Super ally

Best and worst part of this hobby.

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

I seriously have no idea what this is or how it works on turn buckles???

I really badly want it though. Whats it called? Part number?

Is somehing else supposed to go in the hole in the end?

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-5mm-adjuster-wrench-53858-00032492

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried it yet, but it seems to hold on to adjuster ends pretty nicely. If you're willing to wait a few hours, I'll give it a go when I get home and let you know how well it works, and post a picture of it in action.

54 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried it yet, but it seems to hold on to adjuster ends pretty nicely. If you're willing to wait a few hours, I'll give it a go when I get home and let you know how well it works, and post a picture of it in action.

You have no idea how excited i am about this.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, DeadMeat666 said:

I'm intrigued, and looking forward to seeing how this works.

There was one moment that restored my faith. It was when I was on the hunt for a set of MIP front uprights for my MIP 4x buggy. 

F111FC56-394A-4037-B58F-8A278CCD781E_zps

I finally get a hold of a 4x chassis chassis and find you have to use the MIP uprights.  Bummed because I had a few sets of them in the past and sold them on because I felt the RCH mounts were stronger. So for about 2 years I’m on the hunt for a set. I put out wanted threads on message boards. Followed up on leads only to be rudely told their parts were not for sale.  Then one day a set got listed for an insane price. Three people emailed to tell me a set was up on eBay. I bit the bullet and paid the insane buy it now. It was heartwarming to see the camaraderie among other collectors.   

• Like 3

11 hours ago, moffman said:

Best bit being able to afford the kit of your dreams (tamiya avante) without thinking if I buy that more important things like paying for everyday life has to take a bashing and when said dream arrives opening it and smelling them tamiya tyres!

Worse things is when you've built the little work of engineering art wanting to use it but don't want to use it because you will scratch or damage it!

I have a re re avante and have only run it lightly a few times. I really want to see what it can do but too scared to do it 

44 minutes ago, slimleeroy said:

I have a re re avante and have only run it lightly a few times. I really want to see what it can do but too scared to do it 

I have a never run fox which i paid a lot of money for with the intention of running it but have been too scared to run it.

• Like 1

Me and my lad have a pair of beautiful , as new, marui's, a ninja and a shogun. I would love to run them but my son won't let me lol.  They are the highlights of our collection and we have quite a few awesome cars

• Like 1

Only have one kit for now, but

The best part: Building and tinkering the kit

The worst part: The urge to buy another kit and the monthly credit card bill :D

• Like 1

Right now I’ve just rage quit trying to fit the side bolts to the beetle shell that secure the nose, the ones with the captive nut.. my eyes are too old and that nut is too small, it doesn’t line up, nut keeps falling out And there is no proper LOS to the screw head. I’d like to visit the designer of this feature and give them some stern words. Might be back later with best bits because I’m putting myself in time out.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Morinstal said:

I know how you feel,one is never enough 😁

7 hours ago, Morinstal said:

In the span of 6 months, I promised myself only one kit (LunchBox), then only two (TT02B), then only three (DF03), then only four (TT02S), then only five (M07), and nowadays I catch myself looking at a TB05 Pro :ph34r::D... I'm falling down the rabbit hole too fast!!!  Someone help!

I'm quickly running out of places to hide this stuff from my wife!!!!!! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Lee76 said:

Right now I’ve just rage quit trying to fit the side bolts to the beetle shell that secure the nose, the ones with the captive nut.. my eyes are too old and that nut is too small, it doesn’t line up, nut keeps falling out And there is no proper LOS to the screw head. I’d like to visit the designer of this feature and give them some stern words. Might be back later with best bits because I’m putting myself in time out.

put a bit of clear tape on the back of the nut to hold it in place while you "manipulate" the plastic body to line up the screw to get the threads started.  Not the easiest thing to do I'll admit.. but I found it helped for guys with over-sized hands

• Like 1

BEST: restoration is the best for me, better than getting a car in good running conditions, and I even prefer restoring than NIB kits. It's crazy.

WORST: missing one little bit to make the whole thing run feels awful. That and how much space these cars consume. Thirty cars makes life complicated.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Killajb said:

put a bit of clear tape on the back of the nut to hold it in place while you "manipulate" the plastic body to line up the screw to get the threads started.  Not the easiest thing to do I'll admit.. but I found it helped for guys with over-sized hands

Thanks, I actually have the child like hands of someone that drives a mouse and keyboard for a living and the eyes of someone with 25000 hours plus of Cad use... Tape might help but there is another complication, I added the sintered wheel arches which makes the front end a little stiff to manipulate, up to the point I’m worried I’ll crack the joint.. I just need to hit it agin in daylight! If I wasn’t thinking of the clear coat needed I’d probably have used a bit of grease to hold it.

On 7/16/2020 at 2:42 PM, Superluminal said:

You have no idea how excited i am about this.

