Sign in to follow this  
kid168

Bruiser or Mt Rider

Both

Tamiya Rule No. 1 if you get a Chassis you need to get it in minimum 2 Variations (for driving with a Friend, Familymember or a total Stranger at the same Time

Tamiya Rule No. 2 if you let a total Stranger drive your car, tell him to get his first Tamiya himself

Tamiya Rule No. 3 if you get a new car, buy 5 of them. one for dirving, one for spares one for display one for storing as untouched in the box and one for erm doubblespares or as as a gift for a total stranger like me

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

aw man...I used to drool all over the bruiser in the catalog at the hobby store.....

Maybe some Videos help your decition :D

Watch them, go to your Bank, visit your LHS and tell your Wife that you only got one Car.

She wonn`t recognize the Difference between them :D

The Bruiser is a bit more ingrained in my mind as the "classic" 3 speed I remember at the hobby shops when I was a kid. I also prefer blue ;).  That said, if I had no prior background on the trucks, looking at them with fresh eyes, the Mountain Rider looks less awkward with the rollbar vs the odd half cap on the Bruiser (of which I've never seen one outside of pictures in real life).

You guys dint really help in deciding which one. Hahahaha After reading all your post and watching both videos... I have decided to get both! Hahahaha Tamiya rule number 1!

Ill pick up a Bruiser first, then the Mt Rider after a couple of months...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, whahooo said:

just make sure you paint them both the same colour B)

I have yet to break the seal on my rere bruiser kit I bought but from what I understand is that you can build it without the bed cap so at the minimum. A bruiser kit and mountain rider decals would give you options

Do they have the same body? Just dif accessories and decals?

Is the Tundra high lift the same chassis as the Bruiser?

57 minutes ago, kid168 said:

Do they have the same body? Just dif accessories and decals?

For the re-releases, yes, this is the case.

58 minutes ago, kid168 said:

Is the Tundra high lift the same chassis as the Bruiser?

No. The High Lift chassis is completely different than the Bruiser/Mountain Rider chassis. They both use solid axles and leaf springs with shift-able 3 speed transmissions (although the High Lift series is full time 4wd in every gear while the Bruiser is 4wd in low gear and 2wd in medium and high gear). After that, the similarity stops. The High Lift uses much more plastic and is its mechanicals are far less realistic. That being said, I'd hazard a guess that the High Lift is a bit more rugged.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kid168 said:

You guys dint really help in deciding which one. Hahahaha After reading all your post and watching both videos... I have decided to get both! Hahahaha Tamiya rule number 1!

And i thought i would be helpful with these Videos .....

Good Choice mate!

18 hours ago, Saito2 said:

For the re-releases, yes, this is the case.

No. The High Lift chassis is completely different than the Bruiser/Mountain Rider chassis. They both use solid axles and leaf springs with shift-able 3 speed transmissions (although the High Lift series is full time 4wd in every gear while the Bruiser is 4wd in low gear and 2wd in medium and high gear). After that, the similarity stops. The High Lift uses much more plastic and is its mechanicals are far less realistic. That being said, I'd hazard a guess that the High Lift is a bit more rugged.

thanks for the info

If you can’t get both, do what I did. Bruiser with roll bar instead of the weird cab.
See My show room. 

On 7/9/2020 at 12:36 AM, whahooo said:

Maybe some Videos help your decition :D

Watch them, go to your Bank, visit your LHS and tell your Wife that you only got one Car.

Very nice!!! Your trucks suspension looks ALOT more supple then mine. What did you do to soften them up?

On 7/25/2020 at 10:59 PM, GTodd said:

Very nice!!! Your trucks suspension looks ALOT more supple then mine. What did you do to soften them up?

He used slow motion. Makes it look smoother.

I had a Bruiser and I installed the High Lift MFC-02 unit in it... so it was heavy as a rock.

Now one time I was trailing with the truck and I made a mistake so the whole thing rolled down the hillside. I was really surprised that there were only a few scratches on the truck and the body made it even with the extra weight of the chassis. It rolled about a hundred times... That was the moment when I realised that the sleeper cab adds a big amount of extra strength to the body. 

I think that the Mountain Rider wont have this kind of advantage...