Super ally

Best and worst part of this hobby.

What are the best and worst parts of this hobby,for me it would be the satisfaction of building a kit from scratch.The worst would be the cost of some kits.

For me the bits I hate;

Adjusting ball diffs

Stiff turnbuckles

Drilling body post holes and then the shell doesnt quite line up properly with the wheel arches. Drilling it a bit more. Then a bit more. Then ruining a perfectly good shell.

The gouging sound of a trapped stone under the a pristine chassis for the first time its driven.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

For me the bits I hate;

Adjusting ball diffs

Stiff turnbuckles

Drilling body post holes and then the shell doesnt quite line up properly with the wheel arches. Drilling it a bit more. Then a bit more. Then ruining a perfectly good shell.

The gouging sound of a trapped stone under the a pristine chassis for the first time its driven.

And what are the best bits.

Opening a new kit, particularly the rereleases and seeing all the parts laid out. 

The manual and the anticipation of opening the first screw parts bag.

Building a chassis of a type you have never built before.

• Like 1

The best part of this hobby is hunting down parts at old hobby shops. Sometimes you find a treasure trove

Worst part is being pestered to sell a rare item. Being told how they always wanted to do a certain build so you sell them the part and see it a few weeks later on eBay with a stiff markup. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

For me the bits I hate;

Stiff turnbuckles

This is exactly why I ordered one of these below. Turnbuckles are no longer much of a problem anymore:

53858.jpg

• Like 3

I like solving problems best.

I don't mind the cost of the kits themselves so much as I mind the nickel and dime stuff I have to keep buying, not to mention shipping costs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super ally said:

What are the best and worst parts of this hobby,for me it would be the satisfaction of building a kit from scratch.The worst would be the cost of some kits.

This is me too. I like the building and tinkering parts but hate to spend some of the money being asked of us....But yet I still do it.

• Like 1

The parts I like best:

Building a kit I've never built before.

Building a kit I have built before :D

Disassembling a kit to install a better part than what was originally on it.

Finding a super-rare part that I'd been waiting for at a reasonable price.

Finding a super-rare part that I didn't even know existed and buying it at any price lol.

The parts I hate:

Waiting for shipments to arrive.

Spray-painting bodies.

CUTTING LEXAN.

Cutting out hundreds of tiny/narrow/difficult stickers.

My subconscious telling me that I like to tinker with my rc's more than I like to drive them, and that I'm just wasting money on this hobby :lol:

• Like 5

The best parts:

• Spending half a day loading the van, driving 4+ hours with my favourite music playing, pitching an awning, laying out my cars and tools and spending a whole weekend in the summer sun laughing, racing, bashing, drinking and eating junk foods with mates from all over the country
  • Continually going back to a model I've just finished and looking at it again and again, as if it will take me several viewings to fully appreciate its awesomeness
  • During the height of lockdown, when we were told we were likely to die if we just went for a walk to the end of the estate and back, being able to pop into the workshop on my weekly day off and always find something to occupy myself

The worst parts:

• Cutting lexan bodies
  • Masking lexan bodies
  • Having a huge stack of small parts that need sanding, masking and painting all at once
  • As the desire for perfection grows and more and more stuff is designed on the computer, finding myself with a longer and longer list of things that I need to sit down in front of a screen in order to finish - I spend my entire working life in front of a screen as well as my other two hobbies, I'd rather not spend my RC time behind a screen also.  But I don't want to delegate to anyone else because a) I can't afford to pay what they're asking, 2) they'll do a terrible job or iii) I'll have to wait for a slot in their schedule
  • As I get better at CAD and graphic design, finding more and more people wanting my services, which I have not advertised and do not have time to offer, even on a favour-for-favour basis, when I have so little time to do my own stuff as it is
  • Like 3

worst : Turnbuckle thumbs, Steering alignment issues, getting all your parts in the mail then realizing you forgot one little thing that you must have to finish repairs, overpriced kits, the wait for shipping from HK, Shipping costs, conversion rates, LHS that doesnt carry Tamiya.....AT ALL, PS finding its way through a mask job you would bet money on was perfectly done, wrong pinion, parts always out of stock, ruining a body paint job...........

best : All of the above, learning what you dont know, community, scoring a kit you always wanted, finishing a build, ordering parts, satisfaction of solving issues.

• Like 4

Best:
- The nostalgia and being able to afford all the stuff I want now (within reason). 
- Building kits and looking up info on kits I always wanted but never had.
- Enjoying it with my 11 year old now

Worst:
- Being in the states, it is more difficult to find Tamiya parts and hop-ups, and waiting for parts from UK or HK while the car sits busted in the corner.
- Anything related to lexan bodies
- c clips. Despite them!

• Like 1

Worst : Being held to ransom by price gouging sellers, crap international conversion rates.

Best : Everything else. B)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

Worst : Being held to ransom by price gouging sellers, crap international conversion rates.

Best : Everything else. B)

100% correct.

• Like 2

Best bit: opening then building, then painting a 2011 re re Avante 

Worst bit: Driving a 2011 Avante

Don't meet your heroes, kids.

• Haha 6

Best:

Buying, restoring, racing, bashing, building, breaking and fixing.

Tamiya RC guide books/

Wing slogans

Memories of going into LHS's in the early 90's

Worst:

Resellers, hoarders price fixers etc. 

• Like 4

Best for me:  hunting vintage parts.

Worst for me:  monthly visa bill.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

There are several best parts for me. One, building them in lue of just pulling one out of a box and running it. I always enjoyed the build as much if not even more than running them. The other best part (decades later) is the smile on my kids and grand kids faces when I break out the old vintage cars they grew up with for an afternoon of running them. 

Worst part, is seeing a wheel, or part fly off in mid run on that 35+ year old car that you may, or may not be able to find a replacement part for. 

• Like 2

Finally getting my hands on a mint condition kit which was my first RC back in 1988. The marui shogun. WOW

Bad bits, tamiya not making certain hop ups such as mini hi caps

IMG_20200625_161032.jpg

• Like 4

Best Parts:

-Buying a new kit and bringing the large box home with an ear-to-ear grin thinking about the fun build ahead

-Free time to build a kit on a clean desk with tools aligned, favorite background video/music/snacks all set up

-Peeling off masking tape with no runs

-Peeling off the over-spray film and revealing the true color and shine

-Getting the right hop-up and desired result after an initial test run and seeing the obvious improvement

-Looking at a fleet of models that were tweaked to my liking

Worst Parts:

-Realizing how much money was spent after a build is complete (oh well.. necessary evil I say)

- e-clips

- Out-of-stock  just seeing these words in sequence makes me cringe now

- stripped 1.5mm hex's

- gluing tires (for me anyway)

- that unseen bump in the road 50 meters away that sends a car airborne

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best bit-   Ordering something that makes me smile.

Worst bit-  Waiting for the Postman to turn up.

• Like 2

Best bit:   That feeling when you open a new kit for the first time

Worst bit: That feeling when you roll / flip a new built model for the first time

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 1:10 PM, DeadMeat666 said:

This is exactly why I ordered one of these below. Turnbuckles are no longer much of a problem anymore:

53858.jpg

I seriously have no idea what this is or how it works on turn buckles???

I really badly want it though. Whats it called? Part number?

Is somehing else supposed to go in the hole in the end?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best bit being able to afford the kit of your dreams (tamiya avante) without thinking if I buy that more important things like paying for everyday life has to take a bashing and when said dream arrives opening it and smelling them tamiya tyres!

Worse things is when you've built the little work of engineering art wanting to use it but don't want to use it because you will scratch or damage it!

• Like 3