Super ally

Best and worst part of this hobby.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:51 PM, slimleeroy said:

I have a re re avante and have only run it lightly a few times. I really want to see what it can do but too scared to do it 

go run it. I know and understand the pretty shelf queen thing, also the money invested. but hey, if u want a shelf queen do static models. just my unwanted two cents

• Like 1

The best bit is being able to share my lifelong hobby with my son. Other good bits are the encouragement and help I get from other members on here when I'm in the midst of an insane build that no-one else is stupid enough to try. I start off thinking, 'I'm going to build one of those, no-one else has done anything like it', and then half way through the build I realise why no-one else has tried to build it.... Oh, and the relief when a long term project is finally completed.

Bad points:

Not too much really,  my main bugbear at the moment Tamiya's new instruction manuals where you get a manual for the chassis, and then an addendum leaflet for the bodywork. What a backward step...

Also it would nice for Tamiya to give some of the old warhorse models a bit of a mid life update, such as TXT-1 wheels, hubs, and stub axles for the clod buster.

And when are we going to get another re-run of the TXT-1 ?????? TXT-2 chassis was ok, but the bodyshell, wheels, and tires.... blurgh...

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

The best bit is being able to share my lifelong hobby with my son. Other good bits are the encouragement and help I get from other members on here when I'm in the midst of an insane build that no-one else is stupid enough to try. I start off thinking, 'I'm going to build one of those, no-one else has done anything like it', and then half way through the build I realise why no-one else has tried to build it.... 

Speaking of which, while  I was out and about on my rounds I saw something  at an entrance to a property I was delivering to and thought of you, perhaps you have a distant relation in Oz? 
And for your next project.......

A tracked Wheelie Farm King or something?

BF4F3B26-0E20-4D06-8F9B-7A334CABF671.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Speaking of which, while  I was out and about on my rounds I saw something  at an entrance to a property I was delivering to and thought of you, perhaps you have a distant relation in Oz? 

That is actually very cool. It's amazing what you can find on farms where stuff has just been left sat for years.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

3 hours ago, MadInventor said:

That is actually very cool. It's amazing what you can find on farms where stuff has just been left sat for years.

I have the perfect next project for @MadInventor - 'Big Lizzie'

Would be a big hit for tractor enthusiasts world wide.

I'd throw in some $$ for a crowd funded project to see this engineering marvel re-produced in an RC form. :)

7ebc9c081d48931bc62c032cc0c419b7.md.jpg

Big-Lizzie-vs-land-rover-x640.md.jpg

• Like 2

Best part for me, is the people!

All a great group of people, wether online, or in person at clubs (still can't get my head around why ,not everyone is in a club, but hey...🤷‍♂️), men, women, children, are all treated the same (especially if you're racing, when the flag drops the bull $£¥€, stops 😂)

Worst part, is probably not enough time!(not the hobby/sports fault..), 

So many cars I want to own, drive, modify, so many projects I wish I could do! 

• Like 2

Oh, plastic bushes and soft aluminum pinions,  why tamiya, why??? 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Marketing genius, and it’s all you really need for shelf queens 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Painting these darn things, that's it.

the rest is an adventure!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

While I'm in total agreement, tread carefully (j/k). I actually found support for the use of aluminum pinions and plastic bushings in a topic once, lol.

6 hours ago, ACCEL said:

Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ACCEL said:

the rest is an adventure!

Dont try to be clever, just a couple colours :-)

Best :

• Building.
  • Painting. 
  • Bringing an old heap off ebay back to life.B)  
  • The endless research for the next build / hop up / spare / idea / bargain.

Worst :

• Cutting and sanding lexan.
  • The prices total wrecks are making on ebay right now. 
  • Finding a good spot to use your cars.
  • Youtube videos with overpowered cars cartwheeling all over the place. Leave that to the Traxxas / Arrma brigade :ph34r:
  • Like 2

Best Bits:

The people I've met along the way, those I've bought and traded with

Building a new kit

Restoring something to how I'd like it

Modifying something to make it fit/work

Bad Bits

All my R/C stuff being packed away in a lock up that needs tidying!

Kids who see you running a car in the street taking the mickey out of a grown man playing with a 'toy'

Breaking something that's hard to find or just plain expensive

Having nowhere to do the hobby at the moment (I plan on changing that though!)

Plenty more good and bad bits, but those are the ones that come to me whilst I eat my lunch at work!

On 7/23/2020 at 9:50 AM, Saito2 said:

While I'm in total agreement, tread carefully (j/k). I actually found support for the use of aluminum pinions and plastic bushings in a topic once, lol.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Because tamiya know that they will destroy your spur gear then you have to buy a while gear set to replace.  Same with the plastic bushings. They actually wear the shafts aswell so unless you install bearings from the offset, you're fu@ked

1 hour ago, slimleeroy said:

Because tamiya know that they will destroy your spur gear then you have to buy a while gear set to replace.  Same with the plastic bushings. They actually wear the shafts aswell so unless you install bearings from the offset, you're fu@ked

Hey, I agree, that's how I feel and why I install ball bearings and a steel pinion from the start but some other members disagreed. To each their own I guess.

• Like 1