Seanster43

Servos and more servos!

Hello, looking at a few options. I know everyone seems to stick to savox these days, I am looking for a reasonably priced metal gear ball raced servo for the Trf 201, doesn't have to be waterproof. Seems there’s so much choice these days, as I’m not long back into the hobby I would appreciate someones input as there seems too many for me to choose from 😂. I use to run futaba ones yers ago and they seemed fine. Is there anything I should be looking out for as I know the Trf is fairly light at the front end? 

Cheers, Sean

A Savox 1258-TG is the best option for a TRF201 that is not awfully expensive. The above mentioned futaba, while a decent servo for the price, is not a good choice for a vehicle of this caliber. Another good option that is cheaper than the savox, but with slightly less performance is a Power HD R20 or LF-13MG

• Like 3

@Bash is correct that the futaba isnt high end. I dont race so they work for me. If they break or whatever they are easy to replace. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnsllc said:

@Bash is correct that the futaba isnt high end. I dont race so they work for me. If they break or whatever they are easy to replace. 

No worries cheers for the input. 

Sean

Do you need a low profile servo for the TRF201? And do you have a budget? If you can use either low profile or standard, do you have a preference, as you may want more weight up front for tuning purposes. If more weight, get a standard sized servo as they are generally stronger and faster for the same money.

The Savox 1258TG is what I run in my race buggies. I have 1251MG in my sons and they are durable enough but slower.

You could try much cheaper, the JX 4409MG seems pretty good, I have a few in various cars and they are only abour USD13 from Banggood, metal gears and fast and strong enough. They are low profile though.

Another similar option is the SPT4412LV which comes recommended, I have ordered one but haven't got it yet.

I would stay away from plastic geared ones like the Futaba S3003 etc. They are slow and weak compared to others, and nowhere near as durable, as well as being expensive for what they are. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Do you need a low profile servo for the TRF201? And do you have a budget? If you can use either low profile or standard, do you have a preference, as you may want more weight up front for tuning purposes. If more weight, get a standard sized servo as they are generally stronger and faster for the same money.

The Savox 1258TG is what I run in my race buggies. I have 1251MG in my sons and they are durable enough but slower.

You could try much cheaper, the JX 4409MG seems pretty good, I have a few in various cars and they are only abour USD13 from Banggood, metal gears and fast and strong enough. They are low profile though.

Another similar option is the SPT4412LV which comes recommended, I have ordered one but haven't got it yet.

I would stay away from plastic geared ones like the Futaba S3003 etc. They are slow and weak compared to others, and nowhere near as durable, as well as being expensive for what they are. 

Thanks for the detailed reply, budget wise I dont want to spend more than say £30  as the car won’t be getting used for racing tbh. Also need to source a servo for my TB-01 so may try one of each see how I get on. Thats interesting regarding full size servos and weight. Cheers

Sean 

• Like 1

Another great alternative is the Power HD R12, bought it as the Savöx 1251 are still quite expensive, and the R12 can be bought for around 42 US$ at RC mart. It is low profile and quick and strong enough for Touring car and Buggy. I did one race with it 4WD Touring car in my TB03 Exo 6 conversion and was on par with the fast guys. Can´t be that bad!:D

• Like 3

I quite like the look of these...

Servo

Not got one yet but specs and price look ok. Plan to get one next payday.

• Like 1

So this arrived yesterday and seems ok. Planning on putting it in my lightly restored schumacher cougar 2000. Will report back in the week when this is done and I've had chance to test it.

• Like 1

Nice one be interesting to hear back. I went with the power HD in the end although its now in another project so may be looking at a low profile one soon. 

• Like 1

Savox sells replacement servo gear kits for the price of 1 Futaba bottom shelf servo.  Well worth the investment to have replacement parts available with the speed and precision of a quality servo.

Too much choice now a days. I ran hand me down 80’s futaba servos back in the day and could keep up with nitro cars with my electric car on twisty tracks no bother. Depends on your needs and how serious your car is I guess. 

I have little knowledge of servos, I’m slightly concerned why no one has mentioned them. A couple of years ago I bought X4 DS3218 off of AliExpress for £34, they say they’re waterproof metal geared 20kg digital servos, only used two so far and I’ve had no issues and do not use a servo saver.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVb4hJ6

• Like 1

Another vote for the savox 1258TG, I've a few, never bought new, never paid above £30 ,and never had a single issue even running a solid servo horn ,racing off road, and crashing a fair bit! 🙄

• Like 5

On 8/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, Silver-Can said:

So this arrived yesterday and seems ok. Planning on putting it in my lightly restored schumacher cougar 2000. Will report back in the week when this is done and I've had chance to test it.

All installed and tested. Must say first impressions are very favourable. Build quality seems good and it can actually rotate through roughly 180° (although by default it is the usual 60 or so degrees you normally get). I was a bit sceptical of the stats (0.07s on 6v and boat loads of torque) but I must say it is fast, maybe not quite as fast as stated, but certainly up there with my savox 1258s, but at half the price. It doesn't feel quite as buttery smooth as the savox when rotating by hand, but in operation it is very quick, very responsive and very precise. Will definitely be getting more of these. Just hope they are durable too. Oh and they're waterproof. 👍

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 11:29 AM, ruebiracer said:

Another great alternative is the Power HD R12, bought it as the Savöx 1251 are still quite expensive, and the R12 can be bought for around 42 US$ at RC mart. It is low profile and quick and strong enough for Touring car and Buggy. I did one race with it 4WD Touring car in my TB03 Exo 6 conversion and was on par with the fast guys. Can´t be that bad!:D

i collect PHD's like M&M's

priced right, work great, and love their Tin Boxes

• Like 3