Jontea

BDAD : DN(F)01(Sadly gone) and DT02 shenanigans.

Ordered the Kimbrough medium servo saver, and what could be the last hop up (for now) for the DT02, part no. 53926, yup, another set of DF03 alu dampers. 

Should really think about selling a few things now, then I can order another Viper kit. Current thinking is not to build it up, but just keep it for spare parts, don't really do shelf queens, so hop up the current Viper, then when it gets too tatty, build the new kit (this probably won't happen, the new kit will end up getting built straight away, because......).

• Like 1

A small adjustment to the length of the ball joint ends, front turnbuckles done.

IMG_20200807_191735.jpg

I appear to be on a mission to hoover (other floor cleaners are available) up hop up parts that fit the DT02 chassis at the moment. Another set of shocks inbound. 54028: TRF Aeration dampers.

The 2nd wave of covid seems to be ramping up, especially in the Far East, sure it won't be long til it hits us again, with that in mind I've accelerated my DT02+ schedule, and orderd a new kit. There will definitely be no rush building it (the kit is from a UK retailer, so that shouldn't take too long), I'm waiting on parts from Hong Kong and Japan, so build will go ahead when those parts make their merry way to Cheshire.

DN01 gear diff update: still waiting for the diff and motor plate, 😪

Bits have started to arrive!

By the end of the week all UK sourced parts for the DT02+ (not quite a MS, guess which bit will be missing!) should have arrived, then it'll be a waiting game for driveshafts and shocks (Hong Kong and Japan respectively).

By the end of the week DN(F)01 should be fully operational. Yes, the gear diff and motor plate are here!

IMG_20200810_182555.jpg

• Like 3

Nice haul of goodies a few of my bits have turned up as well from the far east happy days👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 2

Couple of O rings, washers, pins, some gears, and some tiny tiny screws. Nothing to complicated. And no balls!

IMG_20200810_194025.jpg

• Like 3

What was the total cost for this diff upgrade if you don't mind me asking? Tempted to do this.

pm if need be 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, Seanster43 said:

What was the total cost for this diff upgrade if you don't mind me asking? Tempted to do this.

pm if need be 👍🏻

Erm, top of my head, £35ish for the gearbox (got the P12 version, what Cy recommends), £20 for the diff (from RC Jaz ), then oil, £4.75. I think with postage from around the world about £75.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, Jontea said:

Bits have started to arrive!

By the end of the week all UK sourced parts for the DT02+ (not quite a MS, guess which bit will be missing!) should have arrived, then it'll be a waiting game for driveshafts and shocks (Hong Kong and Japan respectively).

By the end of the week DN(F)01 should be fully operational. Yes, the gear diff and motor plate are here!

IMG_20200810_182555.jpg

Yellow to spice things up, nice :D

I take it you know the lightweight version of the motor plate doesn't have the deep recess for the screw on cover that the standard blue TRF version has to keep out dust?

Just means you will get more dust on the pinion/slipper clutch/spur). I don't know how much difference it makes in practice as I have only ever had the standard TRF version on.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, Jontea said:

By the end of the week all UK sourced parts for the DT02+ (not quite a MS, guess which bit will be missing!)

Will it be the heatsink? When building my own not-quite-MS DT-02, I found that it conflicted with the connections on the brushless motor. 

Or the ball diff perhaps? I found a gear diff too be more reliable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manix92 said:

Yellow to spice things up, nice :D

I take it you know the lightweight version of the motor plate doesn't have the deep recess for the screw on cover that the standard blue TRF version has to keep out dust?

Just means you will get more dust on the pinion/slipper clutch/spur). I don't know how much difference it makes in practice as I have only ever had the standard TRF version on.

Don't think the wheels will be staying yellow and white.

Yeah, Tamiya didn't really get the gear covers right on these, I just run a bit of insulation tape around the motor plate/ cover interface.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Will it be the heatsink? When building my own not-quite-MS DT-02, I found that it conflicted with the connections on the brushless motor. 

Or the ball diff perhaps? I found a gear diff too be more reliable. 

Well, yes, the heatsink will be missing, forgot that was on the MS, but I was mainly getting at the ball diff, BDAD!

• Like 1

All UK sourced parts have now arrived, ordered the wrong size shims, should've ordered 3mm! 5mm ones will be ok for taking the wobble out of the front wheels, so not a complete waste.

Just gotta be patient now and wait for Far East sourced goodies to arrive.

IMG_20200813_175111.jpg

1 hour ago, Jontea said:

Bit of messin about before the RIT dye arrives.

IMG_20200813_201141.jpg

Haha class!  Been a good thread this mate has helped me out a lot with things for my TRF 201. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2020 at 8:27 PM, Jontea said:

Erm, top of my head, £35ish for the gearbox (got the P12 version, what Cy recommends), £20 for the diff (from RC Jaz ), then oil, £4.75. I think with postage from around the world about £75.

Nice one got a few more bits to source too in the middle of a TB-01 Resto as well. Good fun though 😂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seanster43 said:

Haha class!  Been a good thread this mate has helped me out a lot with things for my TRF 201. 👍🏻

Glad you're enjoying it. Thought I'd go at a build thread a bit differently, a bit more tongue in cheek, less serious than most, but still trying to be informative in regards to my parts/methods choices, and obviously still learning a lot from the more seasoned builders, after all it's been over 30 years since I last built a RC kit.

I must admit I probably enjoy the builds and tinkering just as much (or maybe more, but only a little bit more) as the driving.

DN01 gearbox strip down tomorrow, get that pesky ball diff out, then things will get a little stagnant while shocks and driveshafts find their way here.

Keep looking at other kits, but I know I'd never use a road/rally car. I do enjoy looking at other people's builds of them though, bit of internet voyeurism never did any harm!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jontea said:

Glad you're enjoying it. Thought I'd go at a build thread a bit differently, a bit more tongue in cheek, less serious than most, but still trying to be informative in regards to my parts/methods choices, and obviously still learning a lot from the more seasoned builders, after all it's been over 30 years since I last built a RC kit.

I must admit I probably enjoy the builds and tinkering just as much (or maybe more, but only a little bit more) as the driving.

DN01 gearbox strip down tomorrow, get that pesky ball diff out, then things will get a little stagnant while shocks and driveshafts find their way here.

Keep looking at other kits, but I know I'd never use a road/rally car. I do enjoy looking at other people's builds of them though, bit of internet voyeurism never did any harm!

Likewise I enjoy the building and tinkering as well, seems now that I’m older I have more time in the evenings to do a few bits and less time to drive them as I have more responsibilities now 😂 hoping to get this trf running soon! 

• Like 2