@Superluminal @Falcon#5 I've given the Tamiya adjuster wrench a try, and it pretty much does what it says on the tin, so to speak. It hold the adjuster piece snugly and allows for comfortable assembly without causing "turnbuckle thumbs." Very impressed:

IMG-20200717-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20200717-WA0017.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

BEST: restoration is the best for me, better than getting a car in good running conditions, and I even prefer restoring than NIB kits. It's crazy.

WORST: missing one little bit to make the whole thing run feels awful. That and how much space these cars consume. Thirty cars makes life complicated.

I get what you mean about restoring a car and bringing it back to its former glory.That must bring you more satisfaction than just building from new.I have a fox that needs restored so l need to have a look at it.

1 hour ago, DeadMeat666 said:

@Superluminal @Falcon#5 I've given the Tamiya adjuster wrench a try, and it pretty much does what it says on the tin, so to speak. It hold the adjuster piece snugly and allows for comfortable assembly without causing "turnbuckle thumbs." Very impressed:

Ahh, it's intended purpose becomes clear!

A valuable tool it is indeed. B)

I love the creativity, the aesthetic and the engineering of RC. I am struggling a lot at the moment and having a really nice easy release has been incredibly helpful. I love the first few steps of a restoration when all the caked on crud and muck starts to fall away and it can be made good again. 

Weirdly, the thing I dislike the most is the space they take up. I wish they were all about half the size so they can fit easily in backpacks and on the shelf! I also take issue with some of the seriousness. Even with hardcore collectors, you can have a huge amount of money and time committed into a collection but they're still toy cars. And I think toys deserve to be played with. 

• Like 3

On 7/17/2020 at 1:16 PM, Super ally said:

I get what you mean about restoring a car and bringing it back to its former glory.That must bring you more satisfaction than just building from new.I have a fox that needs restored so l need to have a look at it.

I love working on the early stuff.  I have just finished a Kyosho Circuit 20 cloan, Sankyo Sigma BMW, complete with a rebuilt OS21 engine.  I stripped and cleaned/light polished, some new parts for the clutch I found a few years ago and new radio gear.  Love it - see enclosed picture, and boy does it go!

I loved the early Noughties, when eBay was full of cheap old nitro RC cars from the 70's and 80's

I dont like it now, everyone advertises at silly high 'Buy it Now' prices that will never sell to make money

I like the fact I have hooked up with people I raced with BitD, some where my hero's at the time, full works drivers etc, now the stories come out of the petty politics that occurred (83 1/8th World Champs is a good example).

I dont like how long it take to find parts and tools - anyone recommend some good small spanners?  I have some really neat Britool ones from years ago but not a full set.  No one seems to make good quality stuff anymore :-(

I hate the fact I cant find anywhere to run my 60mph 10kg 1/8th buggies, or my 80mph circuit racers locally, not much empty space in Surrey, and people like to moan about the noise of a wailing two-stroke at 30,000rpm

IMG_20200620_214137.JPG

• Like 2

Best Part: Imagining it to be 1:1.  Sometimes I forget that these are miniatures of real things.  I treat it like just another form of entertainment like a camera or something.  But I still remember how exciting it was to imagine that my Porsche 956 and Grasshopper were real cars back in 1987.  I still try not to forget the wonder of a car running in a world where everything is 10 times bigger.  

Worse Part:  Needing a room for the fleet.  My wife is not a fan of all the decoration I do around the house with gears and tires.  She wants me to be "normal."  Not if I can help it!  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Best Part: Imagining it to be 1:1.  Sometimes I forget that these are miniatures of real things.  I treat it like just another form of entertainment like a camera or something.  But I still remember how exciting it was to imagine that my Porsche 956 and Grasshopper were real cars back in 1987.  I still try not to forget the wonder of a car running in a world where everything is 10 times bigger.  

Worse Part:  Needing a room for the fleet.  My wife is not a fan of all the decoration I do around the house with gears and tires.  She wants me to be "normal."  Not if I can help it!  

My fiancee isnt a fan of this hobby either,she says dont let anyone see you driving them toy cars.😂

• Haha 3

Best part: The feeling of camaraderie with other Tamiya fans both online and at events, who may enjoy different models in different ways to me, but are happy to share advice and encouragement all the same.

Worst part: Those few individuals who think that everything not of interest to them personally is rubbish, and that theirs is the only "right way" to do the hobby.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Juggular said:

I have the same problem we are normal it's our wives that are not normal,I see no problem sitting at the dining table eating tea with a slightly disassembled buggy there aswell 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My wife and I are both makers of things, so partly completed projects on the dining room table is the norm in our house. So much so that it hardly ever gets used for eating anymore. At one point we got ourselves a pair of folding tables to put in front of the sofa to hold our food, but we now both use them as workspaces too, so we just hold the plates on our laps. Much easier! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2020 at 3:11 AM, Superluminal said:

I seriously have no idea what this is or how it works on turn buckles???

I really badly want it though. Whats it called? Part number?

Is somehing else supposed to go in the hole in the end?

its to save ur thumbs doung turnbuckles