Saito2

What would you do? virus question number 2

My family received the plan from our local school district concerning Covid 19 and suffice to say, its a bit underwhelming. The kids will still ride the bus as normal, two to a seat. They will still have normal recess, though with perhaps reduced numbers on the playground at one time. The district will "try" to keep the kids 3 feet apart in class and lunch will still be held in the cafeteria though the food will be "pre-packaged". Its completely up to the parents to test their kid's (temp) before sending them to school so they're basically on the honor system. Considering many folks use school as a day care so both parents can work, I imagine that's going to work well :unsure:.  If a child does get a confirmed test (testing, of course, isn't on every street corner despite what the orange man says and our state is 46th out of 50 in actual testing), the school is closed for 2 days for cleaning before reopening. Essentially they put it to a vote (a survey to all parents) whether to digital school from home, do half digital and limited in-school, or do 100% in-school like normal. The district stated it was overwhelmingly decided to go 100% in-school by the votes. Interestingly, the statement was released right after the orange man threatened to cut federal funding to schools that don't physically re-open. Most in my highly conservative area also still blatantly consider the virus a hoax, a joke or overblown despite its runaway spread through the US.

Knowing kids and how the aren't they most hygienic, there is concern on my wife's and I's part. We are leaning heavily on going digital from home this year (its an option for those who want it, even in non-virus times). My 7 yr old daughter is high functioning autistic. On one hand she needs socialization to better acclimate to societal norms but on the other hand, she is badly upset by changes to routines (which will be present despite the districts lackluster virus policies). It may set her back socially, though her studies will be fine. Any opinions?

• Like 1

@Saito2 There is so much to say. My wife is her schools Union president as well as on two of the "reopening" committees for the district. She has had zoom and google meet meetings sometimes 4 times a day. The disconnect between the administration and the teachers and the parents is incredible. The powers to be are far more focused on putting the kids back into the classroom then they are maintaining safe protocols. I could type for hours, seriously, about this. The bussing is a whole other issue. As usual, the school system is concentrating on minute issues that are more hurtful than helpful. They are blatantly ignoring cdc and state guidelines saying they are only suggestions and not something that needs to be followed. I could go on an on and on. Your concerns are well founded and my guess is that, unfortunately, The kids will go back to school, there will be a severe uptick in cases and the schools will shutdown again and remote learning will be what happens.  

As far as cutting funding, he cant. he doesnt have the authority

• Like 2

I really feel for you, seeing the reaction some people are having to the very simple tasks such as social distancing, wearing masks and washing your hands it is a nightmare having to let your child go into school where you can’t keep them safe.

We have a 4yr old, we waited an additional 3 weeks before returning him to nursery once they re-opened, so we could monitor the practices they put in place to safeguard and also the infection rate of our local area. 

Do you have the advantage of a coming school holiday? Summer break? I know it won’t change the activities of your school but tracking the local ‘R’ number might help sway your decision in the weeks they have off.

I think as soon as relaxation of restrictions happens the terrifying huge majority of people act like noting happened, rush out to bars beaches etc... so there’s bound to be a second spike. If you’re just coming off lockdown the potential new spike will be there perhaps 4 weeks away. 

I have a friend who is a psychologist working to (not sure of the proper terminology) but ‘classify’ autism in children. I imagine case to case is very different but when I next speak to her next I’ll find out what she thinks of the current situation personal experience with lockdown impact and see if she has any insight into change of routine.

To all those that think its a hoax.. look at the statistics for national average death rates, 5 year average are not hard to come by, then see how this years statistics compare. It’s pretty hard to ignore the numbers.. I’d like to hear the conspiracy theorist alternative explanation...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

The disconnect between the administration and the teachers and the parents is incredible. The powers to be are far more focused on putting the kids back into the classroom then they are maintaining safe protocols. I could type for hours, seriously, about this. The bussing is a whole other issue. As usual, the school system is concentrating on minute issues that are more hurtful than helpful. They are blatantly ignoring cdc and state guidelines saying they are only suggestions and not something that needs to be followed

This is honestly somewhat ****htening stuff. I had a hunch this was the case. Thank you for your insight.

