Sign in to follow this  
Finnsllc

Shock of shock complexity

So this is a thing. Got these Qutus shocks to build. Instructions are a bit complicated and confusing. I’ll figure it out but darn it this is a whole thing. 

image.jpg

So they can be built to adjustable as far as the internal pistons go? Awesome

Would be neat if you could adjust the compression / rebound damping without having to dismantle the shock and re-oil / bleed

Edit. Neat, you can 

I wish yeah racing would stop making shocks that rely on the piston dragging hard against the shock body. They work ok if the shock is relatively upright but as the angle increases they seem to drag quite badly. It would be very easy to just add another rod guide above the seal to take some of the load. 

that being said it’s a nice design, progressive suspension (yes the people that make Harley Davidson shocks) made shocks with a similar setup many many years ago mainly for associated buggy’s and trucks. They had a shaft inside the shaft though and the adjuster was under the spring retainer. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20040401120031/https://www.progressivesuspension.com/rc-car.html

Apart from the adjustable damping bit in the first step, they look pretty much identical to basic tamiya dampers 

JJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Apart from the adjustable damping bit in the first step, they look pretty much identical to basic tamiya dampers 

JJ

They lack a rear shaft guide, expecting the damper piston and the body of the shock to hold the shaft in line on it's own. in other words, the shaft is only partially supported, virtually all tamiya alloy shocks have dual shaft guides to reduce the need for the piston to drag against the body.

I bought a set of their 80mm shocks (https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-aluminum-big-bore-go-80mm-damper-set-2pcs-for-1-10-rc-offroad-buggy-black-bbg-0080bk-00085018)

They have the same design as the above shocks, they only work if you keep them perfectly upright, like on a comical buggy, I tried them on a 75 degree angle and they almost lock up from the shaft forcing the piston into the body as it has no support. They ended up being useless junk for my application, I'll have to find something with a near 90 degree mounting for them to work properly.

• Like 1

It looks like it has the hole in the bottom of the shock body then the 2 seals then the retaining cap - then the piston disc

or am I misunderstanding?

i can’t see what’s that different 

JJ

the piston discs need to be set up a certain way, there are 3 options to decide on. then the piston disc has a nub that fits in to a groove inside the body for adjustment. but, there is another area withing the body that the nub will slide along. its just something im not used to. ill start dealing with setup when my carbon damper stay arrives. this is on hold until then. it shipped so hopefully soon.