frankly, I probably couldn't keep it clean either! 😜

• Haha 1

Lookin' good B)

I think it needs the spoiler though. With the extreme GT3 bumpers, it looks odd without it's massive rear wing. Understand why you didn't include it originally, but think it would work better with.

Also; get some dishy wheels on there!

• Thanks 1

Mate, the whole build started with finding those wheels and loving them! They’re staying 😂

But out of interest, what would your choice be? 

I know what you mean about the wing, I just prefer the “road car” natural lines against the “race car / wide boy” spoiler. I will take your advice though and paint it and ‘soft’ mount it to see if it works or not 👍

• Like 1