14 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Do you have the advantage of a coming school holiday? Summer break? I know it won’t change the activities of your school but tracking the local ‘R’ number might help sway your decision in the weeks they have off.

She's currently halfway through summer break. The plan has been submitted for review but considering it closely parallels the plans of surrounding school districts, I imagine it will go through. None of the increased measures proposed at the beginning of summer break found their way into the current plan.

17 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

I have a friend who is a psychologist working to (not sure of the proper terminology) but ‘classify’ autism in children. I imagine case to case is very different but when I next speak to her next I’ll find out what she thinks of the current situation personal experience with lockdown impact and see if she has any insight into change of routine.

Thank you. AFAIK, autism is considered a spectrum. I, myself, am autistic as well. While it gives me a bit of insight into the inner workings of my daughter, there is much that is still a mystery as we are affected very differently. The old saying goes, if you know one person with autism, you know one person with autism.

20 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

To all those that think its a hoax.. look at the statistics for national average death rates, 5 year average are not hard to come by, then see how this years statistics compare. It’s pretty hard to ignore the numbers.. I’d like to hear the conspiracy theorist alternative explanation.

The "theorist" at my work claim the death toll numbers have been inflated by doctors (who are all liberals intent on smearing the orange man). They claim most that have died were not tested for infection and simply slapped with Covid 19 as the cause of death. To them its nothing but the flu. Another repeated theory is that Covid really secretly means "certificate of vaccination identification" and that Bill Gates will be putting chips in all of us for monitoring purposes. Oh, and BTW, these folks also believe the 6 foot social distancing rule is to keep us physically separated to make it easier for the satellites to track us once the chips are implanted. I have to keep quiet for my own safety among these folks,  but this is what I'm surrounded by. About 20% wear mask properly or at all and there is no social distancing. Sigh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

The "theorist" at my work claim the death toll numbers have been inflated by doctors (who are all liberals intent on smearing the orange man). They claim most that have died were not tested for infection and simply slapped with Covid 19 as the cause of death. To them its nothing but the flu. Another repeated theory is that Covid really secretly means "certificate of vaccination identification" and that Bill Gates will be putting chips in all of us for monitoring purposes. Oh, and BTW, these folks also believe the 6 foot social distancing rule is to keep us physically separated to make it easier for the satellites to track us once the chips are implanted. I have to keep quiet for my own safety among these folks,  but this is what I'm surrounded by. About 20% wear mask properly or at all and there is no social distancing. Sigh.

You can’t argue with stupid.. logic and reason doesn’t work. Even if people were being labelled with Covid but dying of something else why are these people not worrying about what that something as yet unidentified is? I’ve seen a couple of posts about the ‘certificate of vaccination identification’ here, fortunately in the UK there are only a few of these nut jobs and although selfish and lazy people are less likely to be convinced by these irrational theorists.

I love the satellite tracking thing, the people that believe Bill gates is trying to put trackers in us are probably all carrying mobile phones that err... already have quite sophisticated GPS incorporated, they also use bank cards... and drive cars with registration numbers.. but anyway, want to track me? Go ahead, I go to work.. I come home... not very interesting :)

Re autism, naturally we’re all on the spectrum, people misinterpret being on the spectrum as a condition but it covers all, I work in a technical engineering capacity I think our business covers the whole spectrum and given that we’re mechanical engineers I think our department is weighted towards one particular end, not quite as high as the electronic engineers.. but still up there. I’m of an age where when I was at school what we’d classify now as Autism or Dyspraxia or any other developmental condition would have you labelled as difficult or behaviourally challenged. The part of the spectrum I sit on, though I can interpret others intents and emotions I rarely share them, I’m often labelled as ‘heartless’ or ‘indifferent’ simply because I can’t share in or express emotions, I’m unable to ‘emote’ for the benefit of others. This skill I lack makes simple things like sounding grateful for a present really hard and when someone shares news they consider sad I just can’t be ‘with them’ in that feeling. I find noise uncomfortable, in public places I find my brain tuned into all conversations in ear shot and can’t zone others out so it gets a little overwhelming. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee76 said:

I find noise uncomfortable, in public places I find my brain tuned into all conversations in ear shot and can’t zone others out so it gets a little overwhelming. 

