RCcoachworks

Vintage Grasshopper fuse help

My fellow vintage Grasshopper aficionados,

I may be getting down into the weeds with the details of this, but I have an old Grasshopper that I am restoring and it has a fuse attached to the speed controller. I can't seem to find any photo evidence of what the fuse looked like on the first Grasshoppers, so I'm not sure that what I have is original or not. There have been modifications made to the wiring on this speedo, so it's hard to tell what's original and what isn't. The blue insulator is covering a crimped connector that spliced in a Tamiya bullet connector.

Questions:

1) Is this speed control and fuse original? Is the plastic covering original? I think the SC at least is original because it does not have a BEC plug to power the receiver and the car was set up to use a receiver battery pack, just like it does in the manual I have.

2) Does anyone recommend restoring this? It is cracked around the negative battery wire and one of the contacts. I have an original Hornet MSC I could swap in.

3) The manual I have makes no mention of a fuse. Is there an earlier manual that does?

Thanks!

IMG_20200714_101643.thumb.jpg.a5d7af30f70bd5ac2ab2847904820b74.jpg

IMG_20200714_101709.thumb.jpg.e68e12981a0fd97633123189314c0c12.jpg

The speed controller is original,i have a vintage hornet and it has the same speed controller with fuse.This is only on the early models so is rare.

Rc toy memories site has all the info about the vintage grasshopper,his name is rob and he is a member on here.

Awesome, thank you! I took a look at the Pajero manual and it looks the same as what I have. It's an original! It looks like I have an early vintage model.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RCcoachworks said:

Awesome, thank you! I took a look at the Pajero manual and it looks the same as what I have. It's an original! It looks like I have an early vintage model.

No problem glad i could help.

I had a new in pack original GH MSC , and it did have the plastic coated sleeve over the fuse etc and no battery plug soldered on , just 2 wires for you to do it yourself

Judging by RC Toy Memories, I have something between early vintage and mid vintage.

• The chassis is mid-vintage. I suppose it could have been replaced at some point.
  • Wheel bushings are black plastic (early)
  • Ball connectors are white (mid?)
  • No resistor cover (early)
  • Black SC with fuse (early)
  • B Parts - (early - they are shallower than the gearboxes on my Lunchbox and Pumpkin)

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

I had a new in pack original GH MSC , and it did have the plastic coated sleeve over the fuse etc and no battery plug soldered on , just 2 wires for you to do it yourself

Good to know, thank you. I don't know if I can save this one. I'd have to remove the rivets to get the contacts off so I could glue the fractured black plate, and getting the plastic fuse cover off would likely damage it. It's very brittle and doesn't want to budge. Maybe some heat or lubricant might help.