esmuz

Legendary series advice and questions

Hey! 

First of all I must confess I am a Kyosho person, so apologies in first place :)

When I was 17 I bought a Kyosho Shadow 4WD which I discovered resting at my parent's place and after some cleaning and new electronics is still working pretty good, it's not a high end car, but still pretty capable for having fun. Now fully immersed on my midlife crisis, I am considering getting one of the 2WD legendary series car. I can't afford all of them ( meaning my wife would kill me ) so I need some advice on which might be the best for me. 

I like the Tomahawk the most, I find it a gorgeous car and love the platform better than the scorpion one, I've seen also that in Japan there's a bunch of people using it for classic racing. My next choice would be the beetle, I just love the way it looks,  and finally I am considering the Turbo Scorpion.

Nowadays it's almost impossible getting the first two, so I am considering getting the Turbo Scorpion, which is also a beautiful car, easier to drive, better shocks, and with more evolving options and parts as far as I know.

Questions:

1. Might both the Tomahawk or Beetle bodies be easily fitted into the Turbo Scorpion chassis? I really like the TS body but if I can get a Tomahawk or Beetle body and swap it sometimes, it could be fun. What do you think? Can't find any specific info on that, but I've seen this kind of things in Japanese pictures, even using on other platforms like Tamiya DT03.
  2. What about wheels? I know the TS uses regular 2,2" rims with hex fitting, but could I try the TH or Beetle ones on it? 
  3. And final question, Do you guys think the Shadow 4WD might be worth selling? 

Thanks! 

Tomahawks are nice if you can find one but a Turbo Scorpion is a good choice. The Ts , Scorpion and Beetle use the same chassis so a Beetle body or wheels should fit on a Ts. Tomahawk might be too short on Ts but not sure.

The Turbo Scorpion has a longer wheelbase, not sure how the other bodies would mount....

The Turbo Scorpion has a longer wheelbase via the chassis plate that mounts the rear suspension.  I believe it can be swapped with the regular wheelbase plate without issue.  Front suspension is wider too via the black bar which can also be swapped out.

Thank you guys.. 

I am still doubtful, if I had to choose for the looks, Tomahawks, Scorpions and Beetles look much nicer to me with it's retro wheels and shapes, than the Turbo Scorpion using those white rims and low profile tires.. I also like the Tomahawk chassis more with the servo placed closer to the steering, and chances to put the battery transversally. 

But I also found you can buy the hex drives used on the TS and swap them for the old style ribbed ones included in the TH, SC and Beetle, so If I would go for a Tomahawk or beetle, and would like to try new things, like swapping to on-road wheels or just try some stuff I could go with standard 2.2" and change the overall behaviour of the car..

By the other hand, dampers on the TS are bigger and better too.. 

I don't know.. I know I look like a child.. haha

I think i'll go for the TS because there are no Tomahawks for sale anywhere, just Scorpions, and for the same price with the Turbo you get a better buggy and in the future I might try some experiments fitting a Tomahawk or Beetle bodies.

PS: Any ideas why Kyosho is not supplying anymore Tomahawks and Beetles? Was it  small batch and there is no plan to make more, or is it a Covid.19 problem?

Not sure on stock.  Covid is ruining everything though so it wouldn't shock me if it is causing issues with Kyosho's supply chain too.  Let me say, whatever you decide these kits are awesome and fantastically executed.  Fit and finish is top of the line (shocks are a pain).  I have built a Scorpion and Optima myself and have a Turbo Scorpion and Javelin waiting.

I think it's a supply issue.  Maybe due to Covid19 people bought all stock of kits.

Looking at Kyosho America website, the only Legendary series buggy in stock is the Ultima.  Same thing at Tower Hobbies.  And some of the estimates to get stock again is early NOVEMBER!

My guessing is that Beetle, Scorpions and Tomahawk are so **** good looking kits, that it somehow affects on sales of the later re-released legendary models like Ultimas, Javelins and so on.. So they stopped supplying the first ones hoping to sell the stock of the new ones before. And once everything is balanced to their sales goals, they'll start selling them again. 

If that was a Covid issue, the Optimas, Ultimas and Javelins would be sold out too and that's not the case.

I've heard that another batch of Tomahawks is due around late Oct / early Nov, so if you can hold out, just wait for the one you really want.

• Thanks 2