I'm straying a bit from the school topic here, but its fascinating the hear about someone with similar issues as I. I know exactly what you mean. Its impossible to hear someone talking to you in these situations as you are literally hearing everybody else too. Too much stimulation = overload for me. I also hear lights frequently which is irritating. I can usually tell when an incandescent bulb is ready to blow and CFL bulbs are highly annoying. Don't get me started on the 60 cycle hum produced by florescent lights, lol. The coping mechanism I developed back in middle school has saved me a great deal of social issues that you speak of however. I began to study and and mimic the speech patterns and mannerisms of those around me in an attempt to not draw attention to myself and "fit in". The unintended consequence was I became a good judge of character as I also learned to motivations of those around me as well. My wife says I should be a therapist.;) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I'm straying a bit from the school topic here

Sorry.. that was my fault... back on topic..

9 hours ago, Saito2 said:

one hand she needs socialization to better acclimate to societal norms

Possibly another thread starting here.. but from what you say, societal norms in your area might not be the ones you’d want to acclimate to. I take an almost self-righteous satisfaction now in not being acclimated :)    

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Sorry.. that was my fault... back on topic..

Don't be sorry. Its totally cool.

21 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Possibly another thread starting here.. but from what you say, societal norms in your area might not be the ones you’d want to acclimate to. I take an almost self-righteous satisfaction now in not being acclimated :)

No, no they're not. It was easier BITD when I didn't know what was behind all that. The older I get, the more reclusive I get because I can't "fake it" anymore. I just keep quiet. Trust me, my wife and I would very much like to leave but we a stuck here due to family obligations.

I wonder what other areas of the country, and world for that matter, are doing for the whole children/school/Covid issue? As introverted and anti-social as my wife and I are, it is not my intention to push that mindset on my daughter. If she comes to it naturally, that's fine but she should be her own person. As such, our reasons for likely schooling her from home "digitally" this year,  are strictly for her safety.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I wonder what other areas of the country, and world for that matter, are doing for the whole children/school/Covid issue?

We’re still waiting for our selected primary school to Reveal their plan, though as we live in a small village, there will be no more than 30 children in the year group. Chances are it will be split into two, which to be honest will be better for ours as he’s naturally cautious/quiet type. The UK is in a phase now where people are over relaxing, more localised lockdowns will be used to address local spikes. I think the school itself will do a better job of ‘track and trace’ for any instances that may occur. I’m glad he’s not older and going to a much bigger school, it would be a much harder decision.

• Like 1

We're in the same boat here in Cali.  My wife and I have a 5 yr old son and 13 yr old daughter. School is starting in a month and our country is choosing to be stupid.  The spread of COVID is staggaring right now.

My peers and I have lost several friends to the virus and the seriousness is quite clear.

So, we elect to keep our decision making very simple; avoid the public, masks, go out only for essentials, immediate family visits only...

We're following Maslow's Heirarchy of Human Needs in raising the kids.  The first "need" is protection from physical threats, which we perceive to be the virus.  Socialization is a low ranking "need".  Therefore, we will home-school the kids until the first "need" can be satisfied.

• Like 2

We are doing virtual schooling. Not sure how well it will work out but our kids are young and can catch up...

• Like 2

I feel for you guys and gals on the other side of the pond. I can't give you any good advice, but I hope you all can stay safe.

• Like 2

@Saito2, if I still had younger children at home I would seriously consider either an online option or simply pull them out of the system to home school them.  The transmission and effects of the virus are pretty well understood, and we all know kids spread disease each school year from touching, sneezing, and coughing on each other.  Every one of them will bring it home, and this bioweapon will take its toll on the population soon enough.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 12:13 AM, SupraChrgd82 said:

We're following Maslow's Heirarchy of Human Needs in raising the kids.  The first "need" is protection from physical threats, which we perceive to be the virus.  Socialization is a low ranking "need".  Therefore, we will home-school the kids until the first "need" can be satisfied.

