Ray McCaleb

Introduction and information request

Hi, my name is Ray...retired...raced 1/10 dirt oval in mid-80s at Bolink in Atlanta, GA, USA. Flew planes, heli, drones...out of all that and easing back into surface. Love the 1/14 semis. Have a Grand Hauler coming next week and want to plan a build for the months ahead.

If I understand correctly and trying to stay as stock as possible:

* for US prototypes I will likely use an MFU-01 for sound as MFU-03 is European.

* desire to have low speed operation, not top end speed. Option to use reduction gearbox in addition to stock 3 speed OR use a 50-55 turn or 80 turn motor. Advice?

* planning to use a Tamiya Attack to keep it simple, though the Tenergy TGY-I6 looks attractive.

Advice welcomed.

Hi Ray

MFU-01 sounds right for the American rigs, as these were the first models produced by Tamiya, Euro trucks came later.

I can answer the motor question, I would go for an 80 turn motor in favour of an additional reduction box. Space will be at a premium under the bonnet, especially with the MFU fitted, the 80 turn motor will also increase your run times. Downside is the lower power output, but unless your planning on towing a trailer full of steel rods or concrete blocks then it will be fine. 

Have you thought about a trailer yet ?

Hey Ray, welcome to one of the better RC forums in the world. You'll get a lot of VERY experienced guys and gals around here, many of us much like you have been into this stuff on and off for 30+ years (I've been in the hobby since the golden 80's as well).

Well I can say that firstly the Grand Hauler is an absolute beaut. I just built one (still going) as you can see in my detailed thread on here. I used the MFC-03 as I got this just as we went into COVID lockdown and stock of everything was sold out. To be honest I can't tell any difference at all, no comparison of course but meh... From what I gather in lots of reading the MFC-03 is a new model as well and has better functionality. But in reality they're both amazing, the issue of course is the programming! If you go down the path of the TGY-06 my thread will help and also there is a YouTube on how to program it.

On 7/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, MadInventor said:

Hi Ray

MFU-01 sounds right for the American rigs, as these were the first models produced by Tamiya, Euro trucks came later.

I can answer the motor question, I would go for an 80 turn motor in favour of an additional reduction box. Space will be at a premium under the bonnet, especially with the MFU fitted, the 80 turn motor will also increase your run times. Downside is the lower power output, but unless your planning on towing a trailer full of steel rods or concrete blocks then it will be fine. 

Have you thought about a trailer yet ?

Thanks for the info! I am leaning toward a motor with the higher than stock turns over the reduction gear.

Oh yes, definitely have been thinking about a trailer. The RC4WD/BigDog looks good, but I will start with a fifth wheel...most likely a Tamiya flatbed.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, JNSD1 said:

Hey Ray, welcome to one of the better RC forums in the world. You'll get a lot of VERY experienced guys and gals around here, many of us much like you have been into this stuff on and off for 30+ years (I've been in the hobby since the golden 80's as well).

Well I can say that firstly the Grand Hauler is an absolute beaut. I just built one (still going) as you can see in my detailed thread on here. I used the MFC-03 as I got this just as we went into COVID lockdown and stock of everything was sold out. To be honest I can't tell any difference at all, no comparison of course but meh... From what I gather in lots of reading the MFC-03 is a new model as well and has better functionality. But in reality they're both amazing, the issue of course is the programming! If you go down the path of the TGY-06 my thread will help and also there is a YouTube on how to program it.

Appreciate the reply! I went back and reread your complete thread...lots of good information there. I decided to buy the Turnigy TGY-I6 and give it a go. It is on the way from Hobbyconcepts with the left gimbal mod (return to center) done and the programming for the Grand/King Hauler already entered. The price was right...about the same as the radio+gimbal mod kit. He also lists a prebuilt transmission/motor unit that is test run and guaranteed. What led me down this path were his Youtube videos...I watched the one today on wireless truck-to-trailer lighting using a second receiver and led controller. Glad you found the MFC-03...both are available here in the US...I will most likely go with the MFC-01.

• Like 1