tomjkear

Decent Bearings UK

I'm looking to buy a TT-02B bearing kit but don't have a clue what retailers are known to be good quality...

Anyone used the seller "rcbearings" on eBay?  

Any better suggestions on where to buy?

Cheers :)

• Like 1

I've heard of that company and they seem to have good quality bearings. I personally like fast eddy bearing kits, but I'm not sure how easy they are to get in the UK. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bash said:

I've heard of that company and they seem to have good quality bearings. I personally like fast eddy bearing kits, but I'm not sure how easy they are to get in the UK. 

Looks like they ship from the US but postage isn't cheap.  Cheers :)

I think rc bearings are pretty much the go to default for a lot of people in the uk. I've used them for all my kits - metal and rubber shield and they've lasted really well. Read about other people's positive experience with them too. Not too expensive and decent quality. What's not to like 😁

22 minutes ago, tomjkear said:

I'm looking to buy a TT-02B bearing kit but don't have a clue what retailers are known to be good quality...

Bought loads from Colin at RCBearings, really helpful guy and good service. Offers a good discount if you're a member of tamiyabase too.

• Like 1

Always use RCBearings. Colin is a good chap. Didn’t know about Tamiyabase discount!

Likewise - 95% of my models run bearings from rcbearings.co.uk. Not one has failed yet!

RCbearings.co.uk are brilliant. I use them in all my cars. I also use their ceramic bearings in my race cars.

RCBearings gets my vote. Colin really helpful with sizes etc. Never had one fail yet!

+1 on rc bearings, if you order direct they are usually with you in a day or two, even in the current situation.

I also didn't know about discount!

And another +1. Every car i have that didnt have bearings as stock has nothing but RCbearings bearings in it bought off their website. They have a great online kit selector and they arrive all arranged neatly tubed up in couple of days. Once when I was feeling cheap and dirty I bought some random ones on ebay while searching for some other bits. Obviously immediately afterwards I was filled with shame and self loathing. But when they arrived it turned out that id bought them from Rcbearings ebay store without realising!! Hurrah.

• Like 1

Well that was an overwhelming positive reaction. rcbearings it is... That's guys! 

+1 Colin at rcbearings.co.uk has supplied me with 100s of bearings for all my RC. Great chap!

On 7/9/2020 at 10:35 PM, tomjkear said:

I can vouch for rcbearings. Get all of mine from them. Good service, great quality and inexpensive 👍

On 7/9/2020 at 10:35 PM, tomjkear said:

Used them for nearly all my bearings. In my TB01 Ultimate build, in the kids Madbulls, and now in my TB Evo 4 build.

Just as an FYI for you if you didn't know most bearings have a standard size reference that can be used instead of the Tamiya size. For example:

I just needed some 1280 rubber shielded bearings for my TNS chassis restoration. In the bearing world they have the code MR128 2RS so always worth checking what is offered. You can buy 100 MR128's for 32p each or 1 1280 listed in RC parts for £1.59. Now 100 is extreme for that size but do a little homework and you will save in the long run.

This is all the bearing sellers are doing, buying in bulk and making up kits or selling in 10's etc. The most common size 1150's (MR115-2RS) with blue rubber shields can be had for just 29p each if you buy 100 at a time.

• Like 2

Trouble with buying in bulk is that some models have 6 or 7 different types of bearing 

I think in the long run you may save a few tens of £ buying in bulk but that’s if you use them all ;)

JJ

• Like 1

I am looking for a set for my TB-01 so i have also followed the advice and checked out RC bearings. Does anyone know whats better the metal shielded or the rubber shielded?

3 hours ago, Wiverage said:

I am looking for a set for my TB-01 so i have also followed the advice and checked out RC bearings. Does anyone know whats better the metal shielded or the rubber shielded?

From what I've read... Metal for clean, dry environments. Rubber of wet, dirty environments. 

41 minutes ago, tomjkear said:

From what I've read... Metal for clean, dry environments. Rubber of wet, dirty environments. 

I generally use SKF at work, their website and information sections are usually really good.

• Shields
    There is a small gap between the shield and inner ring. Bearings fitted with shields (fig. 7) are used where the operating conditions are relatively clean, or where low friction is important because of speed or operating temperature considerations.
  • Seals
    Bearings with seals are preferred for arrangements where contamination is moderate. Where the presence of water or moisture cannot be ruled out, contact seals (fig. 8) are typically used. These seals make positive contact with the sliding surface on one of the bearing rings. Low-friction seals (fig. 9) and non-contact seals (fig. 10) can accommodate the same speeds as bearings with shields, but with improved sealing effectiveness.

So out door buggy, seals and track cars shields but I’d never know the difference in practice because I cant drive :)

Looks like I need to put ball bearings in the daughters rising fighter - 15 minutes on a LRP GT2 motor seems to have sped up the demise of the plastic bearings quite considerably :rolleyes:. Has anyone checked the width dimensions for the non-Tamiya ones at rc bearings? Are they a similar tolerance on width to Tamiya?

I don't really want to be shimming them all. 

All my Tamiya cars run on bearings from RC Bearings. Tolerances are same as Tamiya bearings.

• Thanks 1

OK ordered from RC Bearings 1st class post. Maybe they will get here for the weekend and I can get this Rising Fighter sounding a little happier.

Just fitted those RC bearings on the Rising fighter and they seem spot on fit and best of all it doesn't sound like a bag of bolts anymore.

• Like 1