Ferruz

50529 Plastic gears: why not recommended?

I'd like to hear your two cents about this one, as it's really confusing me.

It is widespread knowledge that the 50529 plastic gear hop up for touring cars is suitable for the Manta Ray. More than that, apparently it's a must hop up, in order to get rid of the aluminum gears, that brittle.

This hop up is universally recommended, so I finally got one for my car (for some reason, it escaped my attention until recently).

Look at what is written in the instructions:

20200712-190308.jpg

Not compatible with 1/10 R/C off-road buggies! :blink: my question is: WHY? 

While I can totally understand that Tamiya wouldn't bother specifying all the compatible platforms, I can't get this warning: why actively specify the non-compatibility with something this hop up is widely used on, unless there is a real reason?

I would like to know why they'd do that, not that the instruction will prevent me from installing it obviously but still, I do need to know your opionion on this :P

I think Tamiya genuinely believe that their alloy cheese is better suited to the job. 

• Like 2

Probably because on-road cars are stable on the track without much vibration compared to an off-road buggy. Although gears should be intact anyway and no shaking should be happening inside the gearbox. Not really sure.

• Like 1

That statement might also have something to do with the variations of rear gear box molds on DF-01. If I understood correctly, the original versions could not fit high speed gear set and maybe for some  obscure reason neither this full plastic gear. The newer version with the H-stamp are to my understanding totally similar to what was/is used in the on-road chassis based on DF-01.