My wife liked this.

Thanks for all the support. It seems inevitable that my daughter will be taught from home at least this year. It will not be easy at times (she still has "meltdowns" common to autistic children at times), but she (and us, honestly) will be far safer. I'll be the main risk factor at that point, going to work with no measures in place, but I wear a mask (despite the mockery of coworkers at times) and try my best to be vigilant. Locals will accuse us of being "overprotective" but let them take risk with their kids, not us. Its refreshing to hear opinions from those here across the country and world and to know we're not alone despite being an "island" among these local conservatives that chose to politicize this health-related issue. 

• Like 1

Feel for you @Saito2 

Kind of lucky, as our kids finished for their summer holidays in June (Scotland) , and don't go back until August, so there's not been a grey area as yet, (ie,send them back to school or not).

My sister in law is a teacher,  and they are receiving very little information, and even that changes daily, at great frustration to them all. As it stands atm, the classes have been halved, one child per table,  and one way arrows on the floor for children to follow around the classroom and in and out. As the class has been split in half, they will effectively have a shift pattern, 3 days one week, 2 days the week after, and staggered start / finish times. Home schooling work is sent out the days they're not in. 

Each teacher has done a vid and uploaded it. So the kids have seen their new classroom, 'met ' their new teacher and ,hopefully , settle in better to the new way of living arm.

On a different note, I've stopped watching our national updates on TV, And now just watch the ' janey godley ' voice over version on YouTube, brilliant. Even the first minister has said that she loves them, and is in some cases they're , word for word, what she wants to say, but because of the, choice language and as a politician, can't 😂

(Have a watch, but out of ear shot of the kids....🙉)

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 4:48 AM, Saito2 said:

My wife liked this.

Thanks for all the support. It seems inevitable that my daughter will be taught from home at least this year. It will not be easy at times (she still has "meltdowns" common to autistic children at times), but she (and us, honestly) will be far safer. I'll be the main risk factor at that point, going to work with no measures in place, but I wear a mask (despite the mockery of coworkers at times) and try my best to be vigilant. Locals will accuse us of being "overprotective" but let them take risk with their kids, not us. Its refreshing to hear opinions from those here across the country and world and to know we're not alone despite being an "island" among these local conservatives that chose to politicize this health-related issue. 

Ugh, don't get me started on the politicization of the virus...

The clown in charge did nothing about this virus for months.  Nothing.  It's sick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

The clown in charge did nothing about this virus for months.  Nothing.  It's sick.

It didn't hold his, evidently very short, interest. It didn't fit his narrative. It wasn't about his "vaunted" economy. He couldn't bully it or write nasty or racist tweets to belittle it other than to call it the "Chinese Virus". It was a nuisance to him so he downplayed it, and tried to sweep its importance under the rug while happily blowing sunshine everywhere about how it will probably go away when the warmer weather came here. In so doing, he didn't lead by example. He didn't wear a mask or really push for Americans to do so. He didn't adhere to social distancing measures or really anything else the medical professionals suggested and thus, he politicized it. There could not have been a worse time in our history under this type of "leadership" for a pandemic such as this to strike. Its a perfect storm in a sense and we are right in the middle of it. Tragically, many many people paid with their lives. I'm sorry if my statements offended anyone and if you are on the other side of this argument I'm not trying to change your mind. I won't be nearly as strident as his supporters local to me are but I'm not going to just let this injustice slip by without comment. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Saito2 said:

