MischMaster

Tamiya TBLE-02s ESC smokes

Hi,

our first Neo Scorcher doesn't work anymore. It seems that the ESC is already broken after about 5 battries.

I turn the car on and everything lokks normal. When I accerlerate the motor turn about 5 seconds. Then it stops and the ESC is getting very hot and then the ESC even starts to smoke.

Unfortunately I glued the housing of the ESC, because it fell off all the time. So if I want to open it I would habe to break it.

Any ideas what's wromg with the ESC?

Thanks,

Michael

I suspect that the problem you have is that it is a TBLE-02.When they work, they generally work well, but working is not their strong point - they don't have the greatest reputation for reliability unfortunately. And like most electronics, they run on magic smoke. Once the smoke comes out, they are generally too far gone to be saved. Probably best to get a new one, a 10BL60 or 10BL120 if running brushless, or a 1060 if running brushed.

What battery and motor are you using? I presume you have exceeded one of the parameters below in red.

Tamiya Specs:

• Special Feature 1 Forward, Reverse, Braking (Reverse function may be disabled)
  • Special Feature 2 Input voltage: 6.6-7.2V Notice: Use of Lithium-Polymer batteries may risk damage and is not recommended.
  • Special Feature 3 Dimensions: 42mmx34mmx25mm
  • Special Feature 4 Max. continuous current: 60A
  • Special Feature 5 Receiver output: 6V/1.5A
  • Special Feature 6 Weight: 50.8grams (including cables)
  • Special Feature 7 Protection systems: overheat, overload, low voltage to 4.8V (LiFe battery only) Note: Does not support LiPo 6.0 voltage cut-off
  • Special Feature 8 Compatible motors: TBLM series (sensored) Sport Tuned brushed motors 540 size over 25T

• Like 1

I use a Turnigy 5000 mAh 20C 2s Lipo and Stock Torque motor RS-540. I think it's far bigger than your dimensions.

Receiver from FS-GT3C (FS-GR3E).

I that really the reason. Are the ESC such a crap?

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I suspect that the problem you have is that it is a TBLE-02.When they work, they generally work well, but working is not their strong point - they don't have the greatest reputation for reliability unfortunately. And like most electronics, they run on magic smoke. Once the smoke comes out, they are generally too far gone to be saved. Probably best to get a new one, a 10BL60 or 10BL120 if running brushless, or a 1060 if running brushed.

Thanks for the ESC suggestions. I think I will upgrade the Neo Scrocher to brushless somewhen. So I'm wondering if there is a ESC that can handle brushed and brushless motors.

Is this a good idea to go brushless with stock chassis and diffs? Or will the brushless motor damage the whole car.

To be honest I was alittle disappointed about the speed of the car. I have also a stock Traxxas Mini E Revo and it is far faster with brushed motor.

Dual-mode ESCs are pretty rare. I am sure they exist, but I am not aware of any apart from the TBLE-02.

Brushless motors are available with different levels of power. A mild one such as a 21.5t shouldn't cause any issues if you shim the diffs for a closer mesh. However metal diff upgrades are available if you want to run something hotter. You can also alter the gearing if you want more speed. Performance is always a 3-way trade between acceleration, top speed and runtime, and gearing is the main way this trade is conducted.

Hmmm... ok. I think I will stay brushed, because this is the car of my 6 year old son. A little bit faster is good, but he does not need a racing machine.

Then I would replace the ESC with a 1060. And as a new motor a would go for the Firebolt 15T Motor (540er).

I already have metal bearings and would leave the gearing and diffs stock.

Is that a good combination?

• Like 1

Yes, I'd say that would work fine. The rear diff may start skipping after a while with a 15t, but replacements are cheap and relatively easy to find. 

A 10BL60 would be more than enough for a 17.5t motor. I use them on 13.5t with no issue.

Ok, I hope last question before I buy...

Is a 17t brushless motor significantly faster than a 17t brushed motor. Or is it the same, because the rpm are quite the same.

I watched some videos an it seems that they are euqal. What would be the benefits of the brushless version?

And would the brushed 17t be significantly faster as the stock torque tuned motor?

The brushless version would cost me about 100€ in Germany. That as much as the whole TT02B costed.

The brushed version would be 40€.

Hi !

beushless motors require less maintenance (no brushes to replace) than a brushed motor. They are also more energy efficient although I don’t know if that’s significant in the RC world.

i replaced the silver can with  a 17.5 turns into my stadium thunder, it’s faster but not by a huge margin. The real difference is the « punch » of the motor (and the car): acceleration is way better, making the car much more responsive 

Indeed. The chief advantages of brushless motors are better torque and efficiency. You can decide by altering your gearing how these advantages are to be used.

You could gear it for a similar top speed to the brushed equivalent, in which case you would have better acceleration and longer runtimes. 

You could gear it for similar runtimes to the brushed equivalent, in which case you would have higher speeds and probably better acceleration.

You could gear it for similar acceleration to the brushed equivalent, giving better top speed and likely better runtimes. 

Or you could gear it to be a bit better in all three areas - speed, acceleration and runtimes.

I would shop around though. You should be able to get a brushless motor for far less than the cost of the kit! The last one I bought was 1/10 of the kit price.