It didn't hold his, evidently very short, interest. It didn't fit his narrative. It wasn't about his "vaunted" economy. He couldn't bully it or write nasty or racist tweets to belittle it other than to call it the "Chinese Virus". It was a nuisance to him so he downplayed it, and tried to sweep its importance under the rug while happily blowing sunshine everywhere about how it will probably go away when the warmer weather came here. In so doing, he didn't lead by example. He didn't wear a mask or really push for Americans to do so. He didn't adhere to social distancing measures or really anything else the medical professionals suggested and thus, he politicized it. There could not have been a worse time in our history under this type of "leadership" for a pandemic such as this to strike. Its a perfect storm in a sense and we are right in the middle of it. Tragically, many many people paid with their lives. I'm sorry if my statements offended anyone and if you are on the other side of this argument I'm not trying to change your mind. I won't be nearly as strident as his supporters local to me are but I'm not going to just let this injustice slip by without comment. 

100 percent agree.  Couldn't of stated it better myself.  He's a self serving, callous, pathetic excuse for a human being, let alone a President.   I have a daughter in elementary school and my wife teaches middle school so I get a double dose of anxiety when it comes to school this year.  I'm hoping they go back to remote learning for the fall but we shall see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I have a daughter in elementary school and my wife teaches middle school so I get a double dose of anxiety when it comes to school this year.  I'm hoping they go back to remote learning for the fall but we shall see.

I hope so too for you and your family's sake and safety. Our district has been changing its stance on about a weekly basis. What started as 100% in-school, "normal" operations with little to no safeguards has gradually evolved into a hybrid arrangement of home and in-school. The number of children in the school will be cut in half with half doing in-school while the others are home and then they rotate. This is to maintain proper social distancing in the classrooms. Everybody is to be masked at all times now and it doesn't look like recess will be happening. Lunch will likely be in the classroom. Its an improvement from ignoring the situation which was their initial stance. My wife and I signed our daughter up for the full at-home "digital academy" program the district offers so we're avoiding the whole evolving mess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I hope so too for you and your family's sake and safety. Our district has been changing its stance on about a weekly basis. What started as 100% in-school, "normal" operations with little to no safeguards has gradually evolved into a hybrid arrangement of home and in-school. The number of children in the school will be cut in half with half doing in-school while the others are home and then they rotate. This is to maintain proper social distancing in the classrooms. Everybody is to be masked at all times now and it doesn't look like recess will be happening. Lunch will likely be in the classroom. Its an improvement from ignoring the situation which was their initial stance. My wife and I signed our daughter up for the full at-home "digital academy" program the district offers so we're avoiding the whole evolving mess.

Yes, it's certainly a mess, with President "I take no responsibility" at the helm.  Scary times for sure.

• Like 1

The schools here keep flipping from part time in class to full time distance learning. An e-mail this morning says it will all be distance learning to start. It seems many places in the US are ignoring the virus and trying to pretend to go back to normal. Luckily for me I don't live in one of those places.

The situation in the world sucks right now, but it will suck a whole lot more if we ignore it.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 6:49 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

@Saito2, if I still had younger children at home I would seriously consider either an online option or simply pull them out of the system to home school them.  The transmission and effects of the virus are pretty well understood, and we all know kids spread disease each school year from touching, sneezing, and coughing on each other.  Every one of them will bring it home, and this bioweapon will take its toll on the population soon enough.

If you live in the USA, go to Google News and search on "school covid".  It's looking like total chaos out there as the school year begins.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

If you live in the USA, go to Google News and search on "school covid".

And yet STILL, a growing number of people in my community think Covid will magically disappear after the election because its all blown out of proportion to harm the current president. If you bring up death tolls they'll tell you they're fake and not really Covid deaths because the medical community is secretly against the president. If you bring up the worldwide scope of this pandemic, they just broaden the conspiracy to include the rest of the world, claiming they are jealous of the president. Like, I tell my wife, its pointless to debate with a conspiracy theorist. They always put the burden of proof on you and even if you prove them wrong, they can just make up some new outlandish story because they aren't bound to the facts.

I do like a good conspiracy theory, but we've gone from mobile phone masts, to celebrity vampires , and now trying to create a , new world order! 😳

Kids have been back in school a week, and now we've an outbreak at a school in a neighbouring town, really not looking forward to this year's, flu season.....